Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

27 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Thanks for saying much better what I was trying say but I obviously got misunderstood looking at the reaction this morning to my post.

Oh boy, it really feels sometimes that people just enjoy butting heads on forums with fellow supporters regardless of the football, it would make for a fun thread actually, where people go for a bit of venting at each other, keeping it clean but with a bit of leeway, might be hilarious.

2 games in is a small sample size, coming off a bad run though he is exceeding my expectations, new manager bounce maybe but I don't think so, ignoring the results we can see a performance improvement and especially when an inform team put their foot down 2nd half yesterday, we coped well enough to see it through. 

Gerrard's stock is rising, 5 points from the next 3 games and I will be very impressed.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Oh boy, it really feels sometimes that people just enjoy butting heads on forums with fellow supporters regardless of the football, it would make for a fun thread actually, where people go for a bit of venting at each other, keeping it clean but with a bit of leeway, might be hilarious.

2 games in is a small sample size, coming off a bad run though he is exceeding my expectations, new manager bounce maybe but I don't think so, ignoring the results we can see a performance improvement and especially when an inform team put their foot down 2nd half yesterday, we coped well enough to see it through. 

Gerrard's stock is rising, 5 points from the next 3 games and I will be very impressed.

Difficult for me to see 5 points from the next 3 but who knows? OBS want 9 but I'd probably settle for 3.

Leicester due a revival, and Liverpool are batting sides away like flys.

We'll be charged up for City though 😎.

If we get a point or more against City though, confidence and momentum should go up even further!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Difficult for me to see 5 points from the next 3 but who knows? OBS want 9 but I'd probably settle for 3.

Leicester due a revival, and Liverpool are batting sides away like flys.

We'll be charged up for City though 😎.

If we get a point or more against City though, confidence and momentum should go up even further!

It was a very optimistic dream....... draw, win and a draw would be unreal, imagine the buzz it we exceed even that omfg. I'd take 3 draws, 5 unbeaten right now if honest, most would. I think confidence breeds momentum and we now have our confidence back, we also have a few players still performing under their own standards so if they click who knows what's achievable. 

Also, sometimes certain players just get a manager straight away and become better versions of themselves quickly, remember, that saying, I've heard SG throw that around a few times already. Consistency will be the deciding factor for a few though, the standards have to be there non stop.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

It was a very optimistic dream....... draw, win and a draw would be unreal, imagine the buzz it we exceed even that omfg. I'd take 3 draws, 5 unbeaten right now if honest, most would. I think confidence breeds momentum and we now have our confidence back, we also have a few players still performing under their own standards so if they click who knows what's achievable. 

Also, sometimes certain players just get a manager straight away and become better versions of themselves quickly, remember, that saying, I've heard SG throw that around a few times already. Consistency will be the deciding factor for a few though, the standards have to be there non stop.

He also keeps saying " Be the best version of themselves " etc.

• Like 1

We’ve had the ability in the squad the past two seasons to turn over Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, Leicester etc. The rate in which Gerrard is getting more out of the team each week, you couldn’t rule out getting something from any or all of the next three games.

I’m really interested to see how Gerrard goes at Man City, bring on mid week football.

Edited by QldVilla
  • Like 3

I wasn't against the Gerrard appointment as such, but I was very underwhelmed by it. 

Over the last couple of games, my whelmed level has increased. So far so good. I'm not fully onboard the Gerrard train yet, but am standing on the platform waiting, hopeful that he continues to prove me wrong. Great to see some quick, one touch pass and move football. 

The transformation in Nakamba is incredible. 

Three tough games coming up. Hopefully we can get something from them. As long as we put in some performances in those games, that will be enough for now. UTV.

• Like 2

I think we’re seeing the new manager bounce in action here. Players are trying extra hard, and it’s bringing results, which is increasing confidence and making the players buy in even more. Much as I liked Dean, it was certainly the right decision to can him and break the negative cycle we were in.

I hope Stevie G is a managerial wonderkid but it’s still too early to tell. I remember Peter Crouch telling the story of when he first transferred to Liverpool and went to training, it quickly became clear that Gerrard took training incredibly seriously and there was no larking around - and it got the best out of him, even if it was sometimes uncomfortable.

My worry is that that mentality almost always has short term results, but they don’t always translate into long term results. Whether Stevie G is closer to Alex Ferguson or Roy Keane / current day Bielsa remains to be seen. It’ll take time to see whether he has enough strings to his bow to keep us moving forwards when the novelty wears off.

• Like 1

Midweek will be really interesting to see how he tactically tries to outwit one of the leagues best managers and one of the best teams in world football.

I don’t think for example, we can afford to approach it in the same way we have the past two games, we’ll need to have more of a plan both with and without the ball.

5 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

I think we’re seeing the new manager bounce in action here. Players are trying extra hard, and it’s bringing results, which is increasing confidence and making the players buy in even more. Much as I liked Dean, it was certainly the right decision to can him and break the negative cycle we were in.

I hope Stevie G is a managerial wonderkid but it’s still too early to tell. I remember Peter Crouch telling the story of when he first transferred to Liverpool and went to training, it quickly became clear that Gerrard took training incredibly seriously and there was no larking around - and it got the best out of him, even if it was sometimes uncomfortable.

My worry is that that mentality almost always has short term results, but they don’t always translate into long term results. Whether Stevie G is closer to Alex Ferguson or Roy Keane / current day Bielsa remains to be seen. It’ll take time to see whether he has enough strings to his bow to keep us moving forwards when the novelty wears off.

The key is being ruthless. Players need to feel like if their level drops they'll be out of the team. Gerrard can't be mates with the players like Deano was. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Midweek will be really interesting to see how he tactically tries to outwit one of the leagues best managers and one of the best teams in world football.

I don’t think for example, we can afford to approach it in the same way we have the past two games, we’ll need to have more of a plan both with and without the ball.

Yeah it'll be fascinating. I think our set up is open to be exploited by sides with world class full backs as we pack the middle of the pitch and force teams wide, but doing that against City, Chelsea or Liverpool we'll have too much quality movement and they will crate chances.

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

The key is being ruthless. Players need to feel like if their level drops they'll be out of the team. Gerrard can't be mates with the players like Deano was. 

I don’t think it’s as simple as that. I’m sure Roy Keane was pretty ruthless.

I think the thing about Ferguson, particularly late in his career, was nobody ever felt like he didn’t know what he was doing. I reckon over at Leeds now the players have lost faith in Bielsa.

High standards is a short term fix, but you need to actually be a good manager otherwise players will start to chafe at them and you lose the dressing room imo.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Tbf I'm well on board the Gerrard train, but I just remembered Sherwood had us playing some great football for four or five games!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Tbf I'm well on board the Gerrard train, but I just remembered Sherwood had us playing some great football for four or five games!

It's a very fair point. We shouldn't be bowled over by two wins anymore than we should be writing him off already if we lost them both. The signs are very promising so far though.

Â