Tammy Abraham

nick76

1 minute ago, joshharris12 said:

I don’t see how we fit him in with Watkins ?

Easy, it’s called a squad game. Some of us have tried to explain this in previous pages in this thread, and some people then agree and the other people are wrong 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, joshharris12 said:

4-4-2? Buendia and grealish on the wings? McGinn and whoever in the cm could certainly work 

That would be horrific.  Grealish and Buendia aren't orthodox wingers. Smith doesn't do 442 and neither does barely any top level European team I can think of. 

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

That would be horrific.  Grealish and Buendia aren't orthodox wingers. Smith doesn't do 442 and neither does barely any top level European team I can think of. 

Atletico. But they basically play with one Winger as a central Midfielder and they have the best defence in Europe so you can get away with fewer midfielders. 

• Like 1

Unless we're changing formation, spending a large amount on Tammy doesn't quite make sense to me.

Paper talk I would think.

I reckon Smith would love him back but we have other areas to strengthen first.

• Like 3

Would be an excellent addition to the squad, adding quality, competition and variation. Lost count of how many times fans complained last season of no plan B, well here is a player who can offer that. It is a long season and we were lucky Watkins stayed fit last season. Would I like to go into the new season with the strikers we have? No. As for cost, I don't care really, if we want Europe we are going to have to spend big, and strikers cost the most as they put the ball in the net. So if this paper talk is correct then I'm more than happy with it, however so far this is paper talk, ITSOTP counts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, nick76 said:

Easy, it’s called a squad game. Some of us have tried to explain this in previous pages in this thread, and some people then agree and the other people are wrong 😂

But like many others have said he's leaving Chelsea because he's not guaranteed first choice... To come join us where he wouldn't be guaranteed first choice?? 

That doesn't make sense for him 

5 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Whatever people may think of this, I yhink it's a guarantee Deano likes the idea of having Tammy back.

It gives him depth and tactical options.

I like the idea too.

Options are important for any club serious about pushing on.

One question then, would Tammy be competing with Watkins for the number 9?

If not, then on what basis would he be joining?

For me whether it is Tammy or other, we need something different and someone who can challenge Watkins for playing time.

IMO Watkins can play behind a striker or out wide, which gives the team more options in attack.

• Like 1

I don't get why people are so keen to spend £40m on 'competition' for Ollie so that we have a good option if he gets injured...

A player that's played nearly every minute for the past 2 seasons.

But if we tried to spend £40m on somebody specifically to deputise Jack, and could play nowhere other than LW (so, not ESR). There would be a meltdown that Jack was leaving. A player that's spent months injured in 2 of the last 3 seasons.

11 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I don't get why people are so keen to spend £40m on 'competition' for Ollie so that we have a good option if he gets injured...

A player that's played nearly every minute for the past 2 seasons.

But if we tried to spend £40m on somebody specifically to deputise Jack, and could play nowhere other than LW (so, not ESR). There would be a meltdown that Jack was leaving. A player that's spent months injured in 2 of the last 3 seasons.

didn't we spend almost 40 million (with add ons) on Buendia who can deputise for Jack?

I am not sure why there is such anxiety about us signing Tammy, if Dean and co want him then they will know when, where/how to play him.

Some of the best Villa teams i have seen in my life time have had two strikers in the starting eleven. People crapping the bad over us playing different formations is weird also.

at the moment i am not convinced it is actually going to happen, but would love it if it did.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, VillanousOne said:

didn't we spend almost 40 million (with add ons) on Buendia who can deputise for Jack?

No, Buendia played 39 games on the RW last year and 0 anywhere else. I don't agree with them but some believe he magically converts to a 10 this year. But he won't be playing on the left either way. He's here to play with not instead of Jack.

2 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Some of the best Villa teams i have seen in my life time have had two strikers in the starting eleven. People crapping the bad over us playing different formations is weird also.

Even if we change formations, it'll be 1 Striker. Dean always prioritises 1 Striker unless chasing a game. But let's assume we do go to 2 up top

Tammy and Ollie would not complement each other as a partnership. They both like to hang on the shoulder of the last defender, it wouldn't work. Tammy is Darren Bent, he can hold the ball up well and score but not a lot else. Ollie doesn't have the first touch or passing ability to play as a 10. It's why he's nowhere near as effective on the wing. If we want a partnership, Tammy is not the guy.

And I don't believe Dean does want a partnership, so £40m on any striker isn't likely either (but happy to be proven wrong)

• Like 1

I just can't see this one happening. Unless Deano is planning on moving on Watkins out to left wing (where he's played earlier in his career) it just doesn't make sense to spend £40mil on competition for Ollie. I also dislike the idea of moving our top goalscorer into an area where he'd be less effective.

--------------- Tammy ---------------

Watkins - Grealish - Buendia

It looks pretty, granted, but I think we could spend our money more wisely elsewhere.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

I just can't see this one happening. Unless Deano is planning on moving on Watkins out to left wing (where he's played earlier in his career) it just doesn't make sense to spend £40mil on competition for Ollie. I also dislike the idea of moving our top goalscorer into an area where he'd be less effective.

--------------- Tammy ---------------

Watkins - Grealish - Buendia

It looks pretty, granted, but I think we could spend our money more wisely elsewhere.

Smith has said no intention of playing Watkins wide. This is Mirror dribble but kept going because people have a hard on about bringing back ex players

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Smith has said no intention of playing Watkins wide. This is Mirror dribble but kept going because people have a hard on about bringing back ex players

I have a hard on for calling out  'opinions' presented as 'statements' like yours.

none of us have a scooby what Dean and co are planning in terms of transfers and any changes in formations and tactics based on those transfers. I imagine having a better squad and a higher quality of players will actually change the way we play or at least give us options to change our tactics. Are the same people who claim Dean has no Plan B when we lose in matches then decrying the possibility of us having the players to create that Plan B?

Again all total conjecture and opinion not fact.

I didn't have a hard on for bringing Young back either, made little sense to me, but hundreds on here did and Dean clearly wanted him so that is fair enough.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 2

I'm not totally against playing Watkins on the left. 
With Grealish and Buendia as the other 2, I think there is enough creativity there to create plenty of chances. Watkins gives you pace, power, hard work and an eye for a goal. He'd also protect Targett a lot more and we'd be a more physical side. 

I don't really want to see it, but I think it could work, certainly in away matches where we perhaps don't have as much as the ball. Rashford see's himself as more of a striker but tends to play on the left and scores goals from that position, as does Martial (granted, both haven't had great seasons). Even Werner plays off the left for Chelsea sometimes. Having a striker play as a wide man might mean we score more goals, especially if Watkins drifts in at the back post when crosses are coming in down the right. 

Â