Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

53 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Agree with this. Do you think playing Dendoncker to give more defensive thinking would help? If yes who would he replace ?

I think playing Luiz will be fine, perfect mix of attack and defence. Tbf I don't know much about dendoncker, I only assume he's more of a DM. 

19 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I think playing Luiz will be fine, perfect mix of attack and defence. Tbf I don't know much about dendoncker, I only assume he's more of a DM. 

I've seen a couple of Belgians who say he's best as a box-to-box.

I'm really hoping Gerrard has seen the error of his ways with our midfield selection btw. McGinn is surely on the verge of being dropped now.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I've seen a couple of Belgians who say he's best as a box-to-box.

I'm really hoping Gerrard has seen the error of his ways with our midfield selection btw. McGinn is surely on the verge of being dropped now.

So you reckon if anything, an improvement on McGinn, with added stature?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

We looked better yesterday with our shape and balance. By no means perfect though, as the left side is still an issue. Now Ramsey could do a job for now but in January or next summer we need to address the left sided forward issue.

Not the place here I know, but if Leicester don’t improve from their slump I’d be keeping a close eye on Harvey Barnes, who would be very good for us I reckon.

Just hope Gerrard now sees and understands the importance of having Kamara and Luiz together right now? Add Dendoncker to this and we could finally have solved our midfield woes.

We needed to sort the left sided forward issue when Grealish left for £100m. Instead, we spent all of our transfer budget that Summer on two right sided attackers and another striker. 

If he plays with the Christmas tree, then who do you play?

My backline is Cash - Chambers - Mings - Digne. I've lost confidence in Konsa. I'll be using Young instead of Cash against some opponents, but he doesn't have the legs to play every match.

Midfield would be Kamara - Doug - someone. I certainly want to try Dendonker. Could be him, could be Ramsey, could even be McGinn if he recovers.

That leaves 4 players competing for the two slots behind the striker...Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey, and Ramsey (if he's not in midfield). That's where the tough decision is. I would play one creator from Coutinho and Buendia (probably Buendia) and one runner from Ramsey and Bailey (probably Bailey), but I'm rotating either way. Two runners may have made sense yesterday against City, but I want to fix a creator in there against most opponents.

As much as I like Ings, if we're playing the tree and counter-attacking, Watkins gets the job.

53 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

This kind of ruins the good point from yesterday's game. 

If we were a newly promoted side then I'd get this attitude. 

We've spent a fortune and he's been backed and the CEO has said top half minimum. 

And we're talking like we're Forest. 

Exactly, while I'm very pleased with the point and feel that it's galvanising and refreshing with all the positivity from the game, my sober analysis is that this isn't progress at all. Neither is it a tactical masterstroke to park the bus and go for the counter. Managing to set up and pick the right players for that is basic stuff. As I've said in other posts, had we got the point playing like Newcastle did against City I would have been thrilled. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

This kind of ruins the good point from yesterday's game. 

If we were a newly promoted side then I'd get this attitude. 

We've spent a fortune and he's been backed and the CEO has said top half minimum. 

And we're talking like we're Forest. 

Yeah not interested in being talked down to boring, losing football being accepted.

Continuous improvement. No excuses. Let's see it.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

In the interview after the game today Gerrard said that if we need to wait with the nicer footbal and park some of the technical players to get more points then he will do that.

So expect Steve Bruce/Alex McLeish football for a while now.

I'm pretty sure Steve Bruce said the exact same thing during his tenure. Not that we were ever playing swashbuckling football under him mind, but that was the copout he used. I didn't realize we were Bournemouth. If you can't get the likes of Bailey, Coutinho, Luiz, Kamara, Buenda et al playing nicer football while also getting results...maybe that's a you problem? Why should the have to suffer because you want to desperately cling onto your job and not relegate us?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Just hope Gerrard now sees and understands the importance of having Kamara and Luiz together right now? Add Dendoncker to this and we could finally have solved our midfield woes.

I think Dendoncker and Kamara is the best combination. Kamara has the passing and ball retention ability, while dendoncker brings physicality, tackling and energy. Perfect mix. 

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I'm pretty sure Steve Bruce said the exact same thing during his tenure. Not that we were ever playing swashbuckling football under him mind, but that was the copout he used. I didn't realize we were Bournemouth. If you can't get the likes of Bailey, Coutinho, Luiz, Kamara, Buenda et al playing nicer football while also getting results...maybe that's a you problem? Why should the have to suffer because you want to desperately cling onto your job and not relegate us?

gotta agree with this, on the whole.

You dont need to play gung ho football to play attractive football, unfortunately Gerrard seems to see attractive football as replicating Liverpool, who's system only works with top class/world class defenders, full backs and DM's, we dont have those players on the whole.

But over all, i agree, if you cant solidify the defensive side with players like Mings, Carlos (when fit), Bednarek, Chambers & Dendoncker, and to a lesser degree kamara and Luiz, while also utilizing our players who are good on the ball, like Luiz, Kamara, Buendia, Coutinho, Bailey to have a good defensive/offensive balance and play some decent football, im not sure management is for you.

I think one of his issues is he doesnt play Luiz, nor Couts, Buendia, bailey together in runs, he plays two strikers and leaves the midfield empty, plays gung ho wing backs without offering defensive solidity from other areas, plays McGinn, to a lesser degree plays Ramsey with McGinn, persists with Konsa etc etc.

In my unprofessional opinion, i could write a list like war and peace as to how many decisions Gerrard is fu***** up regularly.

On 04/09/2022 at 00:41, TH said:

2 things from the game for me - going with a single striker works heaps better. Watkins relishes that role. 

It was painfully obvious from last season one up front is the way to go. Watkins and Ings will never work. Although Ings is the better finisher for the workrate Watkins has to start. 

• Like 2

Start by taking this:

------------------------------------------------------Martinez--------------------------------------------

Cash/Young----Chambers/Konsa/Bednarek--------Mings----------------Digne

-----------------------------------Kamara----------------Luiz/Dendoncker---------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------Watkins-------------------------------------------------

Plus any three more you like - you could play Dendoncker and put Luiz in front of him, you can play McGinn, Ramsey and one more forward, whatever you like - as long as you have this eight in place.

Goalkeeper, a back four featuring our actual Captain, a midfield with two holding players and a striker who gives you an out ball and some running power.

Take your pick for the other three from McGinn, Luiz/Dendoncker, Ramsey, Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey and Ings - but get the foundation in place and keep it in place.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

I think Dendoncker and Kamara is the best combination. Kamara has the passing and ball retention ability, while dendoncker brings physicality, tackling and energy. Perfect mix. 

Yeah, that does sound good. I am looking forward to seeing Dendoncker, although he has played in the PL for the last few years, I can't say I have seen that much of him play and even at that I didn't pay too much attention to his ability

Â