Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Wolves

limpid

Match Polls  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/10/21 at 22:59

Needs to scrap the 3-5-2 formation. We play it so that we can play Watkins and Ings up front together, but it doesn’t really look like they have much of an understanding.

Watkins isn’t adding anything more than he would if he played on the left of a 4-3-3 at this stage.

19 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

I still love the guy and this is nothing like calling for his head, but a lot of that is on Smith. Three single subs gives him no further options. Young isn't the right guy. Why keep two strikers on, especially when Ings' influence is lacking, etc.

Wolves were beat and we gave the game back to them. Traore had stopped trying. 

Thought Buendia was excellent and not sure why he came off - he was still putting pressure on them and running.

Surely if any attacker had to come off it was Ollie.  He is out of form, out of touch.  Ings has scored 3 and got 2 assists and has proved that he can create and score goals out of very little.  No way Ings should be hooked before Ollie at the moment.

• Like 3

I'm struggling to really blame Smith for this. We were absolutely cruising and in control for 80 minutes and for whatever reason we've shit ourselves after our subs and theirs. 

Luiz sub is perfectly fine, he couldn't play the full 90. Cash unfortunately gets injured so Young is again fine. At the time I thought the Ramsey sub was fine, Buendia was doing ok but nothing more so bring Ramsey on for fresh legs and help the midfield. Obviously that one has ended up looking like a disaster. 

I'd love to know why the players absolutely shit themselves, absolutely shocking from 80 minutes. 

6 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

"Clear Man Of the Match" 

Yeah he scored a goal and got an assist but a number of times he just doesn't press, he doesn't keep possession, he doesn't track back. And yes he had a great 15 minute stretch which resulted in us scoring twice. But outside of that he had a fairly poor game. 

Justified comments about McGinn after other games especially last season but not today. He was very good on the ball and off the ball. Badly let down by teammates.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Looking at the positives:

McGinn is in top form

Buendia looked better

Wingbacks played well

Luiz looked good

Ings steady as ever

Konsa and Martinez fine.

Looking likecSanson may finally have a path to regular playing time. 

Bailey and Traore back soon.

It's only October. 

Time to rally around the players and manager and not level them with abuse.

Going to do that tomorrow! Tonight they'll just get criticism and my anger at that pathetic collapse.

I don't think I've been as annoyed about a result since Everton away when El Ghazi missed an open goal and Theo Walcott scored in the last minute. 

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Obvious agenda is obvious :D 

Scored a goal, got an assist, made more key passes than anyone else, made more tackles than anyone else, made more successful dribbles than anyone else.

But yeah, other than being the best player on the pitch he was "fairly poor" :D

**** joker.

I do not have an agenda, I just want us to be good. And you know what I'd probably have a mcuh better view of him if he was substituted at 60 minutes every game because up until then he is generally quite good. The following 30 though he's generally abysmal and today was no exception. And he was a large part of our struggles today. 

I get tired of the hero worship for McGinn and the bashing for someone like el ghazi when they offer basically the same thing goals and assists on offence, poor defence, and struggle to keep possession. But at least for el ghazi he's a winger so him not being great in possession is forgivable. Whereas for McGinn it's the worst attribute to ahve. 

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Looking at the positives:

McGinn is in top form

Buendia looked better

Wingbacks played well

Luiz looked good

Ings steady as ever

Konsa and Martinez fine.

Looking likecSanson may finally have a path to regular playing time. 

Bailey and Traore back soon.

It's only October. 

Time to rally around the players and manager and not level them with abuse.

There was no positives today. This was not an ordinary loss. It was mentally draining.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

I think a lot of people genuinely think we're on our way to the top 4 or something. Plenty of disappointment in store I feel.

I think a lot of people only look at us, look at the amount we spend and then buy in to the social media reactions to the likes of arsenal, they're obviously shit, Arteta is shit, this player shit, that player shit and we should finish above them 

That player cost £60m and gets paid £250k a week

We're not there yet

Even teams like Leicester have spent over our record transfer 4 or 5 times, our spending needs context, this squad is a couple of windows, maybe a couple of years away from European football 

• Like 1

So what was the plan buying Ings to play with Watkins in a 2?

There is no attacking plan, no cohesion.

They play like they are strangers treading on each others toes. 

Transfer policy is a mess as Smith doesn't know how to get the best out of what he has.

5 at the back at home and concede 3 in the last 10 minutes is simply unacceptable.

• Like 1

Players absolutely have a lot to answer for but so does the manager.  Took off our 3 best performers and failed to change the system when the game clearly was moving away from us.

Terrible game management, and shows Dean still has a lot to learn and a lot of work to do.

Will be astonished if we finish top half this season.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

If not SJM, enlighten me - who was your MOTM?

Luiz or Buendia obviously. Clearly our 2 best players. Lost complete control font game when they went off. Luiz is who I think deserved it though. This game and the Watford game have shown he is easily our most important outfield player. 

• Like 2

Just now, villa4europe said:

I think a lot of people only look at us, look at the amount we spend and then buy in to the social media reactions to the likes of arsenal, they're obviously shit, Arteta is shit, this player shit, that player shit and we should finish above them 

That player cost £60m and gets paid £250k a week

We're not there yet

Even teams like Leicester have spent over our record transfer 4 or 5 times, our spending needs context, this squad is a couple of windows, maybe a couple of years away from European football 

Yup. It's like when people looked at our 140m Summer our first season back and think wow Villa are trying to push into Europe. No, we were trying to scrounge together a squad with a bunch of 10m players. We've spent a decent wedge but there's still a lot of work to do. Next job is to bolster the midfield so we don't see such huge drops in quality when a player there is subbed.

• Like 1

Â