Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

26 minutes ago, nick76 said:

The thing is that now Smith and Grealish have gone, that loyalty to individuals because they are deemed one of our own has also gone.  Now it’s all about results and performances and given Smith was let go (too early in my opinion but other disagree) it puts pressure on the new manager and also Purslow because they (Owners and Purslow) want more and quickly.  So for Gerrard, proving himself, will be a smaller window more because of actions by the club than by the fans.  I don’t think the worry is the fans but the club re giving him grace and I suppose as fans that maybe a good thing that they aren’t settling and want improvement and very little grace will be given.

Here's an interesting take.

What if, similarly to certain players, they feel there's a higher ceiling, so give him longer rope. Hoping/thinking that he will go on to match and/or exceed expectations in the longer term? ( Arsenal with Arteta as an example? ) Even if the initial steps seem underwhelming to us as fans?

Like when you have a new signing who is proven quality, but doesn't hit the ground running straight away, so you give then time to find their feet and settle?

I agree with you on the " loyalty " bit though, that's one of the things which irked me so much about Jack leaving. 

Some fans won't get it, and other clubs fans certainly won't, but it was heartbreaking and infuriating all at the same time. I'm sure we all had dreams of making the journey into the upper echelons being lead by Villans.

It was something which deeply tied us to the team. It will probably take some time for that to come back, if it ever does for some 

It's sort of like starting all over again, if that makes any sense.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, nick76 said:

The thing is that now Smith and Grealish have gone, that loyalty to individuals because they are deemed one of our own has also gone.  Now it’s all about results and performances and given Smith was let go (too early in my opinion but other disagree) it puts pressure on the new manager and also Purslow because they (Owners and Purslow) want more and quickly.  So for Gerrard, proving himself, will be a smaller window more because of actions by the club than by the fans.  I don’t think the worry is the fans but the club re giving him grace and I suppose as fans that maybe a good thing that they aren’t settling and want improvement and very little grace will be given.

Purslow said he wants continuous improvement. That is not putting pressure on him nor the manager. That is what the job requires. Nobody is hiding that at Villa and Smith will no doubt have been fully aware of this. In his first couple of years Smith delivered continuous improvement. In the last year he didn't and Villa went backwards, hence he lost his job. Gerrard must deliver continuous improvement and as per his presser, Purslow said that Gerrard promised to deliver this. This is not adding any pressure to Purslow or Gerrard. This is what these type of people thrive on. Not everyone wants to go to work each day and have it easy. They want the buzz of a challenge. The idea that Purslow has managed to put himself and Gerrard under unnecessary and new pressure is nonsense imo

2 hours ago, TRO said:

so far, Watkins and Mings are being reported as blown away, with the training and the raising of standards.

Now, of course that has to manifest itself in to games, and that will naturally take time.

Oh dear.....If they've been blown away then it may well take time raising the standards. Does anyone know where they've been blown to? 

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

What if, similarly to certain players, they feel there's a higher ceiling, so give him longer rope. Hoping/thinking that he will go on to match and/or exceed expectations in the longer term? ( Arsenal with Arteta as an example? ) Even if the initial steps seem underwhelming to us as fans?

Like when you have a new signing who is proven quality, but doesn't hit the ground running straight away, so you give then time to find their feet and settle?

Maybe! Certainly not dismissing that.  I think we’ve just seen them be ruthless and I’m not expecting any different in the future.  If Gerrard proves himself, with results or even with mixed results he’ll stay but if results over a long period aren’t there he’ll be gone I think.  Let’s all hope it’s the former.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Purslow said he wants continuous improvement. That is not putting pressure on him nor the manager. That is what the job requires. Nobody is hiding that at Villa and Smith will no doubt have been fully aware of this. In his first couple of years Smith delivered continuous improvement. In the last year he didn't and Villa went backwards, hence he lost his job. Gerrard must deliver continuous improvement and as per his presser, Purslow said that Gerrard promised to deliver this. This is not adding any pressure to Purslow or Gerrard. This is what these type of people thrive on. Not everyone wants to go to work each day and have it easy. They want the buzz of a challenge. The idea that Purslow has managed to put himself and Gerrard under unnecessary and new pressure is nonsense imo

Thanks for your input!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, nick76 said:

I don’t think I’m being disingenuous because what you’ve just gone onto explain is exactly what I said which you then acknowledge in the final paragraph.  It’s not having a go, it’s just explaining it.

Personally I'd say we're all agnostics - some erring more to the positive, some the negative, but no-one actually knows or can possibly know. If they do, lottery numbers to my inbox please!

• Like 1

Just now, GrassyNoel said:

Personally I'd say we're all agnostics - some erring more to the positive, some the negative, but no-one actually knows or can possibly know. If they do, lottery numbers to my inbox please!

Agreed. Would like to add that life is more likely to be fulfilling and less stressful if you're erring more to the positive ;)

• Like 4

11 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Oh dear.....If they've been blown away then it may well take time raising the standards. Does anyone know where they've been blown to? 

Couple of lightweights apparently, best get rid.

32 minutes ago, GrassyNoel said:

I think a lot are but some have planted their stake in ground.  I think TRO wouldn’t mind me saying that he is a believer and I think Bunnski from (I think) page 6 a non-believer.  TRO would be an agnostic theist re Gerrard.  Agnostic because he doesn’t know, theist because he believes Gerrard will deliver.  I am in the agnostic atheist bucket in which I don’t know and at the current time don’t have sufficient evidence to believe he will be a success or failure.

So I agree we are all agnostic but that can be distinguished from the believer and non-believer/yet to be convinced determination.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, osmark86 said:

Agreed. Would like to add that life is more likely to be fulfilling and less stressful if you're erring more to the positive ;)

Not if your hopes keep getting dashed. I find it more joyful when I expect the worst, and something good happens unexepectedly. 

16 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think Purslow made it very clear during the Gerrard presser. He said that Villa wanted continuous improvement. So the expectation this season will be above 11th but I expect Gerrard would have some latitude if he was in or about 11th. Next season will have to be top half and the season after will have to improve again. Clearly Europe is the target in the next 3 to 4 years. 

I think Purslow will expect Europe (7th) next season, especiallly if they spend another £50-80m before the start of next season.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Not if your hopes keep getting dashed. I find it more joyful when I expect the worst, and something good happens unexepectedly. 

I just meant that in general if you're a little more optimistic then you'll likely find it easier to deal with setbacks, wouldn't you agree? 

Having your expectations surpassed is obviously also a nice feeling, I won't argue against that ;)

I will admit I was pretty sceptical of Steven Gerrard and his appointment but will certainly say that he has impressed me since he’s been here , although calm he’s very down to business ,informative and straight talking ,I can see why the players are responding , he definitely doesn’t seem like he’s here to mess or be messed around ,bring it on , UTV!!.👍

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Very good presser, the bloke is shit hot, no crap, genuine answers and the one he didn't answer, he gave an explanation why instead of the usual crap from most managers. His stock is rising.

I’m not saying that his to be negative about Gerrard. I’m very impressed with his start. 

But this is exactly the kind of thing we say about every manager ever

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

I think a lot are but some have planted their stake in ground.  I think TRO wouldn’t mind me saying that he is a believer and I think Bunnski from (I think) page 6 a non-believer.  TRO would be an agnostic theist re Gerrard.  Agnostic because he doesn’t know, theist because he believes Gerrard will deliver.  I am in the agnostic atheist bucket in which I don’t know and at the current time don’t have sufficient evidence to believe he will be a success or failure.

So I agree we are all agnostic but that can be distinguished from the believer and non-believer/yet to be convinced determination.

Yes, Nick, I don't mind.

but let me say this.....How many times do we all look at players and make predictions, based on our judgment of the unfinished development of a player......loads of times, its a common pastime for discerning fans.

SG is 41....not fully developed as a manager, but my judgment of the intrinsic attributes of the person, tells me, he will deliver for us...as a player he has convinced folk and as a fledgling manager, has demonstrated that winning mentality to motivate his team.

Nothing is set in tablets of stone, you are right and I could end up with egg on my face.....but I will back my judgment.

Â