2021/22 expectations

Jareth

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

I think we’ll have a rough patch early in the season as Smith gets used to his new options. And then Smith will find a formula that works, and we’ll go on a very good run of results. Would be happy with a top 8 finish.

I think we might start like a house on fire. It will be the grim winter months which may be tough for us.

I expect a top 8 finish with the signings we have made, and any future ones coming in. I think we have a better squad than Arsenal, Leeds, Everton, West Ham and I would fancy us to beat Spurs as well. Of course that is optimistic, but why not, we having a very big incentive to prove we can make Europe this season.

As it stands I think we've got a better team than we had last season, but that's balanced out by the fact that the new players will need time to gel, so I don't necessarily think we will do better but it should be the aim and I'm sure it is.

I wasn’t sure what to put this so I’ll just post it here. We all love the players but Jack was always the main man. He’d get the attention, he’d get the biggest cheers, he’d sell all the shirts etc. 

Now he’s gone what a chance this is to show our appreciation to every Aston Villa player. Players that are proud to wear the shirt. Everyone one of them will now be equally cheered on.  Kids will pick other players to be their heroes. They all now have a chance to show how important they are to the club! Not just bit part roles in the shadow of Jack.

After a year away the atmosphere is going to be amazing. Let’s make Villa Park a fortress again! 

edit: top 8 and a good cup run.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Thanks 1

I think we are all underestimating the impact the loss of JG will have on the team. I think we will really struggle - hopefully won’t go down but if you look at our form last season without him we won’t be far away. Bookies agree and we are now amongst the favourites to go down - Leeds more favoured to stay up…

• Haha 1

Progress is all that matters. Folk will say things like "well if we don't progress fast enough this or that will happen" and they may be right, it's difficult to predict.

But if we keep progressing each season, or at least retain some kind of momentum, inevitably the only thing that can stop us is being the best club in the country, then Europe.

Until then, we've an awful lot of space ahead of us to run into. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, alex7783 said:

I think we are all underestimating the impact the loss of JG will have on the team. I think we will really struggle - hopefully won’t go down but if you look at our form last season without him we won’t be far away. Bookies agree and we are now amongst the favourites to go down - Leeds more favoured to stay up…

I get your concern about morale, however equating our form without him in the past, to "relegation form struggles/worries " in this up coming season, makes it seem as if the 3 TOP quality attackers we've signed don't exist.

Or that we're finished in the market.

I'm also confused about what  " bookies " have us as favourites to go down, I've seen most pundits say we'll be stronger, based on the business we've been doing.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, alex7783 said:

This is not true - https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/relegation

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, alex7783 said:

In the grand scheme of the PL any odds that put you in the bottom 8-10 makes you amongst the favourites - we are 9-1 (7-1 on many sites) and Leeds are 12-1! So kind of true I’m afraid. People thinking we are going to pushing for Europe are kidding themselves.  We are in another ‘transition’ phase - this year we’ve lost JG and will therefore finish bottom half. As a result we will then lose; Mings, Martinez, Watkins, Buendia but make a nice profit and have to hope the kids keep us up in 2-3 years time before resetting and trying again…

Well we are 7-1 to finish top 6. 

• Thanks 1

5-10 points on average a season would be excellent each season going forward. Progress is not always a straight line and this is probably not the last time a Big 6 club poaches one of our talented footballers. 

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Well we are 7-1 to finish top 6. 

so we're among the favourites to go down but also among the favourites for top 6? and here's me thinking i understood gambling.........

Â