2021/22 expectations

Jareth

25 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

your avatar 🤣

Yeah feeling a bit cold hearted at the moment after snake boy turned his back on us yesterday and felt Mr Little was too nice so went for something a little more icy as the Night King.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

As it currently stands I think we will be fighting to stay in the division this year or a possible lower table finish.

Talismanic figure and captain has left the club what affect will this have on the rest of the squad?

Signings made but will they have enough time to Gel?

Preseason disrupted with multiple game cancellations Sevilla e.t.c.

We still haven't solved our wheatabix midfield and were still light at CB.

I disagree with some of the above, I don’t think we’ll be fighting to stay in the division and a lower table finish would be surprising.

Losing Jack will obviously have a big impact around the squad but with the likes of Ming’s, Martinez and Young around I think we have enough leaders in the team to keep things together. I think Ming’s should be captain moving forward.

I think we’re very lucky to have signed Buendia so early in the window and that could be a big difference in us starting strong, I’d imagine Ings won’t take long to settle he said himself in his interview he’s used to moving around at this stage in his career. Bailey is a worry in terms of getting settled but I don’t think we’re too dependent on him coming in and making a big impact because of the other two mentioned. 

I agreed this has been a funny preseason and I don’t think anyone knows how we’ll even line up next weekend, hopefully if the club sort a replacement for tomorrow we can get an idea of that. 

Douglas and the olympics is far from ideal and we still have a few weeks of the window to hopefully strengthen in midfield and at the back. But we still have a strong enough team to compete until then.

We’re been very lucky with our first three fixtures and that could be the difference in how things look in a few months time IMO

I'm incredibly excited and think we've got a good chance at a top 8 finish. 

Can't help but think this thread was started so the same poster can turn on Smith if we're not top 6 by the end of September.

Edited by DCJonah

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

There are 9 teams more favourite to go down in a 20 team league. Its basically last season's table. 11th out of 20 is not favourites to go down

By that same logic @alex7783, does that make Leeds among the favourites to win the league?

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

My only expectation is to improve on last season in terms of league position. 

Though, our pre-season has sucked and I feel like this could be a bit of a wacky season due to covid yet again. However, an improvement on 11th is the goal even with the aforementioned issues. 

I totally agree with this. I do have an unsettling feeling around the first couple of games though, less to do with the Loss of Grealish and more to do with the number of incomings (not withstanding the fact that the incomings are IMO outstanding purchases). This is a bit of a rebuild, new players who will take time to go together and get to know each other’s styles, runs etc, probably a bit of a formation change and definitely a change to attacking philosophy (I.e. no more “just give it to Jack” as option A) - all without a decent run of preseason games with the starting team playing together. I hope it comes together quickly, I believe we will be better at the end of the season than we were last season, but I think it could be a bumpy start.

1. Man City

2. Chelsea

3. Man Utd

4. Liverpool

5. Leicester/Arsenal/Tottenham/Aston Villa/Everton

Sadly, I think the CL spots are all reserved.

But the Europa League spot is totally up for grabs. 

Add Leeds and West Ham to the mix.

Really hope we give the cups a real try this season. Even thou the big clubs are likely to take em' it's a realistic-ish way to sneak into Europe.

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

I think the opposite.   Our defense will stay strong, but we'll struggle to score as many as we did last season.

Dunno, Bailey, Buendia and Ings have very impressive goal involvement stats

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Yeah I'm still only in the top half thinking, maybe a top 8 but I'm not convinced we have enough for higher.  Losing Snake-boy is a big blow of quality and we have made some fantastic signings but have we got enough yet? I'm not sure.  Maybe another signing or two with the money we have may push it over the line for me.  We are definitely much stronger squad size but I think there feels like something missing (not Grealish missing but something).

Ehh you never know. A few smart moves in the summer and the Lingard addition in January for West Ham saw them jump from 16th to 6th in a season. 

17 minutes ago, maqroll said:

1. Man City

2. Chelsea

3. Man Utd

4. Liverpool

5. Leicester/Arsenal/Tottenham/Aston Villa/Everton

Sadly, I think the CL spots are all reserved.

But the Europa League spot is totally up for grabs. 

Leicester will be strong, but you’d think we have a decent chance to take that final 6th place spot. 

Need to start strong though, it’s hard to catch up afterwards.

We need to start strong, it's been mentioned on a few threads now but the pressing ability in our team is the best it's ever been.

Ollie, Ings, Buendia, McGinn, Sanson all in the top percentiles for pressing.

1 top class midfield player from a genuine top 6 push this season for me.

60+ points would be a successful season to build on again.

• Like 1

Think we will finish between 8th - 11th, with Jack we made teams double up on him and occupying two of their players in the process, we won't have that luxury anymore. unless we replace him with someone that causes opposition to change their game plan to occupy and nullify one of our players i think we will struggle to push on this season.

2 hours ago, hippo said:

We might emerge stronger. But not this season. Top half at best. I think we will concede to many goals.

Jack's a massive loss - there's no way to sugar coat it.

Buendia will be better.

mark my words.

• Like 2

I’m not going to expect much. I’ll certainly hope for top 6 of course but anything around what we did last year will be fine with me. Lots of new players. Lost Jack, lost Terry although I don’t think it’s as big of a loss as some make it out to be since we brought Shakespeare in last season. I don’t think we will have an issue scoring, instead of one man that people focus on we have a a entire front line for people to worry about. Just need sort out that midfield.

9 minutes ago, Zero7 said:

Think we will finish between 8th - 11th, with Jack we made teams double up on him and occupying two of their players in the process, we won't have that luxury anymore. unless we replace him with someone that causes opposition to change their game plan to occupy and nullify one of our players i think we will struggle to push on this season.

I actually think it could be better for us. Instead of an offense focusing on Jack knowing taking him out of the game meant stopping us, we now have multiple people to focus on. Assuming all incoming transfers live up to the scoring numbers

AEG, Traore, Ollie, Trez, Grealish, Barkley

to

Bailey, Buendia, Ings, Ollie, Traore, AEG

That seems to be a massive improvement.

Based on the teams that finished above us last season; Leeds haven't really added anyone, Everton could struggle, Spurs could struggle if they lose Kane, Arsenal are a wildcard atm but i think we can get above them. West Ham will have Europa League to contend with so could struggle. 

Big chance for us to push on and get top 6

• Like 1

Â