Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

12 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Yes. I don't see why Watkins can't play the Mane role

Well he could, really Watkins could play along the whole of the frontline and that's what Smith wants in his players. He wants his guys to be able to multi role. I think Smith wants to have someone as a free unit and Watkins with that energy he has can operate like that.

Maybe this is the reason why we got Ings over Tammy and if I'm honest about it in this way it does make sense if thats what Smith is looking for in players. Ings can play on the left also and hes often played like Grealish has for us, but for Southampton. We also have Watkins that can change around but he operates in a massive area because he has that much energy.

Now is the time that we start to see Hybrid roles pop up at villa now the stability of a team has took shape. Remember before you can just throw a mane type player and the complexity of that type of role in your team, you first have to get the simple things down right like defending and attacking. I am hinking were going to see alot of new things in the coming seasons under Smith. While some may not think so Kiwi I'll still throw my weight behind Smith and say he's our own version of Fergie minus the boot lol (I've said it since we came up).

Do we actually have a player, that only has one position that he can only play, I'm not sure we do, i think even Martinez has some playtime outside of his net doesn't he? 

As for can Watkins play like Mane, I feel it's actually Ings that plays similar to him when Ings is outside of the opposition box making his runs to the inside of the box. When Watkins and Ings are both playing together there is nothing to say that both cant take that mane role and make it work between them and interchange as the game goes on right? I think Smith is going for confusion on field, he wants players moving and swapping all game, hes trying to get the opponent to make mistakes and were now trying to do it at higher speeds now which is fantastic. 

I'm just looking forward to seeing us at full strength with all the players we bought in the window on field together. I think when our players have learned eachother very well and know what each other is all about, were going to be amazed and see things weve not even seen yet even when we had Grealish and played our best last season, the best is still a long way off I think.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, MaVilla said:

This is what I think.

Too many seem to think a striker can only play centrally.

Mane plays left inside forward, Salah right inside forward.

I think watkins would be deadly as a left inside forward, especially with Bailey, ings and buendia buzzing around.

I think our best front 4 might be watkins - ings - Bailey with buendia in behind at the point of a midfield 3, or as one of two 8s. 

That's just it, were buying multifunctional players, not the one role fits one position any longer.

Watkins would be great anywhere along the frontline, he's that type of player that does the business where he's put. He worked out for brentford on the right. Watkins has also worked for us Centrally where he changes between central and left, in and ever changing role which sometimes he plays. I think Smith will now give a free role to Watkins now Grealish has gone, it seems to be a favourite of Smith to give one player a free role and who better to give that to than the guy who has no end of energy.

Teams are going to find it very tough to nullify Watkins, Ings, Traore, Bailey and Buendia.

• Like 2

On 21/08/2021 at 15:10, villalad21 said:

Then what about Bailey? Assuming Buendia plays in the right 

It's going to be tough to fit everyone in when everyone's healthy!

I still think that Smith will play a 4-2-3-1 a lot with Ings up front and maybe Watkins - Buendia - Bailey in the 3. Watkins can operate on the left or centrally, Bailey can operate on the right or left, Buendia seemed to have license to roam against Newcastle and even popped up the left a few times. I can see them switching constantly to confuse defenders.

But if you do 4-2-3-1, how do you choose among Ramsey, McGinn, and Luiz? Not to mention Sanson when he's finally health? Questions, questions. The starting XI chose itself last year. I'd rather have these sorts of problems.

I just remember that this is a Danny Ings thread, so I think I've drifted off-topic...

15 hours ago, TRO said:

Its a trade mark for Danny, He is a serial goal scorer....and thats his party piece.

It was a smart piece of business and when he plays in a settled team, he will be even  better.

Let's not under estimate the quaility required to execute that goal

It was aesthetically perfect but the even better part was how it popped off his boot. It sounded amazing . 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve talking to other clubs fans (Liverpool and United 🤢) and had a few comments of how it’s not that good. 

Can you imagine the reactions we’d be getting if Bruno or Salah scored that. 

Hey mate, now you've admitted the problem you can get the help you need.  

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve talking to other clubs fans (Liverpool and United 🤢) and had a few comments of how it’s not that good. 

Can you imagine the reactions we’d be getting if Bruno or Salah scored that. 

i mean....ye, if Salah, Fernandes, Mike Lubb, Rashford etc scored Ing's goal....they would be creaming all over it.

32 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i mean....ye, if Salah, Fernandes, Mike Lubb, Rashford etc scored Ing's goal....they would be creaming all over it.

If Lubb scored it it would literally be front page news. Everyone would be creaming over it for months.

But because it's Ings and Villa, it gets little more than a token "oh yeah that was a stunning goal" before moving on.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I'm not letting the King be disrespected like that. 

I think Kodjias one against Fulham was better than Ings  

Yeah, I said it  

* actually just went and watched it on YouTube. It wasn't. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

My 5 year old almost missed this goal, and it was his first ever live game. He was about to piss himself and I stopped him at the top of the stairs as I knew it was the last action of the half. What a great goal and a special moment to be able to pick him up and jump around with him*. He loved the whole day and wants to go every week now. 

This is utterly superb. Genuinely makes me emotional reading this (I have a similar memory with my, now increasingly sick, dad). Neither of you will forget that moment.

• Like 4

Â