Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Wolves

limpid

Match Polls  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/10/21 at 22:59

Just now, Tayls said:

Many people thought I was crazy for suggesting we would be relegated this season. I still think we will be. Performances such as that today suggests I might be correct… completely unacceptable to lose like that, shows that we are very frail and haven’t progressed at all as a team since last season. Going backwards in fact. 

We're 7-8 points clear of bottom 3 already.

Blimey I can be a bit negative at times but the season won't go that badly. We've already comfortably beaten Newcastle this season and also beaten two teams in top 7 which generally teams in bottom 3 don't.

We probably only need another 6 wins or so to stay up if it's 35 or 36 points needed again.

And if we do go on a horrendous run of form up to xmas the manager will get sacked. It's that simple.

Just now, villa4europe said:

Why? 

Nothing to justify it

Consistency,. Not as good as last season, the dependency on Grealish is starting to show.

Poor against Watford, poor against Brentford, lost against mediocre Tottenham, collapse against a poor Wolves team. I mean where are we going this season.

I keep saying, team looks a mess, can't see a clean system. Everyone trying to score when we have 2 strikers waiting for the ball.

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

Many people thought I was crazy for suggesting we would be relegated this season. I still think we will be. Performances such as that today suggests I might be correct… completely unacceptable to lose like that, shows that we are very frail and haven’t progressed at all as a team since last season. Going backwards in fact. 

Little over reaction I think . We are at best mid table , shit game today poor subs shambolic defending. 

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Relegation? That's just silly. I understand being down after a loss, but why do people completely throw common sense out of the window? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Anything below top 10 would be a really poor season imo 

Based on what? We finished 11th last season. We lost our best player in the summer and had a net spend of -£5 million.

If we finish in that 9th to 13th bracket I don’t see that as a really poor season. It’s about what I’d expect and to be honest with having to completely change our system from the reliance on one player I’d be fine with that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The entire match thread was “omg McGinn ffs” - despite him having a great game.

Its something you want to see, for some bizarre reason. 

Because despite how well he did in some aspects like his short passing was a lot better today. He was still poor in others. And yes there was plenty wrong with our other players. But the midfield is the most important position because you need to control games to consistently win. And McGinn doesn't help control games. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

29 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

We lost our only Midfielder who keeps control of the ball. Keeping both Watkins and Ings on when you are sitting back is just silly. Buendia is easily better defensively than McGinn, so that was a terrible sub as well. 

And the Nakamba for Luiz sub handed the initiative to wolves. If we were subbing Luiz off it has to be sanson on as a player who can really control the middle of the park. 

• Like 1

Just now, MotoMkali said:

Because despite how well he did in some aspects like his short passing was a lot better today. He was still poor in others. And yes there was plenty wrong with our other players. But the midfield is the most important position because you need to control games to consistently win. And McGinn doesn't help control games. 

He breaks the lines and hassles opposition. Perfect balance in our midfield with Luiz and Buendia - they all played very well.

To single out the best of the three of them is utterly bizarre and shows a clear agenda. No more time being wasted on this pointless chat from me. 

• Confused 1

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Consistency,. Not as good as last season, the dependency on Grealish is starting to show.

Poor against Watford, poor against Brentford, lost against mediocre Tottenham, collapse against a poor Wolves team. I mean where are we going this season.

I keep saying, team looks a mess, can't see a clean system. Everyone trying to score when we have 2 strikers waiting for the ball.

Beat utd and Everton, played very well vs chelsea

Even labelling wolves as poor... Its angling things towards negativity on purpose 

This team has injury problems, it has form problems, it still has pre season problems and yep it has an identity problem

But any kind of talk about relegation or even a relegation battle is utterly **** stupid, pessimism for the sake of it 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I think the subs cost us the game

But that doesn't mean that I think Smith was stupid to make them, they just didn't perform, the subs made sense on paper 

And there were people calling for similar subs in the match thread. It didn't work out, we'll learn from it, but I think the key problem demonstrated was the fragile mentality rather than just the personnel change.

As soon as they scored one, Wolves were quicker to every ball, and it looked like only one side was interested in the game anymore. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Even teams like Leicester have spent over our record transfer 4 or 5 times

Leicester bought Tielesmans for 40m. Their next two most expensive were Fofana (31.5) and Perez (30m). That is very similar spending to us

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Based on what? We finished 11th last season. We lost our best player in the summer and had a net spend of -£5 million.

If we finish in that 9th to 13th bracket I don’t see that as a really poor season. It’s about what I’d expect and to be honest with having to completely change our system from the reliance on one player I’d be fine with that.

Tbf net spend of negative 5 million. But finishing bottom half would still be a disappointing season imo. We need to keep showing progress to attract better and better players. We need at least European conference league next season as it's the onyl way we can make up the revenue gap with teams like Leicester, Newcastle and wolves. 

I knew we wouldn’t win the game as soon as our fans start that pathetic “2-0 on your big day out” it’s such a small time song, it’s right up there with Empty seats my Lord! Embarrassing 

• Like 2

Impressive from Dean today, subs are most definitely his weakness in terms of who to bring on and when and today he made them a lot earlier than normal and threw the game in the process.

Long term we can’t play Ings and Watkins together, it’s throwing the balance of the team off.

Buendia doesn’t look anywhere near a club record signing player at the moment.

Konsa, Cash and McGinn all good today and that’s about it. Ings did what he gets paid to do so that was fine as well.

these things happen in football unfortunately, even the great Man U crumbled in their game but why our defence just looked so nervous I have no idea.

Â