2021/22 expectations

Jareth

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I do agree, since Gerrard came in I have lost a lot of desire to watch Villa. It feels empty. 

Absolute no excitement and his boring football actually doesn't help

Anyone even hinting they want him gone gets grief 

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Mainly because it's absurd that people want a manager sacked after 5 months.

How long did Sherwood get from fans or McLeish.

I am not saying sack him but the manager has shown nothing in 5 months to have blind faith. As a pundit said the other day he took 3 years to shape Rangers in a 2 horse league 

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I am not saying sack him but the manager has shown nothing in 5 months to have blind faith. As a pundit said the other day he took 3 years to shape Rangers in a 2 horse league 

Sherwood got the end of the 2014/15 season and the start of the 2015/16 season, McLeish got a full season.

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Sherwood got the end of the 2014/15 season and the start of the 2015/16 season, McLeish got a full season.

From fans

People wanted Sherwood gone after the cup final and McLeish had about 6 weeks before people wanted him gone

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

From fans

People wanted Sherwood gone after the cup final and McLeish had about 6 weeks before people wanted him gone

We were in relegation battles those seasons though.

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

We were in relegation battles those seasons though.

We also didn't have a squad like now. People gave Lambert a chance as saw some progress even if was shit

Has Gerrard done more with Coutinho and Digne plus the players we had

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

We also didn't have a squad like now. People gave Lambert a chance as saw some progress even if was shit

Has Gerrard done more with Coutinho and Digne plus the players we had

Whats his ratio compared to smiths? Surely that answers that?

On 02/04/2022 at 18:49, MaVilla said:

the first half of last season was a good season tbh, the last half was turgid, and it continued to be turgid for the first 11 games of this season.

Gerrard tbh, and im not trying to defend him, as we have been very poor still at times, but he has improved us compared to the previous 12 months performances, when Smith was sacked we had less points than at the same in our near relegation year.

The data:

2020/21: Game 1 to 17 (1.7 PPG) - Smith

2020/21: Game 18 to 38 (1.2 PPG) - Smith

2021/22 : Game 1 to 11 (0.9 PPG) - Smith

thats 31 games where we averaged at most 1.2 PPG, and as low as 0.9 PPG, thats almost the equivalent of an entire season.

2021/22 : Game 12 to 28 (1.4 PPG) - Gerrard

image.png.fc9c3a24538df97186d02adb931ab59e.png

Hopefully Gerrard will have a large war chest this summer, and tbh, i doubt he would have joined if he wasnt promised that, i just hope we actually spend well this summer, as for some good signings in the last 3 years, we have spent 350m and still have players who a) cant pass the ball, or b) are weak as tissue paper and lack any form of aggression.

Now that is the centre of the Worry.

Buying well this summer ( meaning players who make a significant impact to our results)...is imperative.

On 04/04/2022 at 01:41, paul514 said:

Anyone even hinting they want him gone gets grief 

perhaps because they didn't want him in the first place, and justifying their original call....it usually happens after defeats....so it fly's in the face of good football debate...it becomes personal.

Maybe, because he stuffed the arse out us, every time he come to Villa Park and some can't see past that....but now he is on our side, albeit not on the pitch, sadly.

Edited by TRO

38 minutes ago, TRO said:

perhaps because they didn't want him in the first place, and justifying their original call....it usually happens after defeats....so it fly's in the face of good football debate...it becomes personal.

Maybe, because he stuffed the arse out us, every time he come to Villa Park and some can't see past that....but now he is on our side, albeit not on the pitch, sadly.

Why would anybody care what he did as a player against us? Why is the default response to anybody questioning whether we’re improving under Gerrard to say “you never wanted him in the first place”?

Questioning a manager after three poor defeats in a row (with more than likely another couple on the way) is pretty natural. The fact that the football is pretty dull to watch doesn’t help. There’s valid reasons to doubt whether we should be handing Gerrard £100m plus in the summer. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Why would anybody care what he did as a player against us? Why is the default response to anybody questioning whether we’re improving under Gerrard to say “you never wanted him in the first place”?

Questioning a manager after three poor defeats in a row (with more than likely another couple on the way) is pretty natural. The fact that the football is pretty dull to watch doesn’t help. There’s valid reasons to doubt whether we should be handing Gerrard £100m plus in the summer. 

Why would they, precisely?.....but equally,why would anyone not give him time after19 games?....and why would the praise not be balanced when we won 3 before hand, with exciting football to boot.

Why was Dean Smith still backed and ably defended, after 2 wins in 12, before the 10 game winning run......it begs the question doesn't it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Why would they, precisely?.....but equally,why would anyone not give him time after19 games?....and why would the praise not be balanced when we won 3 before hand, with exciting football to boot.

Why was Dean Smith still backed and ably defended, after 2 wins in 12, before the 10 game winning run......it begs the question doesn't it?

The football is crap
We aren't getting better
He isn't utilising our players correctly
We don't look well coached
We don't look motivated.
He wants a bunch of new players when he hasn't got a tune out the current lot.

He has given us NOTHING in a positive direction since his appointment.

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Dean Smith bashing still. Embarrassing after all these years of defending Bruce and now Gerrard. Both play such dull football but had big names 

16 hours ago, paul514 said:

The football is crap
We aren't getting better
He isn't utilising our players correctly
We don't look well coached
We don't look motivated.
He wants a bunch of new players when he hasn't got a tune out the current lot.

He has given us NOTHING in a positive direction since his appointment.

Thats a pretty jaundiced view, of a team that is WIP.

Firstly, he took over team that came off a 5 match losing streak and been mauled by a newly promoted team...It lost 7 games from 11.....It was a baptism of fire.

• The football against Southhampton and Leeds was very good indeed.....even showing the thing, I moan about ,pressing and being first to the ball....they did it in those games, so hows that down to coaching.....Analogy: Its like saying  the training is no good for a salesmen who has sold 50 widgets one month and 5 the next.
  • He has no choice, all the players we have in midfiled are samey, there is minimal variation, to address any REAL change, its just changing faces,for the sake of it, not changing attributes/outlooks.
  • Our main issues, will give that impression......I have seen it in the past, holes in the team,left unchecked,  eventually affect everyone, and that is whats happened IMO
  • we certainly looked motivated against the aforementioned teams.....but we are now drifting in to consistency territiory......and no we are not consistent....mid table teams rarely are.
  • He hasn't got a tune out of the current lot,consistently,  has already been mentioned....its balance.....as an example put Rice and phillips in our team and it would transform it, and the players we are moaning about, then played in their righful positions, would lift their game. The issues we have, can't be swept under the table, by a new manager and 2 international class footballers, that have bare minimal impact on where the problems lie.

I think he has changed our profile and outlook, our ambition while in its infancy, is now taken seriously.....but he hasn't got a magic Wand, those that think he had, are most likely to be unimpressed.....and in the time alotted and money spent, Pep wouldn't change much either, why isn't Jack better under Pep? than he was with us.

Steven Gerrard, needs the time and funds to shape his OWN squad and then we can reasonably assess him....but 19 games is a joke to form hard and fast opinions.....it took better managers than him time.

At present we are falling in to the trap of formulating firm opinions on the back of a batch of results, as frustrating as those results pattern is, it is fool hardy to be tempted in to doing it.

Neither camps know for sure, how his tenure with us will pan out......but he has to be given time to make a fair impact on the work required, to re shape the squad.

Ps I have one reservation only, that concerns me....and that is, if we bring the right players in. The failure to bring in personnel to fill a crucial position in a football team, for so long has left me in real doubt, about our recruitment strategy....I am left staggered so much debate and scrutiny has manifested itself, over what other teams see as an essential part of their team.....and we incontrast have over looked it with naivety.....I am not blaming Gerrard on this by the way.

On 05/04/2022 at 11:10, Zatman said:

I always think the achievement in Scotland is seriously understated in takes like this. Yes it’s a two horse race here but what was expected of Gerrard? To come in and one season and transform rangers from a team who finished third two seasons in a row to automatically challenging Celtic? He didn’t just shape them they completely dominated the league in an unbeaten season and had some very good europa league results. And left them in a much better place than when he took over. Van bronchorst I’m sure a few people said on here would have been a better option for us, it will be interesting to see how he gets on given he’s now 6 points behind Celtic and lost both games they’ve played against them. We’ve had some good results in the small time Gerrards been here, some very questionable performances but that’s been typical of this squad for 2+ seasons now. The three game streak we had last month and the other wins we’ve had are enough to allow him some time. I don’t think they’re blind faith. 

16 hours ago, Zatman said:

Dean Smith bashing still. Embarrassing after all these years of defending Bruce and now Gerrard. Both play such dull football but had big names 

We wern't exactly entertaining under Smith this season. 

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

We wern't exactly entertaining under Smith this season. 

We had an injury hit squad for most of it, us giving Chelsea a game with our youngsters in the cup was probably our best performance of the season 

Â