2021/22 expectations

Jareth

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

so we're among the favourites to go down but also among the favourites for top 6? and here's me thinking i understood gambling.........

Well 7-1 is actually 11th favourite for a top 6 finish. Odds are just shit since bookies go so badly burnt by Leicester. 

4 hours ago, alex7783 said:

In the grand scheme of the PL any odds that put you in the bottom 8-10 makes you amongst the favourites - we are 9-1 (7-1 on many sites) and Leeds are 12-1! So kind of true I’m afraid. People thinking we are going to pushing for Europe are kidding themselves.  We are in another ‘transition’ phase - this year we’ve lost JG and will therefore finish bottom half. As a result we will then lose; Mings, Martinez, Watkins, Buendia but make a nice profit and have to hope the kids keep us up in 2-3 years time before resetting and trying again…

Well, it’s a good job football is played on grass and not in your mind.

6 hours ago, alex7783 said:

In the grand scheme of the PL any odds that put you in the bottom 8-10 makes you amongst the favourites - we are 9-1 (7-1 on many sites) and Leeds are 12-1! So kind of true I’m afraid. People thinking we are going to pushing for Europe are kidding themselves.  We are in another ‘transition’ phase - this year we’ve lost JG and will therefore finish bottom half. As a result we will then lose; Mings, Martinez, Watkins, Buendia but make a nice profit and have to hope the kids keep us up in 2-3 years time before resetting and trying again…

There are 9 teams more favourite to go down in a 20 team league. Its basically last season's table. 11th out of 20 is not favourites to go down

I don’t think Grealish materially effects where we finish given the signings we have made to replace him. I think we will probably be around the top 10. I think anything less than 8th and people will be calling for Smith’s head. 

42 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I think anything less than 8th and people will be calling for Smith’s head. 

That would be intensely stupid.

Over 60 pts would be a good target for us I think, which probably would be 8th or above, but anyone calling for Smith's head would be a bit much. Unless the wheels totally falls off and the players donìt want to play for him anymore. I really can't see that happening though to be honest.

• Like 1

I am really looking forward for this season to start, we are the premier league wildcard this season! I can see us getting top 6 and Europe, but I can also see us failing and be in a relegation scrap, like we showed in our without grealish form last season.

I think it is quite evident from our signings that Smith wants to set us up differently, every single player we have bought (except maybe Bailey?) is strong in their pressing game, a skill that our side has lacked these past few seasons, denying us the opportunity to control games. We have a lot of dribblers in our team, which is brilliant in counter attacks, but I see us retaining possession becoming an issue this season. 

I believe that it is very likely that Dean Smith reverts back to his favored 4-3-3 formation, with a strongest line up being something like

Martinez

Cash - Konsa - Mings - Targett

Luiz

Sanson - McGinn

Bailey - Watkins - Buendia

This team is very liverpool'ish, 2 midfielders and three attackers that will run all day and hound the opposition. The best thing about our new signings is that we have options, you could easily take a midfielder out of the team and bring on Ings or Traore, for the first time, we get to see Dean Smith have an opportunity to change stuff tactically throughout the season and games.

Very exciting season coming up, I have no idea what to except but am totally ready for the ride !!

• Like 1

Top half is minimum I think now. We really don't have to rush though. It's not like missing out on Europe destroys the team. We can continue to build over the next few years whilst our kids progress and develop. 

If we get a midfielder in to get a bit more steel there we will be top 8 at least and should even challenge for top six.

Im getting more and more excited for the season. We’ll be a much more rounded team. Bring it on.

11 hours ago, alex7783 said:

I think we are all underestimating the impact the loss of JG will have on the team. I think we will really struggle - hopefully won’t go down but if you look at our form last season without him we won’t be far away. Bookies agree and we are now amongst the favourites to go down - Leeds more favoured to stay up…

Hi Alex, say hello to your Dad from us 😉 we should finish over Newcastle 

Top six when 2022 starts.

Rollercoaster ride from there, expecting us to be more competitive and stable now, without any single players to hurt us seriously by being out injured.

42 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Still love how many good sides we beat last year, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spuds… can’t wait to see what this year brings! Come on Villa!

We beat 7 of the teams that finished above us and battered West Ham at Olympic stadium 

I think the majority of teams in the league are weaker than before, with Manchester blues, Manchester reds and Chelski stronger (especially if lukaku signs).  They will take more points off the bottom 17 teams, and we have improved I my opinion

I think we've got a great chance of getting 6th behind the usual suspects and Leicester.

• Like 1

It's going to be a long season with many bumps and thrills. Strap yourself in for the ride of your lives!  Lots of bedding in to do with the new players.

Let's not get over-upset when we lose 3 in a row (which i'm sure we will at some point) and not think we are the best in the world when we win 3 in a row.

Our ambitious owners will definitely want Europe this year. If we are serious about top 6, we need to get decent points on the board quickly against the easier teams.  

First 3 games are Watford, Newcastle and Brentford.

So probably looking for a minimum of 6 points from these 3 games, but in theory 9 points should be achievable. 

Lets go!!

Â