2021/22 expectations

Jareth

I could be completely wrong here but surely the board will expect us to challenge for a european place this coming season? Whether that’s seventh, sixth or higher.

McGinn admitted recently that the players secretly wanted it last season, so I don’t expect season to be any different.

The gap at the top is becoming bigger every season due to the wealth of the elite, so we really need to get amongst it quickly. I honestly think we need to be ruthless now.

We probably need a couple more first team players to make top 6, but that should be the aim. You always need to aim high, but realistically.

We may start slowly as the team gels, but after that I don't want to see any more disjointed, disorganised performances as we have seen over the last few seasons.

Exciting, attacking play which makes us want to watch them, and other teams supporters envious.

I think we will get top 10. Right now 10th. Improvements to the midfield then possibly higher.
Going to be tough in our first 2 games without Buendia (Injuried) Bailey (No pre season or training) and Grealish (You know why). So we basically playing possibly a weaker side then we had last season against Watford without our 2 new star signings 

Edited by messi11

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

I could be completely wrong here but surely the board will expect us to challenge for a european place this coming season? Whether that’s seventh, sixth or higher.

Depends how big their ambition is. So far we haven’t even spent all the Grealish money. If they want Europe, show us don’t talk about it. 

• Like 3

Losing Grealish hurts, but we've gotten stronger at many other positions, we have a deeper squad to deal with both injuries and fatigue (which is why we faded last year), and everyone is a year older and more experienced (older in a good way). As a prediction, I say 8th, plus or minus 2. And to satisfy our need for progress, anything less than 8th will be a disappointment.

Edited by TomC

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Chatting to non Villa fans today and they think we should be challenging top 6. Interesting…

Not surprising objectively. Think there's a lot of unfounded negativity towards our chances on here with the squad as it is. Meet up with a Leeds supporter mate for a drink often and he said they've only signed a left back to replace Alioski on top of making Harrison deal permanent and is confident for the new season. We really should be as well with the new signings we've made plus a fit Sanson coming back 

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Not surprising objectively. Think there's a lot of unfounded negativity towards our chances on here with the squad as it is. Meet up with a Leeds supporter mate for a drink often and he said they've only signed a left back to replace Alioski on top of making Harrison deal permanent and is confident for the new season. We really should be as well with the new signings we've made plus a fit Sanson coming back 

I'm as pessimistic as they come.

So therefore I think we'll win the League. And League Cup. And F.A Cup.

Anything less is a poor season.

I think we'll be 6th or 7th in reality.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Our business has been brilliant and now that people are starting to notice I'm starting to feel a bit anxiety, few early wins hopefully give us a bit of room to breathe

No Jack has scared me most games for about five years.

No CM signing will really rattle me. We feel a bit top heavy. Plenty of time.

7 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

No Jack has scared me most games for about five years.

No CM signing will really rattle me. We feel a bit top heavy. Plenty of time.

Sanson is basically a new CM signing

99th percentile for pressures and successful pressures not good enough?

With signing of Ings we could see him and Watkins in CF/SS diamond with Bailey Traore etc either side and Buendia as an 8 next to McGinn/Sanson etc 

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Sanson is basically a new CM signing

99th percentile for pressures and successful pressures not good enough?

Huh? I'm a huge fan of Sanson thanks. 

Is he fit for the first few games?

Is Luiz available?

Do we know what McGinn is going to turn up?

Can Marv possibly work in basically a two man midfield in any game where we actually want some of the ball?

I'd go four no's at the moment.

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

With signing of Ings we could see him and Watkins in CF/SS diamond with Bailey Traore etc either side and Buendia as an 8 next to McGinn/Sanson etc 

Ings and Watkins will both be starting yes.

Be surprised if Smith doesn't head towards 433 for plenty of the season.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Do we know what McGinn is going to turn up?

Can Marv possibly work in basically a two man midfield in any game where we actually want some of the ball?

Spurs and Chelsea wins end of last season? 

Losing our best player and talisman shouldn't be over looked. While I think our additions have been good and we will go on to be a stronger team overall, there will be some adapting to life after Grealish and the new lads will need time to bed in and gel with each other.

If we can keep key players fit (Martinez, Buendia, Watkins, Minga/Konsa etc) then we have to be aiming for top half of the table. I think it's a bit optimistic to be expecting top 6 at this stage . I mean it's possible but there's lots of variables which would all need to fall into place 

5 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

We probably need a couple more first team players to make top 6, but that should be the aim. You always need to aim high, but realistically.

We may start slowly as the team gels, but after that I don't want to see any more disjointed, disorganised performances as we have seen over the last few seasons.

Exciting, attacking play which makes us want to watch them, and other teams supporters envious.

You don't want to replace more than half the team for a new season. We're not kicking players like Traore and AEG McGinn Nakamba to the curb as much as some would like

If we get one more marquee signing in the middle of the park, then top 7 should be the aim imo. I really hope that's what the club are after, but other than JWP links have been scarce.

As it stands this team and squad is more than capable of finishing top half and that will indeed be the aim (Dean has said that himself in an interview the day after Grealish was sold).

Our aim this season, regardless of losing our talisman, will be to make progress and that will mean exceeding last season's 11th placed finish.

That means Smith will have to prove he can win regularly without Grealish which in previous seasons he has struggled to do.

There will no excuses if he can't, because we now have several £30m players in the forward positions in Ings, Watkins, Buendia and Bailey and all of these players are capable of regularly scoring and assisting and ensuring we win plenty of games.

Â