Breakaway League

Jareth

Whatever the punishment , it should benefit the 14 clubs who followed the league rules and punish the 6 who broke them. If they get away with it this time they will simply prepare better next time.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

There's no way this was a distraction bluff - they didn't need one, the changes to the Champions league were already settled and they definitely didn't need the embarrassment, the share price collapses and the resignations. They f***ed up.

In terms of punishments, I'm in favour of this being about individuals - we do need the clubs, the league is better with them in it and the fans, players and coaching staffs at these clubs didn't do this, it's not on them. I wouldn't be looking at points deductions or bans.

The individuals though, we should go after hard; Agnelli and Woodward have resigned - they and the other CEO's should all be banned from footballing activities for life. The CEO's are one thing, the owners another - the clubs involved should have restrictions placed on them until they are sold into new ownership, their voting rights should be suspended and they should be removed from any committees on which they sit, solidarity payments should be held in trust for the new owners.

The war is over, but it's more important that we win the peace.

It's vital that this starts a process of change, one that includes fans, governments, UEFA, FIFA, the PFA, the ECA and the Leagues - we need to make sure that there is never again so much power concentrated in the hands of such a small group of clubs. To do that, it's vital we find ways to financially enable clubs like Ajax, Roma, Lazio, Lyon, Everton and ourselves us so that the playing field becomes more even and the power is spread into a wider group of hands, and in doing that we also need to put in place regulations that help all clubs reduce their total spending. I'd like to see stronger legislation, and a more democratic management of leagues and competitions - I'd like to see the Premier League voting extended to any club that has been in the league in the last five years - so that for example, Norwich, Bournemouth and Watford could still vote - that reduces the influence of small groups by creating a larger voting circle - I'd like to see the same principle attached to European competition, so that if  you want to change the Champions League, then three quarters of the teams that have competed in it over the last three years need to agree with you and it then needs to be ratified by UEFA.

I'd like to see an acceptance that even the biggest clubs will sometimes need to tighten their belts and take a few years out from the very top of the tree, that it's not completely impossible that Real Madrid don't win the Champions League for ten years while they settle their debt and build again. I'd like to see a form of FFP that takes debt as it's major indicator of a clubs health, and that restricts the spending that clubs can do based not just on their top line, but on what they owe - so that we never again get into a position where a club has so much debt that they are desperate enough to bring down the whole game in order to service it - if Barcelona are a billion pounds in debt, they shouldn't be allowed to spend until that debt is reduced and if that means they finish mid-table in Spain for a couple of years, so be it.

We need to cut off the head of this snake, remove these toxic individuals from the game, then slowly restructure so that it's a healthier place to be, with better competition that's better for football, all of football, not just a dozen brands. I know that sounds impossible, but as things stand, the debts and the demands of these clubs are like rust and they will creep back and keep creeping back until we treat them. 

Time for a proper change.

Very well said.

At the risk of sounding like I'm pissing in your pocket - could what you have written here be better published? Open letter type thing. Wider audience.

Why? Because you've driven at the source of the problem and I think that message is lost in all the brouhaha against the ESL and the "English 6".

• Like 1

If UEFA, FIFA, and the FA are serious about taking the game forward, then they must deal with the forces that seek to cause it harm.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's vital that this starts a process of change, one that includes fans, governments, UEFA, FIFA, the PFA, the ECA and the Leagues - we need to make sure that there is never again so much power concentrated in the hands of such a small group of clubs. To do that, it's vital we find ways to financially enable clubs like Ajax, Roma, Lazio, Lyon, Everton, ourselves and many others so that the playing field becomes more even and the power is spread into a wider group of hands

No Way Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There won’t be a meaningful punishment. The clubs are too important for the revenue of the leagues they are in. 

Having said that, handing them all a 15 point points deduction for next season would make the season quite a spectacle.

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Punishment for what though? They didn't try and leave the PL

UEFA is different but the SL plans had the PL being business as normal, that's part of why it collapsed, the PL said not a **** chance 

They entered an in sanctioned competition without permission of the premier league. That’s against the rules and therefore they can be punished for it.

As has been said the best action is to force change at the respective clubs. Ban the execs from football related activity and look at ways the owners can be forced out. Dilute the influence of these top clubs. 

• Like 2

Sadly I think the authorities are going to act like someone who has been cheated on. We all secretly know that if they could they would have gone off and dumped us, but then they realised that they would be homeless and everyone would hate them so we've welcomed them back with open arms because we can't imagine life without them. We all know that at some point they will try it on again, but for some reason we feel thankful for them just being with us.

• Like 1

Arsenal and spurs staying in pl is punishment enough for them. Both sides are on the decline (arsenal have been for awhile spurs will follow now i reckon as i can see kane leaving soon)

I do want punishments but i cant see it being implemented 

8 hours ago, smg said:

Just seen a Chelsea fan on bbc news saying they have saved english football !!! They should be relegated along with the rest. 

Yeah but West Ham won England the World Cup.... it won’t be the last time we hear this from Chelsea fans 🤫

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

There won’t be a meaningful punishment. The clubs are too important for the revenue of the leagues they are in. 

Having said that, handing them all a 15 point points deduction for next season would make the season quite a spectacle.

15 points isn't remotely enough. 30 points, several seasons of being banned from the CL and you'd get closer.

Only way to stop this shit from happening again is not only to make changes, but punish them where it hurts. That's their money.

Not sure what kind of penalty the PL could hand out but it would be fun if UEFA banned these clubs for 2-3 seasons. 

Partly because they deserve it and it would hurt their pockets. But also because it would wreck havoc on their coefficient points they are to use as their get into to CL free cards.

I love how some fans were threatening to stop supporting their clubs and move allegiances to someone else because of the disgusting behaviour from their clubs, yet now that they’ve pulled out it’s all “yeah, but we shouldn’t be punished for it because it’s not really our fault”.

Do Bury fans think that their club should not have had to face the consequences of the financial mismanagement of their owners because it wasn’t the fans or players fault?

Classic hypocritical  “big club” mentality from certain fans too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

Not sure what kind of penalty the PL could hand out but it would be fun if UEFA banned these clubs for 2-3 seasons. 

Partly because they deserve it and it would hurt their pockets. But also because it would wreck havoc on their coefficient points they are to use as their get into to CL free cards.

It would put a couple of them in the shit financially too, no CL for a couple of years for barca would probably mean a fire sale, no stadium improvements, rip it up and start again

Which if they weren't so blinkered and greedy is actually what they need

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

There won’t be a meaningful punishment.

All the real teams and fans in the country should find a way collectively to punish them as the authorities wont do it.

I don't know how but anything is possible now.  Fan power killed a 4 Billion pound project into touch.

Â