2021/22 expectations

Jareth

16 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Top half is minimum I think now. We really don't have to rush though. It's not like missing out on Europe destroys the team. We can continue to build over the next few years whilst our kids progress and develop. 

We were in rush mainly to keep Jack, now I think that pressure is off. But I really hope we make it to Europe. It will be short cut to where we’d like to be. 
We should take the cups seriously though, unlike last season.

• Like 1

I cant see any of the teams behind us last season overtaking us.  Everton looks to be taking a step back and feel West Ham and Leeds have not improved themselves too much.  Top 8 is definitely achievable, then it depends how Spurs and Arsenal roll.  Top 5 teams seems pretty much set. 

Edited by nepal_villan

3 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

We were in rush mainly to keep Jack, now I think that pressure is off. But I really hope we make it to Europe. It will be short cut to where we’d like to be. 

Hopefully with a stronger squad overall, the cups will be taken more seriously. I absolute hate clubs that are safe in the PL making no effort in the cups. 

Think we need to calm our expectations a little . We have new players that will need to time to gel and adjust . For us to finish higher than last year the new creative players need to hit the ground running. European football may be a stretch this year. 

7 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Hopefully with a stronger squad overall, the cups will be taken more seriously. I absolute hate clubs that are safe in the PL making no effort in the cups. 

I remember the other year we played a second team against City at FA cup, then lost 3-2 to Bolton. 
It’s not really a big issue. The issue is to surrender yet doesn’t mean you’ll do well in the league. 
play your best in all. Try to have the right balance. 

8 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I remember the other year we played a second team against City at FA cup, then lost 3-2 to Bolton. 
It’s not really a big issue. The issue is to surrender yet doesn’t mean you’ll do well in the league. 
play your best in all. Try to have the right balance. 

No depth though last year, now the kids are a year further on and we've got more players we should be able to manage to put out better sides int he cups.

Making the assumption that our spending is done at this point in time except for a backup keeper and CB, finishing 8-10 would be a good season.  Any club that has lost it's best player, and especially the one at the core of its team, would struggle but I think we've recruited well this summer in anticipation Jack was off.  Buendia for 35 million while Jack sold for 100 million is brilliant business and we've added quality depth in attack/creativity with Bailey and Ings.  We won't be overly reliant on one player again, but it's still going to depend on us replicating our defensive prowess from last season in addition to figuring out how to rip teams apart without Jack leading the attack.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

Top half would be enough for me this season. Losing Jack is massive and if we can still finish higher up the table anyway it will be a big achievement. Then the next season we can really push for top 6. 

This isn't meant to be an anti Jack comment because I loved his time with us as a Villa player .... but, I wouldn't be surprised if we find out that "give it to Jack" was actually holding up our team development. Our signings this summer have been excellent, and our revised method of getting the ball forward should be both quicker and more effective.

I think 8th place is a realistic target and with a bit of luck (if VAR behaves itself) 7th is possible.

13 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

We are in a rush.  Need to make Europe this year and start increasing our global presence.  The big boys are working on fully closing up elite membership and there is not much time (1-5 years) to get in there before it happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

We are in a rush.  Need to make Europe this year and start increasing our global presence.  The big boys are working on fully closing up elite membership and there is not much time (1-5 years) to get in there before it happens.

More so, don't make Europe this season and we might see Watkins, Konsa or Martinez pushing for a move next summer.

I'm not saying getting to Europe this season will be easy or even very likely, but the pressure is starting to build on the management team.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Yes. It simply NEVER makes sense, or can ever be justified. Why is anyone even playing the game in the first place if not for the chance of glory.

Oh wait, I didn't answer the question at hand: I'm hoping to feel less bruised over the Villa, and to find a new hero!

Edited by AvonVillain
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Condimentalist said:

Top half would be enough for me this season. Losing Jack is massive and if we can still finish higher up the table anyway it will be a big achievement. Then the next season we can really push for top 6. 

Yep, that’s how I feel too.

4 hours ago, KMitch said:

Making the assumption that our spending is done at this point in time except for a backup keeper and CB, finishing 8-10 would be a good season.  Any club that has lost it's best player, and especially the one at the core of its team, would struggle but I think we've recruited well this summer in anticipation Jack was off.  Buendia for 35 million while Jack sold for 100 million is brilliant business and we've added quality depth in attack/creativity with Bailey and Ings.  We won't be overly reliant on one player again, but it's still going to depend on us replicating our defensive prowess from last season in addition to figuring out how to rip teams apart without Jack leading the attack.  

Excellent summary. That's how I see it. The new recruits look good. But Jack leaves a massive hole - which won't be easily filled.

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Best thing about losing Jack is we don't have to panic about having to make top 4/6 as soon as possible to keep Jack. We can do it at our own pace now. Top half this season and good cup runs and I'm happy.

No no, read previous posts.  It’s even more imperative that we break top 6 this season.

• Like 1

Now Greal-hiss is out I think we'll be more flexible in formation, personnel and tactics. We were finding it difficult previously when the opposition doubled up on our star man, that won't happen anymore.

I'm thinking top 8 at least but hoping for Europe in some capacity. Villa are targeting the likes of Everton, Wet Spam, Arse-nal...

Eighth and winning a cup to get a place in Europe should be our target.

I really think the whole Villa team will become a lot closer after what has happened this summer and galvanised to make another improvement.

This is probably our second string team. We can do some real damage, at least in the first few rounds of the cups with this:

Watkins/Ings

El Ghazi                                       Traore

Chukwemueka      Sanson

Nakamba

Young       Hause       New CB     Guilbert

Steer

Â