2021/22 expectations

Jareth

It’s really hard to say at this stage, with the new players and how Smith will fit them in. There’s nine points waiting for us in the first 3 games, but doubt we will be sending out our best eleven.

Still believe there’s 1-2 pieces missing and will have a big determination on whether we can push up the ladder from last season.

I’ll go a conservative 11-12th, but if we bring in 1-2 quality players can see us pushing for 8-9th.

7 hours ago, lexicon said:

With Greedlish going, the focus needs to be on developing our new style of play - not reliant on one or two players, but several who will do the creative work. 

I'd say that the requirement for a decent season is to finish top half.

100 % this. 

We need to have some patience. Our club will not fall apart if we finish 8th or 9th this season. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

100 % this. 

We need to have some patience. Our club will not fall apart if we finish 8th or 9th this season. 

The club obviously won’t, but the team might.

Will 8th or 9th be enough to keep Martinez, Konsa, Watkins etc out of the clutches of other clubs come next summer? I’m not so sure.

For the record, I would be more than happy with that sort of league finish but just worry that it won’t be enough to keep the buzzards away.

34 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

100 % this. 

23 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

That's just stagnating.

No wonder Grealish buggered off.

Summer is over, new season about to start...

GTA San Andreas - Ah shit, here we go again. - YouTube

31 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

That's just stagnating.

No wonder Grealish buggered off.

its not stagnating though is it...we need time and patience, the club has shown signs that we arent going to try and buy a CL place because they know that they cant, instead we're going young and trying to develop a team capable of getting a CL place

it will take years, its going to be a marathon and i think our owners know that 

next season we need to show signs of progress, improve our consistency all whilst changing our style of play , id take a year of flirting with EL before maybe settling for 8th or 9th depending on what other teams around us do

this idea that we have to get EL or we have to get CL next season, its just unmerited pressure and unrealistic expectation, what we have to do is give these kids a launch pad for us to succeed further down the line, if that means losing a few games because we have a midfield under the age of 20 then so be it, in the long term it will be more beneficial 

when we finally get EL the likes of kesler, barry, chuk and ramsey x 2 will be playing in it as starters and that will be amazing for their development and thats what will then push us on for the CL - that is how i see the villa 5 year masterplan or whatever you want to call it, its definitely not stagnating

• Like 4

Expectations for me should be a top half finish with a decent run in both cups. We aren't going to get champions league and shouldn't be fighting off relegation so there is no reason not to go strong in the cups.

As for wants rather than expectations, I'd be really happy if we could get top 8 and get to at least the quarter finals in the FA cup and the semi final/final of the league cup (but realise that completely depends on the draws).

• Like 2

I think we'll need to have a few different formations depending on the opposition and if we are home/away. This 4-2-2-2 we played yesterday with two sitting midfielders and Ings coming deep when we don't have the ball is one. But we are in the market for another midfielder and with Sanson/McGinn/JJ/Luiz/CC and one more to replace Conor we won't be playing most of our games with 2 in midfield. 

I'll be very interested if we try a  3 5 2 or a 3 4 1 1 as Chelsea have done under Tuchel. I also see a 4 3 3 and 4 2 3 1 with Ings Sanson Carney or Buendia in central. 

I think the key to this season is how the team gel and how quickly that happens. I still feel a team with Bailey, Ings, Watkins away from home agaist the better teams with a  man midfield of Nakamba McGinn and Sanson has bite as the pace of the forwards is a big threat on counter. Leicester have done brilliantly with this type of counter attack threat.

I see a squad now, we just need another Nakamba type player as he is the only player we have with proper defensive skills and stats.

If we get these and the team gel quickly we can push for that top 6. It all depends on how Spurs and Arsenal go as I feel Everton and West Ham haven't moved forward and we can jump them.

Edited by CVByrne

33 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

The club obviously won’t, but the team might.

Will 8th or 9th be enough to keep Martinez, Konsa, Watkins etc out of the clutches of other clubs come next summer? I’m not so sure.

For the record, I would be more than happy with that sort of league finish but just worry that it won’t be enough to keep the buzzards away.

I get that but I think we need to move away from that mindset now that Jack has gone. 

We're bringing in young players and our academy is the strongest it's ever been. We're not going to just financially bully those top 5/6 clubs, we need to build something to go with our new spending power. 

You don't build something by constantly worrying about the short term. Yes we can't stand still or go backwards, but we need to focus on the progression of the club. It doesn't need to be a giant leap year on year. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I get that but I think we need to move away from that mindset now that Jack has gone. 

We're bringing in young players and our academy is the strongest it's ever been. We're not going to just financially bully those top 5/6 clubs, we need to build something to go with our new spending power. 

You don't build something by constantly worrying about the short term. Yes we can't stand still or go backwards, but we need to focus on the progression of the club. It doesn't need to be a giant leap year on year. 

You’re right, and we’re starting to reach that point where the improvements aren’t massive season on season as they have been the last 3 years, I think once you hit 7th or 8th it’s a massive struggle just to move up 1 place season on season.

I know we’ve got all the right people in charge of the club, and we seem to be making all the right moves in every aspect of the club. I guess I’m just worried about how football is becoming very ‘where we are right now’ and toxic agents ripping apart all our hard work because we don’t achieve CL football this season.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

You’re right, and we’re starting to reach that point where the improvements aren’t massive season on season as they have been the last 3 years, I think once you hit 7th or 8th it’s a massive struggle just to move up 1 place season on season.

I know we’ve got all the right people in charge of the club, and we seem to be making all the right moves in every aspect of the club. I guess I’m just worried about how football is becoming very ‘where we are right now’ and toxic agents ripping apart all our hard work because we don’t achieve CL football this season.

Absolutely. Only Leicester have been able to maintain sticking around those other clubs and they aren't able to progress league position every year. 

Get top half this season and then continue to build. I think that's acceptable for where we are and the summer we've had. 

• Like 1

If we are going to play 4-4-2/5-3-2 which is being reported I will readjust my prediction.

Steering more towards a 14th-13th finish now, and we may end up being in a relegation scrap.

Depends how long until Bailey and Buendia can get back and fit.

Edited by villalad21

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If we are going to play 4-4-2/5-3-2 which is being reported I will readjust my prediction.

Steering more towards a 14th-13th finish now, and we may end up being in a relegation scrap.

Depends how long until Bailey and Buendia can get back and fit.

I’d challenge this view on the basis that DS has never played this formation to my knowledge, or at least not consistently, and not with this group of players.

I can understand by all means if it’s something we start the season with, it clearly doesn’t work, we change it to something else with far more success, and then there are rumours circulating that he wants to go back to it, but you’ve just decided that it won’t work? What is your reasoning?

1 minute ago, Woody1000 said:

I’d challenge this view on the basis that DS has never played this formation to my knowledge, or at least not consistently, and not with this group of players.

I can understand by all means if it’s something we start the season with, it clearly doesn’t work, we change it to something else with far more success, and then there are rumours circulating that he wants to go back to it, but you’ve just decided that it won’t work? What is your reasoning?

My reasoning is seeing that first half. Horror show. Against a real crap team.

Listen buddy I'm just getting legit concerned.

Players should adapt to the manager. The manager shouldn't adapt to the players and it is looking like Smith is experimenting with different formations to shoehorn Watkins and Ings into the same team.

I think it's a bad idea. 4-3-3 is what he is known for. What he's had success with. Stick with it. If you have to bench Watkins or Ings then he just have to grow a pair and do it.

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

My reasoning is seeing that first half. Horror show. Against a real crap team.

Listen buddy I'm just getting legit concerned.

Players should adapt to the manager. The manager shouldn't adapt to the players and it is looking like Smith is experimenting with different formations to shoehorn Watkins and Ings into the same team.

I think it's a bad idea. 4-3-3 is what he is known for. What he's had success with. Stick with it. If you have to bench Watkins or Ings then he just have to grow a pair and do it.

So based off of 45 minutes of football in a friendly, we were 2-1 up at half time. Horror show?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I agree with the sentiment, but I think 8th or 9th is a good finish for us. I think we're capable of competing for 6th or 7th if things go perfectly for us, but I think a top half finish is about right. However, our club will not fall apart if we finish 12th or 13th this season.

For me it would be acceptable if the team in 2nd half were better than the first. As the team need time to gel, new players to settle and club adapt to playing without Grealish. If we're clearly a better side come end season our final placing isn't as much of an issue as long as we're top 10

• Like 1

The BBC  

Predicting we finish 8. I’d take that. 

Interesting times at Villa Park with the £100m departure of club talisman Grealish, but the club worked in smart fashion to ensure squad strengthening before signing off on the Manchester City deal. 

I think Villa could be an intriguing prospect this season and, if he can stay fit, England striker Danny Ings, brought in to join Ollie Watkins in attack, could be a masterstroke signing. 

Leon Bailey will add pace and threat out wide while Emiliano Buendia, signed from Norwich City, brings creativity even though he must prove he is Premier League quality. The returning Ashley Young adds vast experience. 

Last season saw an improvement under manager Dean Smith. I expect the same again this season. Outside bet for a cup maybe?

Â