Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Wolves

limpid

Match Polls  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/10/21 at 22:59

Sometimes, it really feels like MON, where's it's all down to one or more players turning up more than any system or plan really working beyond get it forward and go at them. Things aren't going right, it's roll the dice more than make an adjustment. Today was Stoke 2-2 but worse, maybe not in terms of stakes due to it being early in the season, but incredibly similar performance.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Damn, just like that? The loss only hurts as much as it did because we were so good for the first 80 mins. Kick in the teeth yes, but surely theres still a lot to be optimistic about.

Im really not sure we were that good TBH . What hurts is as soon as Wolves score total panic set in . Poor subs you could argue but the lack of control still very worrying. It’s very early days with the new squad but you do need to see glimpses of us kicking on , not glimpses of poor  performance from the past . We have to learn or move on .

Just now, villa4europe said:

I think a lot of people only look at us, look at the amount we spend and then buy in to the social media reactions to the likes of arsenal, they're obviously shit, Arteta is shit, this player shit, that player shit and we should finish above them 

That player cost £60m and gets paid £250k a week

We're not there yet

Even teams like Leicester have spent over our record transfer 4 or 5 times, our spending needs context, this squad is a couple of windows, maybe a couple of years away from European football 

Is it asking that much to fight for 7th-8th?

In last few years likes of Wolves, Burnley and Sheffield united have either finished there and made europe or just below and they did it all after being promoted quickly.

What will be said if Brighton actually manage to get up to that position as I think they were promoted the year before us.

Not sure how many more years we can play the "we only had two good players when being promoted" line given the millions we've invested since then and when all fit we have a pretty good selection of players in most positions.

I think it's important we strike while likes of Arsenal and Spurs aren't all that. Everton will be Everton so not concerned about them and West Ham already dropped points after playing europa.

Just being happy plodding around 10th-11th and won't be long before Newcastle overtakes us and I can't believe the owners have that mentality to just be happy with mid table so I think in some seasons people shouldn't be criticised for wanting a little more sometimes.

At 2 up we were 7th in the league so we're not that far away and it's not some ridiculous fantasy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

McGinn was great both offensively and defensively. You comment on him ALL THE TIME. It’s tiring. 

All the time? I literally don't think I've commented on him since the transfer window ended, before today. 

It's very easy to say don't blame Smith, but these players are underperforming and it's on him:

• Buendia
  • Ings (goal today has papered over the cracks that we are struggling to get the best out of him)
  • Watkins
  • Traore (wasn't in the squad today, but when he has been available he hasn't played him to keep playing this cr*ppy 5-3-2)

I'd even put AEG in there, OK he's not our best player but he doesn't deserve to have just been ignored completely given the goals he scored for us last season.

The defence is also not strong enough. I'll be honest I think we've not signed well enough here. Targett was good last season but has reverted to his mean this season and we need an upgrade - I worry he's one of Smith's favourites though and we won't get one. I also didn't really get the Tuanzebe signing even on loan as he's not better than either of our first choice CBs and by bringing him in it seems Smith wants to play this defensive formation.

Smith is definitely under some pressure now. It's easy to say sack him when the emotion of a defeat hits you, but it's the way we've lost today which really angers me.

If we lose again at Arsenal I really think a lot of people will turn because results really aren't good enough. It's not good beating Manure for the first time in ages to then lose to a confidence-shot Spurs and Wolves after being 2-0 up, especially after the sh*t results against Watford and Brentford early on. This is why so many question Smith because it just isn't acceptable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, the_eristic said:

Sometimes, it really feels like MON, where's it's all down to one or more players turning up more than any system or plan really working beyond get it forward and go at them. Things aren't going right, it's roll the dice more than make an adjustment. Today was Stoke 2-2 but worse, maybe not in terms of stakes due to it being early in the season, but incredibly similar performance.

Yep. In my fandom I ahve never seen a villa with a clearcut style and a consistent game plan. And that's just sad.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Not sure I'm livid,  but incredibly disappointed and somewhat frustrated.  At least Ramsey and Nakamba have played themselves out of contention for a while. Gives Sanson chance to secure his place, if he can stay fit,  and we may stumble on our best team.  

Bailey and Traore both to return means we'll be better placed in future games, but annoying that we threw this one away.

If only that were the case.  Unfortunately I suspect that both will be involved in the next match.

Just now, MotoMkali said:

All the time? I literally don't think I've commented on him since the transfer window ended, before today. 

The entire match thread was “omg McGinn ffs” - despite him having a great game.

Its something you want to see, for some bizarre reason. 

Many people thought I was crazy for suggesting we would be relegated this season. I still think we will be. Performances such as that today suggests I might be correct… completely unacceptable to lose like that, shows that we are very frail and haven’t progressed at all as a team since last season. Going backwards in fact. 

At the moment, it doesn’t look so bad because 3 teams haven’t won a game yet. As soon as they put a couple of wins together it will look very bleak. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Luiz or Buendia obviously. Clearly our 2 best players. Lost complete control font game when they went off. Luiz is who I think deserved it though. This game and the Watford game have shown he is easily our most important outfield player. 

I agreed.Latin players have better game intelligence , more composure / better ball control keep possession /know how to slow down the game.. with Ramsey / Nakamba in we were just inviting pressure 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Id agree if there was a pattern of throwing games like this. I think on the whole under Smith, it's been the opposite. It's not exactly Di Matteo levels yet. Mistakes happen. That Ramsey sub was awful and I'm sure the coaching staff will learn from it. It's not like it's a mentality thing thankfully.

Of course mistakes happen and it's not as if this is a regular occurrence under Smith. I'm just saying that for me personally I have basically zero optimism because even if we went on an amazing run the scars of this shameful, embarrassing, pathetic collapse will always be there in the background.

Â