Breakaway League

Jareth

Anything less than the punishments given out to clubs (points deductions and relegations) and individual perpetrators (bans) as a result of the Italian matchfixing scandal is unacceptable. The precedent is there.

• Like 1

The owners will probably say they were ill advised by all their ceo's and are sorry this won't happen again (which will be a lie).   They will say the last 48 hours has opened their eyes to the love of the game from the football family or some other PR bollocks. Perhaps a few more ceos will be sacrificed like Woodward who was rubbish and was leaving anyway. And then we will move on how to accommodate a extra 4 pointless champions league group matches in an already full domestic calendar.

I can guarantee you there will be no points deductions or any other punitive measures.

Edited by The Fun Factory

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

I love how some fans were threatening to stop supporting their clubs and move allegiances to someone else because of the disgusting behaviour from their clubs, yet now that they’ve pulled out it’s all “yeah, but we shouldn’t be punished for it because it’s not really our fault”.

Do Bury fans think that their club should not have had to face the consequences of the financial mismanagement of their owners because it wasn’t the fans or players fault?

Classic hypocritical  “big club” mentality from certain fans too.

Agreed. It's all far too celebratory.

27 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

The amount of back patting going on is cringeworthy. Its the equivalent of a burglar stealing jewellery from your house, bringing it back 2 days later and then opening a bottle of champagne to celebrate.

There is nothing to celebrate here. Football is still a complete mess run by idiots and scumbags, just as it was 3 days ago.

Agreed. Punishments need to be ASAP.

Their fans are already turning.

I would not be surprised at all if the Super League carries on, but leaves six spots spare and they all turn round and sign up when the PL tries to fine them £150m and deduct 20 points.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yeh, I'm with you on this.
I'm actually disappointed it hasn't happened now. It was the perfect opportunity for football to almost start again. 

The worst thing about it now is they won't be punished and nothing will change. Shame. 

Same. I'm rally gutted it hasn't gone through. It would have been the great reset needed.

Now we just get to watch as these clubs grab more and more power, and build their Super League by another name while still dominating domestic competition.

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Interesting in exactly how they phrase the full no punishment welcome back?

well the 12 resigned so its 708 clubs who will recommend a punishment to UEFA. I think if they welcome them back so quickly it will be weak

I expect that the higher up's will consider a short term ban from European competition to be a suitable reaction to this, as it hits at the whole point of the ESL. 

That's what I expect to happen. 

Then I expect everyone to walk away whistling.  

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

That statement from the Liverpool owner is hilarious. Talking about how this was never going to take place if it didn't have the support of the fans. Yeah right.

If there was one shred of truth to that then it wouldnt have been kept secret from the fans, players and manager.

Sad trombone 

Agnelli admits Super League cannot go ahead after English clubs pull out

Asked whether the project could still happen after the exits, Agnelli told Reuters: “To be frank and honest no, evidently that is not the case.”

Agnelli insisted he remained convinced that European football needed change and had no regrets about the way the breakaway attempt was made. “I remain convinced of the beauty of that project,” he said, stating it would have created the best competition in the world. “But admittedly … I mean, I don’t think that that project is now still up and running.”

“Despite the announced departure of the English clubs, forced to take such decisions due to the pressure on them, we are convinced our proposal is fully aligned with European law and regulations,” an ESL statement read. “Given the current circumstances, we shall reconsider the most appropriate steps to reshape the project, always having in mind our goals of offering fans the best experience possible while enhancing solidarity payments for the entire football community.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/21/european-super-league-vows-to-reshape-after-english-clubs-pull-out

• Like 2

Â