Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

The shape and off the ball movement of the team is way better already so it seems. Midfielders really working hard and not allowing our fullbacks to be doubled up on or left for dead. Allows us to see the best of Targett and Cash too.

Our midfield is absolutely unrecognisable compared to 2 games ago. I was skeptical, but so far, I'm impressed.

We have 3 incredibly difficult fixtures coming up, but we've shown enough promise in the last two games we need to show plenty of patience.

• Like 1

A very excellent performance and result, should have been more than 2-1. SG - he's got no experience - he's only managed in Scotland - well I am happy to say I was wrong, he has changed this team from the get-go, made these players look the real deal - and what a bench of unused players. Top stuff. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

We look a completely different team. Obviously still a lot of work to be done but we look far more comfortable on the ball and a lot more organised as a unit. What was Smith doing in training this past 11 months or so?

Trying to replicated the league winning Leicesters Drinkwater to Vardy/Mahrez combo.

Another excellent gritty performance. We're not creating much, but I think Watkins put it well last week that the standards for application have been raised. Again even the players who didn't play well ran themselves into the ground.

The subs weren't to change the game, they were to maintain the work rate and they did exactly that. Dream start for him and us really.

Happy days. 6 points out of 6. Neither Brighton nor Palace ever looked like scoring against us over 180 minutes (though Palace somehow managed it).

That's been the real hallmark of the Gerrard era so far. Very defensively solid. But where I think we won this game, no surprise, is the midfield. The way we stifled their attacks from the middle third, and also sprung most of ours. 

On the attacking side, I'm liking the 1 touch interplay and the way the midfield has been playing those disguised passes into the forwards' feet. One thing I found weird is that Targett and Cash don't seem to pass the halfway line, which is kind of counterproductive I think, at least in an attacking sense. The wingers have nobody overlapping them and are easier to mark.

8 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

The defence is starting to resemble last year again. I like it. 

I think the announcer said this was the first time since August that the back 4 have played together (or played together consecutively) so it’s nice to have that back. But I’m also a big fan of whatever they’re doing with Nakamba.

Edited by Aston_Villan4

13 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Happy days. 6 points out of 6. Neither Brighton nor Palace ever looked like scoring against us over 180 minutes (though Palace somehow managed it).

That's been the real hallmark of the Gerrard era so far. Very defensively solid. But where I think we won this game, no surprise, is the midfield. The way we stifled their attacks from the middle third, and also sprung most of ours. 

On the attacking side, I'm liking the 1 touch interplay and the way the midfield has been playing those disguised passes into the forwards' feet. One thing I found weird is that Targett and Cash don't seem to pass the halfway line, which is kind of counterproductive I think, at least in an attacking sense. The wingers have nobody overlapping them and are easier to mark.

It's probably one of the main reasons we've looked much more defensively solid. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Â