Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Wolves

limpid

Match Polls  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/10/21 at 22:59

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

Ok no problem we differ on that but I am genuinely interested on the substitution question we were discussing and in the above quote please? With Luiz and Buendia having to come off, with those coming off what would you have done re subs to be more attacking and maybe change the formation?  I’m just worried anything else would’ve left a big hole in central midfield if not for the subs that were actually done but I may have missed something.

At half time, me and the people around me where I sit in the Holte wanted Axel replaced by maybe somebody like Traore…an attacking player and move to 433 but once Luiz and Buendia needed to go off I think Deans hands were tied in who he could bring on without leaving a hole in central midfield.

I too wanted Axel replaced, (but by Hause)....his whole personna on the day was dodgy.

I couldn't see anything particularly wrong with the system, that good functioning players couldn't cope with.

However, I am sceptical of overloading one area, as some players instead of seeing help, see it as a rest.

I think 4-2-31 OR 4-3-3 suit us better......In a 4-2-3-1, 4 attacking players are adequate, but they have to be on their game, no slackers, no one falling over feet of too many helpers, just get on with making a mark

I know football has changed, I get reminded all the time despite me watching modern day football......during our halcyon days...we had Morley,Shaw, withe and Cowans doing the attacking work, the rest was defensive or containing work,.... during Liverpools great times they had 4 offensive players 2 up front 2 wingers and the 2 middle was defensive or industrial to join the back 4

Man U are struggling, playing too many attackers, doesn't always work, however, there is always the odd exception of a day.

I think our best lineup is Bailey-Watkins-Ings-Buendia for the 4, when they are fit.....McGinn-Luiz-Sanson-Ramsey, to fight for the 2 in a 4-3-3....Buendia to act in a pivot, between midfield and out wide.

but any system relies on players dominating their opposite number.....no system will or should compensate for that....if a system is designed to cover weaknesses, there is an inherent problem.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

Personally, Nick...I would have played Hause in leiu of Tuanzebe, for 3 reasons.

1. He would have extra motivation against his old club

2. I thought Raul would be playing and he is good in the air

3. I don't think in his last games he has done much wrong, maybe losing Son, but there was still others that could have helped.

I guess hindsight is an exact Science, but Hause would have played, in my eyes...as it turned out Axel was shaky, from the first few minutes.

Can’t argue with that at all.  I think I just would’ve gone back to 433 to start with, just the way usually Wolves set up but when I saw the team sheet I assumed Smith stuck with 3 at the back because of Wolves Traore so there is always somebody sweeping up if he gets through the first centre back.  It should’ve helped us with set pieces as well and did until the last ten minutes when all the defence had brain farts.

I’ve watched that last ten minutes a couple of times and just can’t put it down to formation, it was just a shit show from the players.  I can’t agree this happened a lot for Villa, this was bizarre.  We do have a soft belly occasionally but I think this was different, this was just a cluster shit show. It was like in the winter when you hit a bit ice driving on a country back road and everything you do doesn’t help, sometimes you can ride through it but occasionally you just have to let it ride to a it’s stops, we were the latter on Saturday for those ten minutes and came out beaten up.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fwiw in my opinion it’s not acceptable to lose 3-2 to Watford.   It’s acceptable to draw 1-1 to Brentford when you have half a team missing. It’s not acceptable to concede 3 to Chelsea but it highlighted that we needed a new second goalie.

The wolves defeat was not acceptable. Nobody will say it was. Smith has a very tough job on his hands. If recent form continues and we get dragged in to a relegation battle by end of year many Villa fans will probably get what they want and he’ll be replaced.  But at the moment that hasn’t happened so let’s see where we go from here.   

If we get in to a relegation battle at the end of the season....it might be more than the fans who want him now, calling for him.

I just hope that scenario is wide of the mark.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

If we get in to a relegation battle at the end of the season....it might be more than the fans who want him now, calling for him.

I just hope that scenario is wide of the mark.

I agree but I was talking about us being in a relegation battle by the end of this calendar year rather than end of the season. If we are struggling at half way point I wouldn’t be surprised if the owners opted for a change.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

The biggest concern for me is, it not the first time for us.

It happened at Crystal palace 16 may 2021

3-2

scorers.......McGinn 17......Benteke 32.....Elghazi 34....Zaha....76...Mitchell 84.

not exactly the same, but similar.

Edited by TRO

14 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree but I was talking about us being in a relegation battle by the end of this calendar year rather than end of the season. If we are struggling at half way point I wouldn’t be surprised if the owners opted for a change.

Dean knows its a results business, despite his baby, being performances.

I would be really disappointed if such a scenario is realised, it would undo so much good work.....because I think he offers so much to the club across many platforms i.e Academy etc.

We have lost 4 and won 3.....its not a disaster, but we have to start winning again.....2 back to back wins against Everton and Man U, It don't get much better, but consistency eludes us....That pesky defeat, could so easily have been a win, fine margins.

Momentum, is a huge thing in this game and we have to get some back.

I hope he has them well up for The Emirates.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Dean knows its a results business, despite his baby, being performances.

I would be really disappointed if such a scenario is realised, it would undo som much good work.....because I think he offers so much to the club across many platforms i.e Academy etc.

We have lost 4 and won 3.....its not a disaster, but we have to start winning again.....2 back to back wins against Everton and Man U, It don't get much better, but consistency eludes us....That pesky defeat, could so easily have been a win, fine margins.

Momentum, is a huge thing in this game and we have to get some back.

I hope he has them well up for The Emirates.

I think we’ll be fine. You put a few wins together in this league and you can fly up the table. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TRO said:

but how many times do you see, other managers bring on defensive minded players in such circumstances.....I think he was right to do that, you just expect them to do their job, that is the issue for me.....no system to blame or personnel types, just players not doing their duty.

They let Dean down, from a group point of view.....I am sure he will remember this, well, in his future decisions.

He's not remembered them in the past so I for one will not be holding my breath

12 hours ago, nick76 said:

I don’t quite agree but let’s take it your right, despite that issue the team keeps progressing even going from 35 points to 55 points last season.  In anybody’s book that is impressive.  Our clean sheet record was really impressive last season so we weren’t as soft and while we’ve started slow this season it’s still early.

You could just as easily put that progress down to luck if you were so inclined.

We conceded more shots on average last season that any other side and our actual goals conceded was much lower than our expected xg.

This season, we are still conceding a lot of chances but our actual and expected are much closer - so this isn't a new problem, it's the actualisation of something that has been there for a while

Edited by flashingqwerty
Typo

For the record, I don't think the negatively after the Wolves game was bed wetting, as most thought we are better than that now  I mean in reality it was a Derby even though it didnt seem like it, an we have now lost the bragging rights we had last season. To be fair also, if we lost that way against the bloose, I think there would no doubt be some bed poo pooing.

• Haha 1

On 19/10/2021 at 10:06, TRO said:

but I think thats all we have....like for like , no contrast.

I thought in the summer, we should have gone for Conor Gallagher, more energy than a power station.

I don't agree.  The introduction of Ramsey in particular I thought was a bad move.

I know a lot of people rate him, but I see him coast through games a lot, especially without the ball.  I think that was the opportunity to change our shape.  

The Cash injury was another such opportunity.  I've not been impressed with Young so far either and felt a change of shape would have enabled a better player to be introduced.

Ifs and maybes...

9 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

I don't agree.  The introduction of Ramsey in particular I thought was a bad move.

I know a lot of people rate him, but I see him coast through games a lot, especially without the ball.  I think that was the opportunity to change our shape.  

The Cash injury was another such opportunity.  I've not been impressed with Young so far either and felt a change of shape would have enabled a better player to be introduced.

Ifs and maybes...

who would you have brought on?

Ramsey is still in the development stage, but I get your comment of coasting.....maybe its a confidence thing, but he needs to ask more questions, I agree.....I like Jacob, but needs to add intensity to his game.

I think players around 36 are not going to be able to give us the energy to cause problems.....even Ronaldo, is now relying on moments in a game, they have the class, but not the legs......I think some of us underestimate the value of intensity, energy and a willingness to go afater opponents.....McGinn has got that back in his game, but he can't do it all on his own.

I see a link with Weston McKennie is gathering pace, that is the sort of contrast I mean or Boubacar Kamara ....that type.....I'm sure there are others out there, that good scouts would find.....albeit, I would have to see these players more, to be sure.

On 20/10/2021 at 14:44, foreveryoung said:

For the record, I don't think the negatively after the Wolves game was bed wetting, as most thought we are better than that now  I mean in reality it was a Derby even though it didnt seem like it, an we have now lost the bragging rights we had last season. To be fair also, if we lost that way against the bloose, I think there would no doubt be some bed poo pooing.

The Wolves fans need to be careful and not get too carried away, because for 80 minutes we was in a comfortable position at 2-0....not saying our play was comfortable, a subtle difference there....but the score was.

Its unlikely they will do that again for a very long time, so not much for them to cling to, there imo.

"bed wetting" is not a euphemism, I would use, to a thoroughly disappointing end to a game, Travesty was more apt......but hey ho.

Â