Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Wolves

limpid

Match Polls  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/10/21 at 22:59

37 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Sometimes I wonder how people are like in everyday life, if their football team losing on a Saturday makes them completely lose any semblance of rationality.

I feel sorry for them and not in a patronising way. I realised a long time ago not to get too upset by something I have no control of. It literally is a waste of energy and emotion. What will be will be. Enjoy the good times and try not to get disheartened by the bad times. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Also our best players like Martinez will start to leave if we're just "Okay"

Guy just won the Copa America. Do people really think he'll stick around while we sit 12th?

The aim is Europe. The owners want progression every season.

Panic stations. 

32 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Exactly!! So why do we continue to be so inconsistent against the dross. 

Because we're a mid table club in only our 3rd season back after the best part of nearly 10 seasons of mismanagement financially and with no clear structure and plan in place to move forward.

We have a young team prone to making mistakes. It happens weirdly enough. Dean Smith is also learning on the job. 

He made a huge mistake today in taking Buendia off (90% pass accuracy). Up until then we were cruising thanks to Dean's tactics and team selection. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Progress isn't always a straight line. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Guy just won the Copa America. Do people really think he'll stick around while we sit 12th?

They might want Europe. But to get it we need much better players and more of them.

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

He made a huge mistake today in taking Buendia off (90% pass accuracy). Up until then we were cruising thanks to Dean's tactics and team selection. 

Not fair as Buendia asked to come off. What else can he do? 

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Panic stations. 

However..... KERCHING!!!!! 😂

Just now, Xela said:

Not fair as Buendia asked to come off. What else can he do? 

Don’t think he asked to come off - I think it was the opposite, I thought he was implying he felt good to stay on! Could be wrong but I thought he was signalling to stay on.

Minute he came off we had no one to get the ball to the forwards

Can't blame him for the subs (sounds like all 3 were enforced) but do question his tactics especially with a 3-5-2. Think that we need to figure out our striking position and imo it should be Ings with Watkins probably on the bench

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

I guess you are happy with a manager that allows a 2v0 win to turn into a 3v2 defeat in the latter stages of a game. Sorry but I clearly have higher standards and I will not just roll over and accept incompetence just because the bloke is a Villa fan!

I might be wrong but isn't that the first time he has lost from being 2-0 up. Not worth burying the bloke just yet. Shit happens

Just now, Villaphan04 said:

Can't blame him for the subs (sounds like all 3 were enforced) but do question his tactics especially with a 3-5-2. Think that we need to figure out our striking position and imo it should be Ings with Watkins probably on the bench

May be enforced but 2 defensive minded players.

That's really cowardly and trying to protect a lead rather that going for the 3rd.

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

If you wanted above 12th we needed to spend more in the summer and spend it more wisely.

This is a bottom half squad - that wouldn't change whoever the coach was.

At least we're not relying one player though.

I don't think it's a bottom half squad at all tbh. Think only thing it lacks is real top level experience and know how. Always think when I watch Wolves with way they play and manage games they're better than us at that and can grind our results even when not on top form.

However you look at their 11 and no way they have 5-6 better players in respective positions than we do. 18 months back I'd have taken Moutinho here all day long but nowadays Luiz is better in that position, we have better goalkeeper etc.

To finish below Wolves would be pretty disappointing season for me, not sure how it can be spun any other way.

Absolute shambles. Disgraceful to lose a 2 goal lead in 10 minutes. All on Smith and I don’t want to see 5-3-2 again.

McGinn was outstanding and if it wasn’t for him it would have been an average performance for 80 minutes.

Also, WTF were the police thinking letting the Wolves fans out at the same time as us. It was like running the gauntlet to get to the car.

• Like 1

They gambled with nothing to lose we shit the bed!  I have to put up with taunts for a few days now loving in Shropshire!  Annoying as my 6 year olds first game but he enjoyed it as he does not really understand yet so that's keeping me calm!

I think we were poor for most of the game in truth but Wolves were worse. We created some decent chances but squandered them. In the final quarter of the game we sat way too deep and just invited them to come forward. The defending for their first two goals was pub team at best. All game we lost possession way too easily and i lost count of the times we passed the ball directly to one of their players. The three at the back system does not work as it effectively relies on Cash and Targett being the wide attacking threat which is not either players strong point.

The substitutions were catastrophic errors of judgement by Smith done, I'm sure, in the belief that the game was won. I think it would have been better to have take a striker off rather than weaken the midfield.  Having said that the loss was largely down to the mental strength of the players. As soon as they scored I said to my son they will get another which they duly did. Then to concede a free kick right at the end in front of goal was just plain stupid. We just gifted them the points.

The team lacks consistency and that needs to be sorted. I'm, definitely not in the Smith out camp but a few results like today will put a lot of pressure on him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jim said:

Absolute shambles. Disgraceful to lose a 2 goal lead in 10 minutes. All on Smith and I don’t want to see 5-3-2 again.

McGinn was outstanding and if it wasn’t for him it would have been an average performance for 80 minutes.

Also, WTF were the police thinking letting the Wolves fans out at the same time as us. It was like running the gauntlet to get to the car.

More pain awaits I'm afraid.

Watkins is his love child and he isn't gonna bench Ings who is a big money transfer.

Â