Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

Once you ignore penalties, his goal-scoring rate last season isn't much better than Watkins. 0.41 per 90 compared to 0.35 per 90.

But I noticed that a lot of that was due to his xG dropping a lot. His finishing in between 19-20 and 20-21 seasons seemed to hold up, its just his xG went from 0.54 to 0.34 in those 2 seasons. Somehow, he was getting a lot less service. I'm guessing the idea is, if he continues to get proper service(which Buendia and Bailey would hopefully provide), he can get back to his 19-20 season. In which case, he'll leave Watkins in the dust as our best striker.

5 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

I like the link up play. Just needs to develop the relationships  with other players now! Very exciting signing. I am confident Ings will be a success.

His goal is fairly typical.

McGinn plays a hopeful ball forward, Jaden makes chase and the defense turns to watch and are static, expecting the ball to go out of play. The majority of Villa players are also static...

... except Ings, who stays on his toes and is first to react when Jaden turns the ball back in, slotting home past a bemused defense.

It's that predatory instinct which isn't there in our other forwards, including Watkins.

1 hour ago, ozvillafan said:

His goal is fairly typical.

McGinn plays a hopeful ball forward, Jaden makes chase and the defense turns to watch and are static, expecting the ball to go out of play. The majority of Villa players are also static...

... except Ings, who stays on his toes and is first to react when Jaden turns the ball back in, slotting home past a bemused defense.

It's that predatory instinct which isn't there in our other forwards, including Watkins.

You don’t think Watkins has a predatory instinct? 14 Premier League goals last season 

27 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

You don’t think Watkins has a predatory instinct? 14 Premier League goals last season 

Watkins isn't the finished article, if he took penalties, would of had 19/20 goals last season.

I think Ings will compliment him, but also challenge and improve him, in 1-2 seasons he will hopefully be that predator.

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He went on the most incredibly unlucky run too - how many ridiculous offsides and post/bar hits?! 

He could've easily another five goals.

He's a top striker.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Correct. I don't think Watkins has a predatory instinct.

That does not infer that he's not a goal scorer and not a good striker. I love him and think he's phenomenal.

But if there's a half chance to be taken in the box - Ings is your man.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

How about the D'ream tune

""iiiings can only get better......can only get better""

Ok, i'll grab my coat too

:blush:

Certainly beats my idea of something a la "These are a few of mye favorite Ings" 🤣

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, QldVilla said:

Watkins isn't the finished article, if he took penalties, would of had 19/20 goals last season.

I think Ings will compliment him, but also challenge and improve him, in 1-2 seasons he will hopefully be that predator.

Watkins sucks at penalties based on history. Only scored 30 percent of them so far in his senior career.

If he took all 6 of our penalties last season, he would've scored only 2 of them at that rate. Which would only be 1 more goal than his current total goal talley

Edited by Laughable Chimp

5 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Watkins sucks at penalties based on history. Only scored 30 percent of them so far in his senior career.

If he took all 6 of our penalties last season, he would've scored only 2 of them at that rate. Which would only be 1 more goal than his current total goal talley

No argument there, my point being most of the elite strikers take the penalties which obviously inflates their goal scoring records.

Always thought his penalty taking was a technical issue and he could change and improve.

"Bailey to the left of him, Emi to the right,

Danny Ings, stuck in the middle with Lou"

Just need to sign someone called Lou and that'll work. Also need to play Bailey on the left and Emi on the right.

It'll all be worth it though.

6 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

"Bailey to the left of him, Emi to the right,

Danny Ings, stuck in the middle with Lou"

Just need to sign someone called Lou and that'll work. Also need to play Bailey on the left and Emi on the right.

It'll all be worth it though.

Dougie Lou says hi

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

I like the link up play. Just needs to develop the relationships  with other players now! Very exciting signing. I am confident Ings will be a success.

Thanks for posting that - I missed the game. I was concerned we'd lose a bit of guile and forward energy on the left with Jack gone, but Ings looks to be as good there. Very promising. 

Â