Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

53 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Good presser, l like his honesty and candidness. Gonna be tough game tomorrow but I'm positive every one of them will give 110%

Oh!!!! Don't start me off with Ron Saunders quotes.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I’m not saying that his to be negative about Gerrard. I’m very impressed with his start. 

But this is exactly the kind of thing we say about every manager ever

He's had more years of handling the press than not in his life, I'm more interested in what he saying about load and getting information into the players. That and the injury news is about all you can take out of that presser, impressive as it may be. Looking forward to the game, if him and Beale et al have managed to further improve us off the ball then I'd like to think we can come away with a point if we don't score...

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

He's had more years of handling the press than not in his life, I'm more interested in what he saying about load and getting information into the players. That and the injury news is about all you can take out of that presser, impressive as it may be. Looking forward to the game, if him and Beale et al have managed to further improve us off the ball then I'd like to think we can come away with a point if we don't score...

We have only failed to score once this season so far......I have faith in us scoring.

just looking for clean sheets, me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ender4 said:

I think Purslow will expect Europe (7th) next season, especiallly if they spend another £50-80m before the start of next season.

He may do but 7th doesn't guarantee Europe, it is only Europe if the winners of the Cup competition also qualifies for the CL via the league, which was obviously the case when Man City won it each season. I think Purslow will be content with any top half next season and the higher the better, it is the following season I expect the pressure will be on for European qualification. But, maybe Gerrard can win the FA cup for us this year and get us Europe early :)

Again, pretty standard presser - not the most charismatic of chaps but at least he's saying the expected things. More bothered about what we'll see on the pitch tbf. Also, he should learn the names of our players Traore's first name isn't Bernard. 

51 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I’m not saying that his to be negative about Gerrard. I’m very impressed with his start. 

But this is exactly the kind of thing we say about every manager ever

Don't include me in the we.

You and whoever else you are referring to should be saying this, it's why he got the job, he said and is saying the right things, as another poster just said, there is a more technical edge to his words and absolutely zero bullshit.

53 minutes ago, TRO said:

Yes, Nick, I don't mind.

but let me say this.....How many times do we all look at players and make predictions, based on our judgment of the unfinished development of a player......loads of times, its a common pastime for discerning fans.

SG is 41....not fully developed as a manager, but my judgment of the intrinsic attributes of the person, tells me, he will deliver for us...as a player he has convinced folk and as a fledgling manager, has demonstrated that winning mentality to motivate his team.

Nothing is set in tablets of stone, you are right and I could end up with egg on my face.....but I will back my judgment.

I wasn’t criticising mate, I was just explaining.  I think your comparison though between a player developing and a manager developing is slightly flawed.  A player can come in and out of the team, we have to ride with Gerrard 100% of the time but he does have an experienced backroom staff.

I argued back in the day about Dean Smith developing as a manager but was told that we shouldn’t be the training ground for manager, we are further along the track than that yet we have gone and hired a less experienced manager, so who knows.  I’m told hat Gerrard has a higher ceiling than Smith but nobody knows if that’s true at all, it’s just opinion.

Anyway makes no difference my original reservations of Gerrard, he’s our manager now and will get my full support, hopefully my belief will come with that shortly as games and results are positive.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Yes, Nick, I don't mind.

but let me say this.....How many times do we all look at players and make predictions, based on our judgment of the unfinished development of a player......loads of times, its a common pastime for discerning fans.

SG is 41....not fully developed as a manager, but my judgment of the intrinsic attributes of the person, tells me, he will deliver for us...as a player he has convinced folk and as a fledgling manager, has demonstrated that winning mentality to motivate his team.

Nothing is set in tablets of stone, you are right and I could end up with egg on my face.....but I will back my judgment.

Not sure u will have egg on your face. U are saying that u believe he has all the right attributes. I don't think there is any argument against that. With every manager, there will be no evidence to say he will be a success. Look at Jose at Spurs, he won everything there is to be won at club level and he failed at Spurs. Tuchel was sacked by PSG. MoPo was sacked by Spurs. None of us have a crystal ball. But so far, on the evidence available about Gerrard at Villa, the guy hasn't put a foot wrong. He was not my first choice as manager, he wasn't even on my wish list but I am very happy with him. I think Purslow did very well to get him and his coaching team to Villa Park. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think Purslow will be content with any top half next season and the higher the better, it is the following season I expect the pressure will be on for European qualification.

I think they’ll want top half this season and European qualification next season.  You’ve given him an extra season, I can’t imagine they’ll settle for that via the league.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think they’ll want top half this season and European qualification next season.  You’ve given him an extra season, I can’t imagine they’ll settle for that via the league.

Purslow stated in the Gerrard presser that he continuous improvement. I am taking that at face value. He wants to improve each season. Last season we got 11th so this season he will want top half. I did say I believe that SG will be given some latitude with this if he is in or about 11th as he took over mid season and where our points per game was looking like relegation and not top half. If SG gets us 7th or 8th the following season then I think CP will be happy with that as improvement and that forces Europe qualification to the following season. I would be shocked if CP wouldn't settle for that, not just because that is what he said he wants but because it will see Villa in a much stronger position than we are in today

21 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Bit like when Bruce left and those who were constantly defending the man, couldn't wait to jump in on Smith. 

Luckily most fans won't be like that. Gerrard will get a lot support and backing from the majority. 

Its funny seeing those people project this behavior on the people who liked Smith. Sorry, most of us aren't like this 🤷‍♂️

On Gerrard, he's impressing me more and more as time goes on. He seems laser focused and serious and he clearly has a lot more depth to him than the likes of Lampard who he's always unfortunately compared to.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I wasn’t criticising mate, I was just explaining.  I think your comparison though between a player developing and a manager developing is slightly flawed.  A player can come in and out of the team, we have to ride with Gerrard 100% of the time but he does have an experienced backroom staff.

I argued back in the day about Dean Smith developing as a manager but was told that we shouldn’t be the training ground for manager, we are further along the track than that yet we have gone and hired a less experienced manager, so who knows.  I’m told hat Gerrard has a higher ceiling than Smith but nobody knows if that’s true at all, it’s just opinion.

Anyway makes no difference my original reservations of Gerrard, he’s our manager now and will get my full support, hopefully my belief will come with that shortly as games and results are positive.

Nick, I didn't take it as a criticism, my point was, we do it with both...predictions.

anyway, everybody to their own view.

I know you are behind him, I wouldn't expect anything else, from you.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Not sure u will have egg on your face. U are saying that u believe he has all the right attributes. I don't think there is any argument against that. With every manager, there will be no evidence to say he will be a success. Look at Jose at Spurs, he won everything there is to be won at club level and he failed at Spurs. Tuchel was sacked by PSG. MoPo was sacked by Spurs. None of us have a crystal ball. But so far, on the evidence available about Gerrard at Villa, the guy hasn't put a foot wrong. He was not my first choice as manager, he wasn't even on my wish list but I am very happy with him. I think Purslow did very well to get him and his coaching team to Villa Park. 

I didn't have a first choice Pete, but I did want a type and SG fits that type....my first, want was a winner and he has that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Just watched the presser. He is very fresh faced and dark haired - we'll soon change that. 😁

Come round here with all that positivity and chirpyness, We’ll soon knock that out of him :D

• Haha 2

Â