January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

2 hours ago, Awol said:

Julian Alvarez  - anywhere in front 3

Cheick Doucoure - CDM

Mario Hermoso - CB/LB 

Do all that for around £70M in Jan and we’ll have a very good second half of the season. 

you would think...but im afraid we are going to sign half of rangers in january...

7 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Stirling is only 26 as well.  Would love him at a reasonable price but no way will he take a pay cut and no way should we pay Man City level wages.

Also why would he leave?

Crazy that he is only 26.

Feels like he's been around for ages. 

• Like 3

I think with Axel only on loan and Hause out of contract in the summer, we’re nailed on to take Connor Goldson off Rangers. He’s also out of contract in the summer, so if we pushed this in January it wouldn’t be a huge fee.

Hope we pursue a left back as competition for Targett? Hickey being the obvious one I suppose.

CDM is a must but who? Be interesting to see if Gerrard also sees this as a cause for concern.

Finally, cheeky January bid for this Alvarez guy or go after Carvalho at Fulham? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

I think with Axel only on loan and Hause out of contract in the summer, we’re nailed on to take Connor Goldson off Rangers. He’s also out of contract in the summer, so if we pushed this in January it wouldn’t be a huge fee.

Hope we pursue a left back as competition for Targett? Hickey being the obvious one I suppose.

CDM is a must but who? Be interesting to see if Gerrard also sees this as a cause for concern.

Finally, cheeky January bid for this Alvarez guy or go after Carvalho at Fulham? 

Goldson would be a terrible signing. He is nearly 29 and step up is huge from playing centre back at Rangers. Rather activate the Hause extension that he apparently has in his deal

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

If they were already thinking of relieving Dean in the summer then they should have gotten rid then, got a new manager in and got the players in that he wanted.

Now this is correct.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

If they were already thinking of relieving Dean in the summer then they should have gotten rid then, got a new manager in and got the players in that he wanted.

I think that was on their minds. Beating Spurs and Chelsea at the end of the season, along with the uncertainty of life without Grealish probably swayed their decision. They probably regretted it after a few games but when we really started to struggle they were left with little choice. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think that was on their minds. Beating Spurs and Chelsea at the end of the season, along with the uncertainty of life without Grealish probably swayed their decision. They probably regretted it after a few games but when we really started to struggle they were left with little choice. 

I think this is bang on and I do not like their approach, if they consider him not the level they want to progress with, they should not mess about and must act quicker. We all loved Deano but if he had a ceiling then he had one and replacing him should have happened when we were an even more attractive proposition. Be like Chelsea, be ruthless, I didn't really want him out but I can see and now accept the logic, I agree now and SG might we'll take us forward, is he a better coach, no one knows, his key attributes are his higher profile and perceived standing in the game and his killer instinct, I hope they are enough 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

I think this is bang on and I do not like their approach, if they consider him not the level they want to progress with, they should not mess about and must act quicker. We all loved Deano but if he had a ceiling then he had one and replacing him should have happened when we were an even more attractive proposition. Be like Chelsea, be ruthless, I didn't really want him out but I can see and now accept the logic, I agree now and SG might we'll take us forward, is he a better coach, no one knows, his key attributes are his higher profile and perceived standing in the game and his killer instinct, I hope they are enough 

I think not liking their approach is a bit harsh Phil. Their overall approach has been excellent since they arrived. I think it was probably a mistake and they may agree, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. These decisions aren’t always black or white. There was probably an element of personal affection for Dean, which most of us have too, which may on this occasion have clouded their view. Sacking someone in any profession is rarely easy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think not liking their approach is a bit harsh Phil. Their overall approach has been excellent since they arrived. I think it was probably a mistake and they may agree, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. These decisions aren’t always black or white. There was probably an element of personal affection for Dean, which most of us have too, which may on this occasion have clouded their view. Sacking someone in any profession is rarely easy. 

This is very true Dave, words of wisdom as always pal.

31 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Gerrard probably wasn’t ready to move then, Purslow had to wait to given the green light.

Summer 2020 and Summer 2021 I wouldn't have been hugely against switching Smith out for someone definitely better.

We've now done it between windows on someone who could go either way really. Helps Gerrard in a way that we were in such rotten form under Smith, but it doesn't smack of a definite success. I think the personalities we've acquired in the last four windows puts us in a strong position regarding staying up.

• Like 1

Linked with Ryan Kent already today with some media outlets. No issue with him but with Bailey and El Ghazi on the books already, someone would have to go I suppose if we were interested?

There’s going to be a lot of lazy links for the next six weeks or so.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Awol said:

Julian Alvarez  - anywhere in front 3

Cheick Doucoure - CDM

Mario Hermoso - CB/LB 

Do all that for around £70M in Jan and we’ll have a very good second half of the season. 

And then they don’t settle within 3 games, the fans get on their backs, the social media abuse begins and we buy again the summer to replace them, 

I love the cycle of signing new players

3 minutes ago, Stoobs said:

Be astounded if he doesn’t come to Villa Park. Villa need a quality CDM, he is best CDM in Scotland, one of Gerrard’s favourites, established internationalist, good age. Pity he recently signed an extended contract with Rangers. Gerrard was desperate to get that deal done now he probably wishes he wasn’t as persuasive.