Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Wolves

limpid

Match Polls  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/10/21 at 22:59

Never rated Tuanzebe when he was on loan. I feel for Emi. Had sod all to do yet picks the ball out the net 3 times. Wrong subs. Wrong tactics. The balance of the team is so wrong. He hasn't a clue how to set us up. Smith's beginning to look out of his depth.

That was shocking. We wobbled after going ahead both times. We never looked convincing and the balance of the side is so so wrong. Konsa is our one class defender. The other two can do one as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MattVillaPortsmouth said:

But the end results says it was.  Maybe not on it’s own, but when it’s combined with Ramsey for Beundia that’s a virtual 180 shift in ability and know how in midfield. 

Wolves were playing through us for most of the game but bar that mad Traore run they didn't create that much.

That they scored from two set pieces we horribly defended kind of hints that DS just totally messed up the last sub. Had to do a defensive change with that and not putting Hause on just wrong call and it really backfired.

Not much use having Young's experience around the club if we're putting him on at 2 up and lose 3-2. His skillset isn't really heading corners away from six yard box.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Subs changed the game. We were 2-0 up and deservedly so after 80 mins. Podence changed the game for them but we massively shit the bed like Villa of old. You cant say its common look at all the leads we saw out last season and this! Awful result but no need to overreact

I thought we were very lucky to be 2:0 up, they almost handed us the second. I could smell a draw a mile away when every decision, every 50:50 went their way and they went on the front foot.

But those subs and the players mentally falling apart is at least 50% down to Dean and 50% the players letting the fans and manager down.

I hope this is the end of 3:5:2 and the Ollie and Ings partnership, I know it won't be, but one can blindly hope.

1 minute ago, Vancvillan said:

Of all the players to single out today you pick our clear MOTM? 

"Clear Man Of the Match" 

Yeah he scored a goal and got an assist but a number of times he just doesn't press, he doesn't keep possession, he doesn't track back. And yes he had a great 15 minute stretch which resulted in us scoring twice. But outside of that he had a fairly poor game. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

There's overreacting and then there's the bed wetting from those desperate to moan

I think it's just frustration really. I mean 2 up to losing 3-2 in 10 minutes and against a local rival we want to finish above again is kind of going to draw that out isn't it?

At 2 up we're 7th and only a point or two off top 4. Now we're looking at establishing ourselves back in bottom half if we lose at Arsenal.

Don't think it's wrong for people to want a bit better than that. When all fit we do have some very good players at this club as they've proved at times this season.

Think my worry is DS just won't have the skillset to manage it all and we'll continue throwing away winnable games with questionable in game calls like today.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You're probably right but McGinn was immense today so seems a bit of a weird time to be making that point

Maybe it's because as soon as we take one Midfielder off our entire team collapses. And you know what, when the same Midfielder couldn't play against Watford we got dominated. 

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

"Clear Man Of the Match" 

Yeah he scored a goal and got an assist but a number of times he just doesn't press, he doesn't keep possession, he doesn't track back. And yes he had a great 15 minute stretch which resulted in us scoring twice. But outside of that he had a fairly poor game. 

If not SJM, enlighten me - who was your MOTM?

4 minutes ago, Dale said:

Nakamba on to protect lead. Correct. Young on to add a bit of experience and composure. Right. Ramsey on to offer energy. Right. 

I think playing two up top is wrong generally. But unless your changing system with subs those were perfectly reasonable. 

Disagree.  Nakamba and Ramsey are not good enough to play in this league (yet in the case of the latter).  Taking off Doug and Emi handed Wolves the initiative on a plate.  One or the other I could see - but not both.  Momentum is so important and we gave it all away. 

We've been really unlucky that we have yet to have our first XI available - when I think we will play 4-3-3 with Ings, Ollie and Bailey up front.  Looks like Doug, Emi and McGinn will work as a central three.  So I don't think 3-5-2 is our preferred line-up long term.  But we didn't give Wolves a sniff with that formation until we took off our deep play maker and our main technical / attacking threat in the centre of the pitch.  Madness.

4 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

433 worked well last year. We have the players for 433 - we don’t fit 352. 

Deano not wanting to bench one of our two £30M strikers is the main issue, or at least to push Watkins wide in a front 3 until Bailey is fit. 

Axel didn’t add more in defence than Sanson or Nakamba would have in midfield. Hopefully that’s the end of 3-5-2. 

Sanson, Luiz and McGinn for Arsenal, please.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, striker said:

All on Smith that. Took 3 best players off thinking game was won.

Alternatively, he took Cash off because he was injured and limping badly and he took Luiz and Buendia off because (a) they were flagging and (b) Wolves were over-running our midfield. The two subs were the right ones for me but the only "error" was really from Tuanzebe for failing to clear the second goal.

Ramsey had to make the (attempted) tackle on Traore because he was about to unleash from right in front ...... he would have been slated had he not done so.

Until we dropped a goal, we were doing well at 2-0 and I think most on here would be singing a different song had it stayed that way. We won 70 minutes and lost 20 minutes today ...... that would win most games !  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Any kind of optimism I had for the season has just evaporated tbh. I almost just don't even care.

Damn, just like that? The loss only hurts as much as it did because we were so good for the first 80 mins. Kick in the teeth yes, but surely theres still a lot to be optimistic about.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Guy has a clear agenda against Mcginn and has been advocating for him to be dropped for like a year now.

I don't have an agenda against McGinn. He played great for about 15 minutes. But I think he costs this team more than he adds. Getting a goal and assist is all well and good but when you don't get in the ball for 15 minutes as a Midfielder as the opponents go onto score 3 in that period maybe your offensive contributions our outweighed by your poor defence. 

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

Maybe it's because as soon as we take one Midfielder off our entire team collapses. And you know what, when the same Midfielder couldn't play against Watford we got dominated. 

Yeah but it's a bit weird to blame that on McGinn when he was the best player on the pitch today.

I agree with your point. Our midfield is weak. Nakamba and Ramsey just aren't good enough and Luiz is essential.

But to put that blame on McGinn today is... odd

Just now, Keyblade said:

Damn, just like that? The loss only hurts as much as it did because we were so good for the first 80 mins. Kick in the teeth yes, but surely theres still a lot to be optimistic about.

Of course there are things to be optimistic about, but that shitshow has severely damaged my confidence in this team and will always leave me wondering when the next **** up is coming, even if we're 2/3 up and cruising.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Define "glory" 

Because that squad is a long way off it let alone Smith 

I think a lot of people genuinely think we're on our way to the top 4 or something. Plenty of disappointment in store I feel.

• Like 3

Â