Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

Gotta be this for me, im picking for the "balanced team" aspect.

• Mings - 6ft 4
  • Bednarek - 6ft 2
  • Dendoncker - 6ft 2
  • Offers much more physicality and aerial control in the defensive area's.
  • Kamara can do his thing knowing Dendoncker and the DC's behind him can cover/break play up adequately.
  • I know i didnt pick Luiz, but its about balance for me, i would go Kamara or Luiz alongside Dendoncker for the overall balance, we could go Luiz/Kamara "if" we didnt consider the opposition team a threat from long balls/crosses/corners etc etc, but i still like the balance of a physical DM alongside a progressive DM in a pivot.

image.png.a532d32c55ddb89022f2c266037393c4.png

you know Gerrard wont play 4231 tho, or maybe even start Dendoncker and Bednarek, they could just be bench warmers or Sanson mk.2 and mk.3 for all i know, i have given up trying to second guess Gerrard's idiocy.

I also like this, could swap Bailey in for either Couts or Buendia in a 343 type:

image.png.78bea8eba5b83486fe67020d9672ed7c.png

Or this, but a proper 433, not the shi**y Gerrard version, again, Couts could sway for Bailey or Buendia as required:

image.png.bebeb54623081b8c393c0c29a2bb8475.png

you know its gonna be this 433 Gerrard nonsense tho.......arrrrghhh..

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

• Mings - 6ft 4
  • Bednarek - 6ft 2
  • Dendoncker - 6ft 2
  • Kamara can do his thing knowing Dendoncker and the DC's behind him can cover/break play up adequately.
  • I know i didnt pick Luiz, but its about balance for me, i would go Kamara or Luiz alongside Dendoncker for the overall balance, we could go Luiz/Kamara "if" we didnt consider the opposition team a threat from long balls/crosses/corners etc etc, but i still like the balance of a physical DM alongside a progressive DM in a pivot.

you know Gerrard wont play 4231 tho, or maybe even start Dendoncker and Bednarek, they could just be bench warmers or Sanson mk.2 and mk.3 for all i know, i have given up trying to second guess Gerrard's idiocy.

I also like this, could swap Bailey in for either Couts or Buendia in a 343 type:

The Dendoncker signing is interesting and does signal something different may be tried. Either a double pivot or 3 at the back.

I think everyone would welcome a different approach and this signing may give us that flexibility that we didn't quite have.

1 hour ago, SuffolkVillan said:

I agree, both signings are pragmatic and Dendonker certainly isn't a Gerrard type signing. God forbid we might actually play 4231 now.

Dont be silly, 4231 is a recognized standard formation the players would understand. Next thing you will be telling me is we will play our full backs in position. Madness.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

4 hours ago, MaVilla said:

• Mings - 6ft 4
  • Bednarek - 6ft 2
  • Dendoncker - 6ft 2

Or this, but a proper 433, not the shi**y Gerrard version, again, Couts could sway for Bailey or Buendia as required:

All interesting options for the next manager. Gerrard will still try and get his ramsey and mcginn combo in though. If he didn't make mcginn captain then i could see him maybe trying the 3rd option..

Coutinho looks miles off a Premier League player right now so shouldn't be near the starting lineup. 

Buendia should play but out wide as he isn't strong enough to hold the ball against the bigger players he faces through the middle. 

With those in mind I would play something like this from now on:

----------------------Martinez---------------------

Cash-----Chambers---Mings----Digne

-----------Dendoncker------Kamara---------

Bailey-----------------Luiz------------Buendia

------------------------Watkins---------------------

• Like 2

It's odd really. At times during the start of his reign, Gerrard set us up as very deep and compact whilst hitting teams on the counter. We were relatively successful in matches where we styled ourselves like that as well. 

It's astonishing really that he hasn't had us doing that more often when we've been on a run of poor results.

2 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Coutinho looks miles off a Premier League player right now so shouldn't be near the starting lineup. 

Buendia should play but out wide as he isn't strong enough to hold the ball against the bigger players he faces through the middle. 

That would be my team aswell. Depending on who we are playing it can easily be 4-3-3 with Luis as a proper 8 and Bailey and Buendia further up as wide forwards

4 hours ago, Villarocker said:

I was also thinking along these lines. our Midfield has been non-existent of late, so  this would/could be a better mix. I would switch Bailey and Buendia, according to transfermarkt Buendia prefers the right and Bailey the left. 

4 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Like that, requires a managerial change to see it though.

I think I’d have Ramsey as a deep lying 10/8 with Dendonker/Kamara as the double pivot, mainly for his progressive carries. Luiz might also work slightly further forward than normal. Buendia right, coming back to help out, out of position, Watkins and Bailey (left) running the channels for any counter attacking opportunities. 

I hope we now finally tweak the system.

We have a back 4 we can now have settled. Bednarek in for Konsa. They remain the same now consistently selected.

The tweaks needed to be made are based around two formations.

The first is the 4 2 3 1. Two from Kamara, Dendoncker and Luiz to pick from as the 6s. JJ or McGinn as the AMC as we need the goal threat they can bring and JJ making driving runs into the box is a great threat.

We then pick two from Coutinho, Buendia and Bailey as our wide players. We employ the steering wheel approach to the full backs if one goes forward for the overlap the other stays back to make a 3 with the two 6s for a 2 3 5 shape in attack.

The next is a 4 3 3 where the width comes from the wide forwards. The midfield three either consists of two attacking 8s and one 6, so JJ, Kamara, McGinn or one box to box 8 and two 6s. JJ, Kamara Dendoncker.

The full backs can overlap or tuck into Midfield depending on if one or two of the Midfielders have joined the attack. This keeps the 2 3 5 shape in attack. 

The benefits of these formations is we play to the strengths of our Midfielders, picking 6s to be solid defensively and 8s to provide attacking threat. It allows faster attack transition as we don't need to build up so slowly as we get our full backs up to provide attacking width. We are also caught out less in the channels and space behind our full backs. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MaVilla said:

• Mings - 6ft 4
  • Bednarek - 6ft 2
  • Dendoncker - 6ft 2

Look good teams but 1 glaring issue, no McGinn, he is Gerrard's crown Jewel, he wont drop him 

I’m not sure on a double pivot with Kamara and Dendoncker as some are suggesting. Both are out and out ball winning defensive midfielders and putting them together they’d both probably want to occupy the same areas of the pitch at the same time, and it would be pretty negative in possession. More realistically a double pivot would work with Luiz who likes to drop deep but is more comfortable in possession and would provide a better link with the defensive units and the more advanced units. But we’ve seen enough of Gerrard now to know he isn’t going to play that way anyway.

I'm predicting this depressing front 6 for the City game (Dendoncker in if his sore throat isn't a factor, Luiz if it is):

Ings        Watkins

Coutinho

McGinn    Luiz/Dendoncker         

Kamara

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

Â