Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

17 minutes ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

Ending Palace’s 7 game unbeaten run, and away from home too, is no mean feat. Hugely encouraging start from Gerrard.

I’m slowly starting not to dread Saturdays again. 

Thats ok, our next Saturday game is away against Liverpool. The dread will return. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Really tough run in Dec tho, Man City, Leicester, Liverpool, Norwich, Burnley, Chelsea, Leeds........yikes.

But I think, like me, we are all looking forward to these games. I am really looking forward to the City game and actually giving them a game. City is a side we have had a tendency to roll over to have our tummy's tickled. I am really hoping we but in a good performance albeit I expect top come away with nothing from the game other than some pride

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

2 wind against Brighton & Palace are great outocmes tbh, couldnt have hiped for more.

Really tough run in Dec tho, Man City, Leicester, Liverpool, Norwich, Burnley, Chelsea, Leeds........yikes.

I wouldn't bet against us picking up a few unlikely wins in that period, on present form. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

I love DS but it was great to see how quick we were to react in game today tactically. It might not work all the time but I feel it's something we'd been guilty of at the start of the season which often led to the inevitable.

Yes that was interesting, they brought on Eze and we went to 442, then switched it again to 451 towards the end. He even switched Watkins and El Ghazi round because AEG gave it away about 7 times consecutively. A lot going on there second half and as you say it was noticeable given what’s come before. 

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, poitier said:

We seem to be moving the ball a lot quicker in possession. Some of our first half play was a joy to watch.

Yeah it’s crazy how players can go from looking scared of the ball to playing some nice fluid stuff 2 weeks later. 

Think that stuff Terry said about footballers and short attention spans might have been spot on. 

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Personally think it's more than just a typical manager bounce. We don't just look more energetic and "up for it" (which you usually see when new managers come in) but tactically we look far better.

When he first came in he said he noticed we had to be better defensively without the ball. Look at us in the first two games, keeping a nice back-line of four. He saw a problem and appears to have found a way to fix it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I’m hoping it’s not a new manager bounce and this is here to stay.  As I said I wouldn’t judge him if he started with losses or wins, it would be over a period of games.  Thankfully it is wins and that’s what we have needed, hopefully we can continue with the improvement.

It’s not a new manager bounce because we did it for half a season last season.   It’s hard to pin point what happened after that. 

Covid + Grealish's long injury layoff definitely derailed us last season and we never seemed to properly recover from that until the very end of the season. And then for whatever reason we just completely lost the plot after the Untied victory this season.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Covid + Grealish's long injury layoff definitely derailed us last season and we never seemed to properly recover from that until the very end of the season. And then for whatever reason we just completely lost the plot after the Untied victory this season.

Agree with all this but how far was Smith and co going to take us? Change was maybe due. 

Will be interesting to see how SG arrays the team against Citeh. Would like to see him go aggressive:can he rely on us keeping a clean sheet against them? 

And all of this on top of him getting to know his best XI. 

Feeling positive, though: want to see some canny man management for this run of difficult fixtures. 

12 minutes ago, Jono62 said:

Gerrard interviewed by Lineker already

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/59444043

I like the cut of his jib. Humble, down to earth considering his prominence in the game. Focussed on improving, asking for more whilst also praising what we have. Very good. The standard of play has improved very quickly, far more organised, more fluidity going forward. The last 6-9 months under Deano we've looked like jigsaw pieces scattered all over whether we win, lose or draw. 

He's seemingly very focussed on shapes and having us move as a team. I don't want to jinx things but even if we lose against City, I don't expect it to be absolute savagery. That said, he's also learning and coming up against a better standard of manager now. 

• Like 1

Â