Breakaway League

Jareth

The more i think it about. The more I think that this is easily 10x worse than Birmingham or Sheffield Wednesday spending more money than they were supposed to. Who were deducted 10ish points.

So...  What's a fair punishment for these teams? 100 point deduction next season and let them fight it out for who deserves to stay in the league. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

I think there are positives to take out of this. I'd imagine these 6 clubs expected a bit of a backlash but not to anything like the level it has generated. It shows the power, certainly in this country, doesn't have to lie with them. The power is with the fans and the league/leagues as a collective. 

For too long football has pandered to these big clubs for fear they may piss off or in some misguided belief without them football can't survive. The opposite has been shown to be true though. They need the rest of the clubs, that the fans in this country matter more than those thousands of miles away and that managers, players and supporters all value what we have.

Those outside of this so called top 6 should gain strength from this and ensure no more power grabs take place. In fact they should take advantage and now ensure the opposite ensues.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

Barca are already in the shits, this was their way of getting out. Messi is reportedly on wages of over 150k a week, he'll be the first to go.

The heroes in this? The fans, Zlatan, Rashford, Henderson (from what I hear he pulled Liverpool's cronies aside and had a go) and the wider footballing world. It's time for the German model now. Also for our own club, billionaires are fickle people.

Zlatan 😂😂😂😂 he did **** all except somebody posted a fake quote with his name on it

Why are City and Chelsea getting getting hailed for quitting this abomination? Even see some comments saying they've saved football... FFS, football is not saved, its fighting a desperate fight to no completely loose it core values to money and corporate interests. The ESL was just the last battle, but the war has been going for a long time and the overall trend is (still!) going in the wrong direction. The only thing Chelsea and City saved was the last fractional part of the delusioned idea that they deeply care about anything else than money.

Journalist could've just wrote: Greed saves football! By greed itself realising that the thing it wanted to do to get richer might end up making it poorer, greed reverts to the thing that already makes it rich. Day saved 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

The more i think it about. The more I think that this is easily 10x worse than Birmingham or Sheffield Wednesday spending more money than they were supposed to. 

So...  What's a fair punishment for these teams? 100 point deduction next season and let them fight it out for who deserves to stay in the league. 

UEFA/FIFA should ban them from their competitions for a season or 3 but domestically in England I'm not sure what can be done legally. Should be something that hurts the owners so fines, if possible them personally but that wont be possible sadly.

This is  not the end of the matter but the start of a massive power play.

Direct streaming owned by the clubs is probably what they really want and are comfortable if that is in the existing traditional structures if they can force it through and not have mass legacy fan boycotts, which they probably won't. I suspect the scab 6 supporters would be happy as it was reinforce their dominant positions but still have a nominal competitive veneer to it.

Subscription based channels like Sky and BT must have been badly shaken by this botched coup and if it was done properly they would have been royally screwed.

Within five years they will attempt something like this again but done more fluffily and not in the tone deaf way like this time. They will probably hire  professional PR people and keep quiet themselves. And lock Perez in a hotel room.

Edited by The Fun Factory

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

This is  not the end of the matter but the start of a massive power play.

Direct streaming owned by the clubs is probably what they really want and are comfortable if that is in the existing traditional structures if they can force it through and not have mass legacy fan boycotts, which they probably won't. I suspect the scab 6 supporters would be happy as it was reinforce their dominant positions but still have a nominal competitive veneer to it.

Subscription based channels like Sky and BT must have been badly shaken by this botched coup and it was done properly they would have been royally screwed.

Within five years they will attempt something like this again but done more fluffily and not in the tone deaf way like this time. They will probably hire  professional PR people and keep quiet themselves. And lock Perez in a hotel room.

Exactly, this is only the beginning. It's only a matter of time before UEFA are cut out as the middleman and clubs start controlling their own TV rights via streaming.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Zlatan 😂😂😂😂 he did **** all except somebody posted a fake quote with his name on it

Yeah there was nothing reported at all in Swedish media about him saying anything (if he did there would have been, believe me :D) and I could fine nothing in his social media feeds.

I still don't understand why the prem don't just cut Sky out and direct stream the league to the world - huge money to be had - add laws to ensure the money is kept in the English game and enough funds flow down - and that all football is played in the country. And Prince Wills as FA president to decide the league winner every year. 

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

I still don't understand why the prem don't just cut Sky out and direct stream the league to the world - huge money to be had - add laws to ensure the money is kept in the English game and enough funds flow down - and that all football is played in the country. And Prince Wills as FA president to decide the league winner every year. 

Probably some outdated law that football should be accessible to everyone and I guess there's potentially areas in the UK that can't get a sufficient internet connection or some BS.

They'd be much better cutting out Sky all together. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

Yeah there was nothing reported at all in Swedish media about him saying anything (if he did there would have been, believe me :D) and I could fine nothing in his social media feeds.

The Malmö part was the giveaway 😂 plus Messi team isnt River

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

The 3pm law of not showing games is probably the reason why

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Probably some outdated law that football should be accessible to everyone and I guess there's potentially areas in the UK that can't get a sufficient internet connection or some BS.

They'd be much better cutting out Sky all together. 

It's all a bit old fashioned - currently I pay a subscription to live stream the prem in Australia (that it redirects to my second mansion in the UK is neither here nor there, I pays ok!) - that a signal should bounce to Australia and back to blighty and still be high res shows how easy this is now. This battle was about control over the huge brands of football - currently they exist in the prem and the prem need to jump on that pronto - those non 'legacy' fans are still there with their credit cards ready in Malaysia and nearby.

Just now, Zatman said:

The Malmö part was the giveaway 😂 plus Messi team isnt River

Haha yeah, there were a few things wrong with that one. Messi isn't even from Buenos Aires and as you say Zlatan is in league with the  Anschutz Entertainment Group who are not at all better than the ones who tried to sell out football with the ESL

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The 3pm law of not showing games is probably the reason why

I think they need to examine that and find a happy in between - massively increase money coming in from direct streaming sales and then reduce ticket prices, they're not really in balance at the mo anyway. Add to that selling direct to the rest of the world who aren't affected by the 3pm thing. 

Just now, Jareth said:

I think they need to examine that and find a happy in between - massively increase money coming in from direct streaming sales and then reduce ticket prices, they're not really in balance at the mo anyway. Add to that selling direct to the rest of the world who aren't affected by the 3pm thing. 

3pm is not for the Premier League clubs benefit its for lower league teams. Its to stop fans watching United on Sky so they can go to Bury or Macclesfield live

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

The efl would oppose that big time. If tickets were cheaper AND 3pm kick offs  are broadcast domestically, football league attendances would drop off and clubs would go out of business. A Bury would happen every season.

Â