Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I think we should go back to a conservative approach, one SG adopted when he first came.

We can leave out Buendia and Coutinho and introduce them as we gain a foothold in the games...when we seize the initiative, that is the time to introduce them.

We must adopt a "hard to play against" approach.....and go from there.

We are too easy to play against with them in the side for the whole game.

What we sayin Paul?

squad (1)-min.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If we play that team we are in big big trouble this season

From which angle?

Not enough attacking threat or?

Middle 3 are all solid defensively and can pass well enough.

Front three can be free to attack.

Likes of Luiz can also support attack.

Obviously certain personnel interchangeable at different time periods.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

From which angle?

Not enough attacking threat or?

Nothing at all in attack, midfield is poor and defensively thats also awful, Bednarek was a Southampton reserve defender and should be behind Konsa and Chambers, Dendoncker might be a good signing but is probably our 5th best midfielder

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

What we sayin Paul?

squad (1)-min.jpg

looks ok to me.....worth a try....good to start with.

has an air of resillience to it.....doesn't have to be for the whole game, we have 5 subs now.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Nothing at all in attack, midfield is poor and defensively thats also awful, Bednarek was a Southampton reserve defender and should be behind Konsa and Chambers, Dendoncker might be a good signing but is probably our 5th best midfielder

Nothing in attack, yeah there is no creativity coming from the midfield, but this team looks like it is set up to defend and hit on the counter attack at pace. So no room for creativity. 

Behind Konsa? Konsa would be last choice. Chambers is a good shout, but i dont think Gerrard rates him.

Dedoncker would get the shout ahead of McGinn, Jesus Doris the tea lady could probably put in a shift ahead of McGinn at the moment.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

What we sayin Paul?

squad (1)-min.jpg

We have been playing a three in midfield this season and previous and getting the same outcome.....we get stretched all over the park.

One pass from the Oppo back line and that leaves three players out of the game already....add to the fact most teams play 5 in the middle we now looking at a 5 on three in the middle....our wings get battered every game leaving one of luiz or Ramsay being dragged out to sort it out.

Need a 5 to balance the midfield and provide any sort of attack.

That line up...and mainly the shape is just asking teams on to us

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bazmonkey said:

We have been playing a three in midfield this season and previous and getting the same outcome.....we get stretched all over the park.

One pass from the Oppo back line and that leaves three players out of the game already....add to the fact most teams play 5 in the middle we now looking at a 5 on three in the middle....our wings get battered every game leaving one of luiz or Ramsay being dragged out to sort it out.

Need a 5 to balance the midfield and provide any sort of attack.

That line up...and mainly the shape is just asking teams on to us

3-5-2?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

3-5-2?

Mings Konsa Chambers 

Cash  Ramsey Kamara Luiz Digne 

Bailey Watkins 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I thought we all agreed Konsa has been pretty terrible this season though?

( I'd be more inclined to go Chambers as @Zatmanindicated if anything )

Me too. But he’ll go with Konsa as he sees something in him. I think Konsa is having a bad season but let’s not forget that Bednarek couldn’t get into a pretty awful Saints defence. 

• Like 1

On 12/09/2022 at 17:31, Delphinho123 said:

Me too. But he’ll go with Konsa as he sees something in him. I think Konsa is having a bad season but let’s not forget that Bednarek couldn’t get into a pretty awful Saints defence. 

I think Konsa has been instrumental in quite a few poorly conceded goals, so has Cash., opponents love that right hand side......However, I have no idea if Bednarek is any better.

Chambers looks a tad better to me.

In our present predicament, I think going on to attack too early is suicide....all it does is prod the bear, and we end up conceding to teams better without the ball than us.

We need to start tight, and grow in to the game, by winning the initiative, and then slipping in to attack mode, by keeping the ball better....We need to place doubt in the minds of the opposition, playing too open, won't do that.

We are not a particularly good side without the ball....(and that needs to be factored in to our game strategy, until we become better at it.).....we are not currently strong enough to go all out attack either, without consequences.

Until we can keep the ball better, stay on the ball better and win the ball back better, (as a group,) when we haven't got it..............our game, will be a constant debate of what system?, what formation? and what game plan?, suits us best. I think we are barking up the wrong tree.

We have to be "Hard to play against" as a fundamental base to move forward from.....thats where confidence comes from.......score one, concede one, rinse and repeat, evaporates confidence, and drains belief and thats where we are.

if we can get the detail right, the outcomes will be easier to come by, and points will roll, in....."Hard to play against," has to be the start of the fight back.

our problem is, we can't create, without conceding....its all or nothing, and that has to turn in to control, there are times to attack, and times to defend or contain, and we need some savvy to know when to do both....and we also need to be proficient when we are doing either.....We need to commit too many players to attack, and too many to defend, too many need help, and that drains energy, the transition between defence and attack and back again, must be more slick and cohesive and have an air of Authority.......they must cope better individually, in transition.

debating systems, will be a constant, if we can't get the basics right.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â