Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

Shame for Ings but he already has his foot in the door, GS probably just wants a look at Bamford. 

It’s good for us to be honest, pretty much all of our squad will be able to train together during the break. Hopefully we’ll really see the benefit of it.

• Like 2

Honestly couldn't give a **** if Ings never plays for England again. Southgate is a shit manager and has caused us nothing but trouble.

These new refereeing guidelines could really expose Southgate's vanilla schoolboy approach. With the exception of Rice, Mings and Maguire (and maybe Phillips) it's a very lightweight squad.

Ings has that classic Bent/Defoe/Andy Cole thing going on. A natural goalscorer who will get overlooked at international level. And then when Kane gets injured everyone will wonder why he wasn't on the bench. And Southgate will come out with some shite about "culture".

Posting it here since I'm not sure where else is more suitable.

I'm still worried about our ability to create chances in open play. So far all our goals have been screamers or penalties. I don't think the rate at which we're getting both is sustainable. The fact that we're dead last in non-penalty expected goals(in both understat and fbref's databases) support this idea even though some teams above us have only played 2 games.

The thing is, I feel like we should be creating more chances considering how good our wingers have been at times. I think Buendia has been pretty good these past 2 league games, showcasing his ability to thread a pass through a defence and El Ghazi was rampaging down that left hand side against Brentford. But in both games I'm left thinking how at the end of the day, we didn't really create all that much in open play. Would this change with the addition of Bailey and Traore? Perhaps. But the fact that our wingers played well and still weren't able to create that many chances suggests to me that perhaps the problems like somewhere deeper or somewhere else.

I've mentioned in the past how I thought Ings has been isolated in the previous games and for much of the Brentford game this was true as well. As I've said, I've seen several times now where one of our wingers performs well in their area of the pitch and advances the ball but for some reason or another the attack breaks down soon after. How many times did El Ghazi get the better of his man at Brentford for example yet how many times did the move actually end in a good chance. Not many. Same thing with Buendia.

An interesting statistic is that Ings only received 25 percent of all passes targeted to him successfully in the Watford game and 39 percent in both the Newcastle and Brentford games. Both statistics are well below the PL average and his last season average. For some reason, that final ball is failing to reach him and I suspect that most of our attacks are breaking down at this point.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Can I just say that if Ings does not win Premier League goal of the month for the Newcastle game, the world is 100% broken.

The Man City player Gresford had an accidental goal come off his shins.  He has also improved by 11,000,000% since moving from an unknown club to the best club in the universe.  Therefore Gresford should win goal of the month.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Can I just say that if Ings does not win Premier League goal of the month for the Newcastle game, the world is 100% broken.

Fan vote and up against Fernandes 

Not a chance, they should ban fans voting for anything but they no doubt use them to generate traffic and money 

On 29/08/2021 at 13:05, Laughable Chimp said:

I'm still worried about our ability to create chances in open play.

no need to worry right now imo.

We have Buendia and Ings fit (Buendia isnt/wasnt fully fit), we are missing Watkins, Bailey and Traore from the mix, we are effectively missing 60% of the players who would be challenging for the front 4 slots if everyone was fit, any team who was missing 60% of their front 4 options might struggle at least a little.

Lets see how we do when our front line is fully fit, if its still not looking good by mid season, then we can moan!

• Like 1

I'm still worried about our ability to create chances in open play. So far all our goals have been screamers or penalties. I don't think the rate at which we're getting both is sustainable. The fact that we're dead last in non-penalty expected goals(in both understat and fbref's databases) support this idea even though some teams above us have only played 2 games.

The thing is, I feel like we should be creating more chances considering how good our wingers have been at times. I think Buendia has been pretty good these past 2 league games, showcasing his ability to thread a pass through a defence and El Ghazi was rampaging down that left hand side against Brentford. But in both games I'm left thinking how at the end of the day, we didn't really create all that much in open play. Would this change with the addition of Bailey and Traore? Perhaps. But the fact that our wingers played well and still weren't able to create that many chances suggests to me that perhaps the problems like somewhere deeper or somewhere else.

I've mentioned in the past how I thought Ings has been isolated in the previous games and for much of the Brentford game this was true as well. As I've said, I've seen several times now where one of our wingers performs well in their area of the pitch and advances the ball but for some reason or another the attack breaks down soon after. How many times did El Ghazi get the better of his man at Brentford for example yet how many times did the move actually end in a good chance. Not many. Same thing with Buendia.

An interesting statistic is that Ings only received 25 percent of all passes targeted to him successfully in the Watford game and 39 percent in both the Newcastle and Brentford games. Both statistics are well below the PL average and his last season average. For some reason, that final ball is failing to reach him and I suspect that most of our attacks are breaking down at this point.

This is totally expected though. The following players are the top four in number of assists last season Buendia, Traore, Bailey, Watkins. Notice something about that list?

Buendia clearly not fully fit for our opening games and is only now showing a bit of form with his improved performance against Newcastle. Bailey has only played a few mins and has already an assist, Traore won the penalty in a handful of mins too. Watkins only a handful of mins too. 

So it's very simple logic that if all your creative players are injured the chances you create from open play will be low vs what you would expect when they play. 

Don't worry we have double figures for goal contributions from open play from the following players. Ings, Watkins, Bailey, Buendua, Traore. We need 3 or 4 of them on the pitch in most games really.

• Like 1

We are poor at that currently but we haven’t played our intended 11 yet. We’ve either been missing our forward line, midfield creatives or midfield defensive/anchor or all. 

I am certain with Ollie, Buendia, Traore, Ings, AEG, Bailey, McGinn, Luiz and now even Bidace available it will be completely different within 5 games. It might take half a season, but we will be totally different and I am sure the stats will be transformed.

Edited by thunderball

On 29/08/2021 at 17:35, Laughable Chimp said:

The problem wasn't so much thw width but it was the quality in the final third and in particular what we were getting from central midfield to be able to find those pockets of space. McGinn is good and transitioning through the lines and getting us moving - we didn't have that on Saturday, and Chuk and Young for different reasons were not able to do the job that you want from a number 8. buendia didn't create a great deal but he didn't have the usual triangles we employ, or that he could use to shift the ball quicker. Ings wasn't able to run the channels or drop deep for varying reasons (not his style; doesn't have the pace etc) but mainly because there were no runs from the central midfield areas to get into the space left by him if he did come out of the middle.

We noticeable had a press in the first half (when the keeper had it Ings often went and the midfield 3 then pressed and we usually got the ball back, but then everyone was looking for someone to run rather than moving the ball quickly and them getting into the box. I don't remember seeing Young, Chuk, Buendia in there that often.

So, its not really a worry just that when better players come back we will be able to the things that will make us create and dominate the centre of the park more often.

On 02/09/2021 at 21:29, villa4europe said:

Fan vote and up against Fernandes 

Not a chance, they should ban fans voting for anything but they no doubt use them to generate traffic and money 

You were right Bruno Fernandes won. Decent goal, but no way should it beat the Ings goal. Once in a season job. 

F***ing hate those plastic glory hunting bastards who support United.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

You were right Bruno Fernandes won. Decent goal, but no way should it beat the Ings goal. Once in a season job. 

F***ing hate those plastic glory hunting bastards who support United.  

Why am I so mad about this 😂.  Take me back to a time when a legit bicycle kick automatically won you goal of the month. 

• Like 1

Â