Breakaway League

Jareth

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

The efl would oppose that big time. If tickets were cheaper AND 3pm kick offs  are broadcast domestically, football league attendances would drop off and clubs would go out of business. A Bury would happen every season.

It's just that it's a rule from the 1960s that is applied to the modern world - it's got to change in some way. Why not let this be a way to allow funds to flow down the pyramid more fairly? i.e. the EFL take a cut from the broadcasts, grounds are full cos cheap adding to the quality of the TV product, fans and 'non legacy' fans get access in a modern way and increase uptake. Of course in this version of it the likes of the big 6 have been castrated and prevented from trying to steal the money - that would need to come first. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jareth said:

There are simpler ways of doing it - such as giving the FA power over all football that is played in the UK's borders. 

ye, cus all these footballing bodies are a competent bunch.......

I see your point, but thats like handing power from a mad emperor to a headless chicken.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sne said:

"The soccer pyramid" :puke:

These knobs keep bleating about the pyramid but not one has explained how it benefits the pyramid.

It's like in ride along when everyone knows fishburne is Omar Kevin Hart says "I'm Omar".

Shut up Gazidis the game's up.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

still absolutely gutted about this. this falling down on their own terms is the worst thing that could have happened. the champions league has been adjusted to suit these teams anyway...they have come out of this with more power than they had before

this was an opportunity to hit the reset button and make the PL more competitive. things will just revert to type.

neville et al will quickly forget about it and move on, and next season we'll be back to all utd, liverpool and city games being shown on tv, purring over how wonderful their football is. slating any player that doesn't sign for them for lack of ambition.

UEFA are already kissing their backsides for doing the right thing

Yeh, I'm with you on this.
I'm actually disappointed it hasn't happened now. It was the perfect opportunity for football to almost start again. 

The worst thing about it now is they won't be punished and nothing will change. Shame. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

As I understand it the 50+1 rule just won't work. There's no way fans could raise 51% of the value of a club

That was my feeling as well. Works when clubs are small enough to afford.

1 minute ago, R.Bear said:

The amount of back patting going on is cringeworthy. Its the equivalent of a burglar stealing jewellery from your house, bringing it back 2 days later and then opening a bottle of champagne to celebrate.

There is nothing to celebrate here. Football is still a complete mess run by idiots and scumbags, just as it was 3 days ago.

Yep. This will all happen again some time as well.

If there is one positive to come from this it is to highlight the urgent need for financial reform of the whole league structure. There needs to be fair and equitable distribution of broadcast rights, a rethink of the broadcast system itself, and player salary caps.

• Like 1

John Henry's grovelling apology is amazing. He says "I apologise for the mistake I have made" like it was distasteful tweet or something and not a coup of the entire football structure.

No doubt their fans will lap it up though.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, sne said:

"The soccer pyramid" :puke:

Funny thing is this is Milan best season in a decade, has been a terrible era for them and now they think they are Kings of Europe again

55 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

As I understand it the 50+1 rule just won't work. There's no way fans could raise 51% of the value of a club

In theory, I don't think the fans need to have 50%+1 ownership of the equity of the club to be given a controlling stake in certain matters.

I liked the comparison someone made to listed buildings yesterday. These words removed can own it, but there should be a whole host of matters that are within the remit of a vote of a large number of fans. 

1 hour ago, Silent_Bob said:

I have missed about 40 pages, and I suppose it has already been said.

But this is not the end of it. This is a truce until the next time. 

I have said repeatedly throughout this that the power lies in domestic football. This Super League couldn't have happened if they were kicked out of domestic football, because their dominance their domestic leagues is what gives them credibilty and earns them the right to call themselves Champions. Without that they are just clubs playing in another league and the market will decide if they will follow a plastic Super League or a genuine competition with history and traditions. 

This was a horrible attempt of a coup. But fortunatly it was executed so poorly that it will probably be a text book example of how not to do things.

They didn't announce it, it was leaked and UEFA was the one informing the world. Which gave them the home ground advantage. They set the rules for the discussion.

PR wise it was horrible. After the initial announcement, they just said nothing. They let Perez try to explain it, and that was it. They didn't defend it, they didn't say anything. They just sat there and watched as the media and fans movement opposing this just grew and grew. Which tells you that mainstream media still has a thing or two to say. 

But they can come back. Not right now, but in some time. Get more positive media coverage, improve their PR a little. And it might not be the same opposition the next time around.

And beware the rule of reciprocity. We don't owe them anything for being greedy bastards that only called the retreat because they didn't have any other choice. 

The only thing that can prevent this form happening again is that being kicked out of domestic football is a genuine treath. Because they will come back. Not in the same shape or form, but they will be back.

Yep, they SAID it would assist the football pyramid but gave absolutely zero explanation about HOW.  The reason for that was clearly because they had no plans to help it at all, or if they did they were so utterly weak that no one would have bought it.

I think a cumulative 100 point deduction for all six of them would be brilliant.

Whatever negative points tally they have at the end of the season gets carried forward.

3 of them survive with a small negative total into the next season and three get relegated to the championship with a slightly larger negative points total.

Would punish them and it would make the next two seasons of the premier league and the next season of the championship really entertaining. 

Do it!!!

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

ECA are meeting today, could be interesting 

Interesting in exactly how they phrase the full no punishment welcome back?

Â