2021/22 expectations

Jareth

On 04/08/2021 at 20:11, Keyblade said:

We expecting to sell someone? Right now we have:

Douglas - will be unavailable for a good 3-6 weeks after olympics duty.

McGinn - starting

Nakamba - squad player

Sanson - between squad and starting

Chukemwueka - cup games and cameos

Ramsey - loan

Buendia - starter

Def leaves room for one more (at least) starter

7 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Watford

Newcastle

Brentford

Ā 

Can we get 6-9 points, or will the bedding in off new players mean it takes us time to get up to speed?

getting a good start is important IMO. we should be taking 6 points minumum from those 3

46 minutes ago, Adman said:

I think the majority of teams in the league are weaker than before, with Manchester blues, Manchester redsĀ and Chelski stronger (especially if lukaku signs).Ā  TheyĀ will take more points off the bottom 17 teams, and we have improved I my opinion

I think we've got a great chance of getting 6th behind the usual suspects and Leicester.

Spot on and do-able imo.

My only other wish for the season is do Citeh at our place,Ā while the Holte sings ā€œSigned Lionel Messi! You shouldā€™ve signed Lionel Messi!ā€Ā 

Oh, and the now traditional double over Arsenal.Ā 

Edited by Awol

I think the league can be put into 'sections'.

1. City, united, chelsea and plop - top 4 is untouchable.

2. Spuds, arse, leicester, leeds, west ham, everton - position 5 -Ā 10.

3. Palace, southampton, wolves. Pos 11- 14

4.Ā newcastle, brentford, watford, norwich,Ā burnley, brighton - relegation fight, position 15 - 20

I would expect villa in section 2.

With our current squad and strengthening i think we have a better squad than west ham, everton and leeds.Ā 

We need to be battling with spuds, arse and leicester. Are we better than those? Who knows?

Ā 

• Like 1

My only expectation is to improve on last season in terms of league position.Ā 

Though, our pre-season has sucked and I feel like this could be a bit of a wacky season due to covid yet again. However, an improvement on 11th is the goal even with the aforementioned issues.Ā 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

We might emerge stronger. But not this season. Top half at best. I think we will concede to many goals.

Jack's a massive loss - there's no way to sugar coat it.

I think the opposite.Ā  Ā Our defense will stay strong, but we'll struggle to score as many as we did last season.

31 minutes ago, ismail-villa said:

Need to have a good start just like last season, then onwards from there.Ā 

And hopefully not use the same 11 players every week.

Need to keep them fresh so they don't burn out like last season.

Got the squad and plenty of options now.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, hippo said:

We might emerge stronger. But not this season. Top half at best. I think we will concede to many goals.

Jack's a massive loss - there's no way to sugar coat it.

Yeah I'm still only in the top half thinking, maybe a top 8 but I'm not convincedĀ we have enough for higher.Ā  Losing Snake-boy is a big blow of quality and we have made some fantastic signings but have we got enough yet? I'm not sure.Ā  Maybe another signing or two with the money we have may push it over the line for me.Ā  We are definitely much stronger squad size but I think there feels like something missing (not Grealish missing but something).

Got to be aiming for at least 8th.Ā  Thinking about my expectations, has made realise how much a better place we're in without grealish...

Were he still here, I'd have us fighting for top 6Ā ifĀ he stayed fitĀ all seasonĀ , but more likelyĀ bottom half as I expect he'd beĀ injured for a significant chunk of it given how we hadĀ to use him.Ā 

Now he's gone, I just see us as top 8 regardless. We have cover options that don't significantly weaken us,Ā we have proven quality in Ings and Buendia, and we have the unknown factor in Bailey.

I'd like better options in our double pivot, but think Sanson will step up a gear and they'll all look better anyway for having Ings and Buendia in front of them. They're also all a year closer to their prime with extra experience in the bank. Joys of having a young team.

Lots to be positive about!

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah I'm still only in the top half thinking, maybe a top 8 but I'm not convincedĀ we have enough for higher.Ā  Losing Snake-boy is a big blow of quality and we have made some fantastic signings but have we got enough yet? I'm not sure.Ā  Maybe another signing or two with the money we have may push it over the line for me.Ā  We are definitely much stronger squad size but I think there feels like something missing (not Grealish missing but something).

your avatarĀ šŸ¤£

Weirdly, Iā€™m now expecting a good run at breaking into the top 6. Ā Ā 

We have a more balanced team, more experienced, we have FFP leeway to address weak spots and can add in January if the target isnā€™t available now.

My only issue is time taken to gel all these new players and new tactics without Grealish. Ā Ā 

Ā 

Arsenal will be stronger, Spurs might be weaker, West Ham might be weaker due to playing in Europe, Leeds might be weaker (second season syndrome? Sorry Villalad21), Everton might implode when Benitez loses 2 matches in a row.

As it currently stands I think we will be fighting to stay in the division this year or a possible lower table finish.

Talismanic figure and captainĀ has left the club what affect will this have on the rest of the squad?

Signings made but will they have enough time to Gel?

Preseason disrupted with multiple game cancellationsĀ Sevilla e.t.c.

We still haven't solved our wheatabix midfield and were still light at CB.

Ā 

Edited by AshVilla
  • Confused 2

Find it hard to gauge what to expect this season. On paper Villa look good and I expect will look even better come the end of the window, but there are mitigating factors that'll possibly be a hindrance to manage initially. Between Grealish leaving and those brought in to replace his presence needing to settle whilst not really having a proper pre-season to do so you can imagine a slow start, though hopefully that'll be aided by the first few games being relatively kind.

Think I said previously in this thread that it makes more sense to go off points total rather than place in the table, as aside from your own games you can't control what other teams are doing. Last season we were unlucky in the sense that we amassed a tally that would have seen a top half finish in almost every season but that one. I think if Smith can settle on the idea of his best side early-ish into the season then even improving on last season's total by around 5-8 points isn't unreasonable which would have you right up there in the European conversation. Personally I'm willing to be patient and see what happens though.

Edited by Indigo

Ɨ
Ɨ
Ƃ