Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

34 minutes ago, May-Z said:

Odd call. 

In your opinion, how could he have done better?

He wasn't involved a lot but I don't think that was down to him.

Pass the ball, make himself available. He was just too slow

Ings is a good signing but he shouldn’t be starting. We can only play 1 striker and that should be Ollie. Ings is first reserve and super sub. If Dean tries to play both Ollie and Ings then we are in big trouble.

• Confused 3

3 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Ings is a good signing but he shouldn’t be starting. We can only play 1 striker and that should be Ollie. Ings is first reserve and super sub. If Dean tries to play both Ollie and Ings then we are in big trouble.

Ollie was injured. No choice. 

The plan with Ings is that we now have another striker. Because up until 11 days ago we had only 1 premier league worthy striker to try and meet the stated aim of the club which is to get to Europe. 

The problem with our first game was that we were a two man team not one man last season in terms of how we played. Ollie to stretch the defence and run for 90 mins. And Grealish to exploit the space on the left. 

Seems like Norwich fans knew what they were talking about when they said Emi is no good at a 10 and now i can see why. He isnt a 5 yard passer that does flicks and tricks in front of the central defence. He is a 15 -20 yard passer who gets space on the right of midfield and then comes inside to get into scoring positions. 

So Dean has the problem of not only finding a position for Ings but also of how to fit Watkins Ings and Bailey into the same team. 

Good luck because if Buendia isnt a 10 then its going to be really hard to do that. 

BUT he will. A few more weeks of getting to know each others game will really help

One thing that i remember from watching the Benjamin Bloom football thingy on youtube is that he saw one of his first games for Norwich and thought he was nothing special. 

Then 3 months later watched him again and it was like watching a totally different player. On the same wavelength as all of his teammates and he ran the show. 

Rome wasnt built in a day but there cannot be 2 months of bedding in.

He will come very good soon enough 

Yep. No service. Don't remember a single pass to feet for him. I do think that's all fixable. This was the first time that lineup or the adjusted lineup post-half time have ever played together. 

Ash & Targett - never played together - get demolished. Cash & AEG - unfamiliar - look poor. Ings & Emi - first time together - no understanding. 

Pity it will take time. Need to pick up points to keep pressure off.

I have no issues with Ings but to me the signing doesn't make sense and I said that at the time. You can't play him, Watkins, Buendia, Bailey together without giving up the CM area to the other team or putting Watkins in a position he's not good at. McGinn and Nakamba is an absolutely horrendous pairing, maybe once Luiz and Sanson get back they might be able to hold it down as their ball retention and passing is a lot better.

We needed an experienced proven 29 year old to add to the squad but at CM, not up front.

• Confused 1

What we needed was a backup striker who would be happy to fight for his place.

Ings is not that.

As a result Smith will probably feel he will have to get them both in the same team, and I'm not sure it's gonna work out too well.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

What in the hell am I reading in here… Ings didn’t have a great game because he had close to zero service. It’s that simple. The guy is a monster at converting opportunities if you create some for him.

As ever, VT going into insane over drive from one bad result making stupid conclusions.

I just hope to god the players themselves don’t read some of the stuff on here.

Overreaction on one game, saying he shouldn’t be starting anyway? What a load of rubbish. I’ve said it before, there’s no way he would have joined us to sit on the bench. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

I have no issues with Ings but to me the signing doesn't make sense and I said that at the time. You can't play him, Watkins, Buendia, Bailey together without giving up the CM area to the other team or putting Watkins in a position he's not good at. McGinn and Nakamba is an absolutely horrendous pairing, maybe once Luiz and Sanson get back they might be able to hold it down as their ball retention and passing is a lot better.

We needed an experienced proven 29 year old to add to the squad but at CM, not up front.

Who would have started as a striker yesterday if we didn't have Ings? What if Watkins isn't fit for Newcastle?

We can't go through the whole season with a pre-defined "starting XI" - we have to have options to adapt depending on who we're playing.

Plus since when did Ollie become that player that doesn't require competition to fight for his place? We also forget that he's come straight from the Championship and will have never played alongside a striker of Ings' quality consistently before. He'll learn a lot on how to improve his game.

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 1

Game 1, hardly any preseason, given pretty much zero service.  
How we can blame him for yesterday is beyond me.

The midfield and defence let us down completely.  
Very few players came out of that game with any credit.  Targett was the worst of the bunch, and he was unbelievable last season.

Fitness was clearly an issue, along with several new faces.

Ings will score 10+ goals this season, and probably 15+
Lets not write him off after one shit show 

17 hours ago, Spoony said:

Still so unsure with this signing. Just don’t get what the plan is with him. He’s like Darren Bent but that just doesn’t work with how we otherwise play. Feels a bit like the Hogan signing 

Many will disagree with that, but I understand what you mean, and my first reaction to this signing was as well that he is the poacher type of striker that I'm not sure fits 100% to our team. Now I get he is quite good all round and perhaps not just a poacher, but surly that's his biggest strength. The comparision to Darren Bent seems quite accurate, in style of play also with Hogan, though obviously a huge gap in quality between them.

I think Ings had an ok game yesterday, he wasn't bad, and it looked more like the team was not used to play together and weren't fully prepared (which is natural given they have only trained together for a week or two).

But based on that performance I think Watkins gives more to the team, he presses more and he stretched the opponents more with his runs, and is faster. Ings is surly more clinical and better at sniffing up chances, but to our overall play for now it seems Watkins would contribute more. Would be interesting to see them together up top. As I said in the Buendia thread I thought he was played too far up the pitch, so another striker in that position would seem logic. Problem with that is that we would have a huge gap to our two defensive midfielders and only rely on our wide forwards/wingers to create chances. Neither Ings or Watkins is a no 10. Dare I say it but it could work better with a proper target player like Wesley in the no 10 role. 

Think he'll be very useful for us and that he's a great attacker, but I did not expect us to sign such a high profile, established striker since I couldn't see how one would fit in with the line-up or players we already have at the club.

Still not sure about it but as long as Watkins is injured I'm delighted that we have him.

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Think he'll be very useful for us and that he's a great attacker, but I did not expect us to sign such a high profile, established striker since I couldn't see how one would fit in with the line-up or players we already have at the club.

Still not sure about it but as long as Watkins is injured I'm delighted that we have him.

I think it was partly politics - looking for a high profile signing to compensate for the loss of Grealish. The timing of the announcement backs that up strongly.

Personally I have admired Ings for a long time and I am delighted to have him in the squad.

Lots of comments here saying how they aren’t sure how he’s going to fit in the squad, etc. Really, that’s the manager’s problem, not ours. I think my role will be just to sit back and enjoy seeing him perform for the team.

(Also think it’s absurd to write him off as some are doing on the basis of his participation in a well below par team performance in yesterday’s match. One in which he scored!)

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

I think it was partly politics - looking for a high profile signing to compensate for the loss of Grealish. The timing of the announcement backs that up strongly.

Personally I have admired Ings for a long time and I am delighted to have him in the squad.

Lots of comments here saying how they aren’t sure how he’s going to fit in the squad, etc. Really, that’s the manager’s problem, not ours. I think my role will be just to sit back and enjoy seeing him perform for the team.

(Also think it’s absurd to write him off as some are doing on the basis of his participation in a well below par team performance in yesterday’s match. One in which he scored!)

Yeah I'm certainly not doing that.

Â