Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

I like the shape posted by @messi11above, but I would possibly leave Coutinho on the bench and start McGinn or Buendia in attacking midfield.

I just think Coutinho's defensive work rate is so poor that he tends to look better coming on later in the game when he can drift around and take advantage of the extra space. Early on we want to be tighter and not lose the early battles.

Edit: and yes, I know McGinn has been shite for us for ages, but he still looks good at CAM for Scotland, and I wonder if he'd get a new lease of life playing there.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

2 things from the game for me - going with a single striker works heaps better. Watkins relishes that role. 

Secondly, having more bodies in the middle made a difference which highlighted where we have struggled this season.

I wonder if 4-5-1 is the way forward with JJ, Bailey, Phil and Emi rotating between those wide spots with the rest fighting it out for the middle 3.

JJ looks better higher up and being able to drive forward but still retains that midfield part of his game. Had a similar role to that lad on Cities bench that used to play for us. 

It will be interesting to see how we shape up next week against Leicester.

• Like 3

We played alright on the counter today but that is because the opposition forces us to play that way. You look at the stats from the other games so far this season we have had a lot more possession and made a hell of a lot more passes. So I don’t think the plan is for us to be a counter attacking side, although it may be that we resort to that if we can pick up some results sharpish. 

Luiz to play in a 3 in front of Kamara for me. 

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Something like this is pretty much what we've all been calling for.

This gets the best, out of our best players, and even our second string!

In your opinion...

Does Gerrard get credit for finally doing it, or deserve stick for only realising what fans have seen for months?

Delighted with a battling point.

Currently firmly Gerrard out still. I want to enjoy watching us (like today!) again.

I'd like to see some more basic learning from the fella if he's staying up to the international break.

16 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

Good quotes in the mail just now.

Talks about leaving some of the flair on the bench and being more pragmatic. Hints at putting the longer term plan somewhat on hold the build a stronger base in the short term. Much of what people on here have been saying.

I picked up on that too. I have long thought that he is trying to run before he can walk. We need to become solid and build from there. Young really bought some calm to the team yesterday. He needs to retain his place. Hopefully Dendonker will have a similar effect.

Gerrard really needs to stick to a formation, a way of playing consistently. He also needs to choose his team and stick with it to allow them to gel.

A solid foundation of Young, Digne, Mings and one of Konsa/Chambers/Bednarek (he needs to decide which one and stick with it). Doug and Boubs must start with either Dendonker or McGinn (again he needs to stick with one of them which would be Dendonker for me). Bailey and Ollie have to start and then one of Coutinho/Ramsey/Buendia (can change depending on the match).

We really look like a team that has no confidence. Picking a consistent team that knows they are going to play every week, subject to form, will really help. We need a run now. Win the next two and Gerrard has earned more time.

29 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

Good quotes in the mail just now.

Talks about leaving some of the flair on the bench and being more pragmatic. Hints at putting the longer term plan somewhat on hold the build a stronger base in the short term. Much of what people on here have been saying.

So pretty much what Lampard has done at Everton. 

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I picked up on that too. I have long thought that he is trying to run before he can walk. We need to become solid and build from there. Young really bought some calm to the team yesterday. He needs to retain his place. Hopefully Dendonker will have a similar effect.

Gerrard really needs to stick to a formation, a way of playing consistently. He also needs to choose his team and stick with it to allow them to gel.

A solid foundation of Young, Digne, Mings and one of Konsa/Chambers/Bednarek (he needs to decide which one and stick with it). Doug and Boubs must start with either Dendonker or McGinn (again he needs to stick with one of them which would be Dendonker for me). Bailey and Ollie have to start and then one of Coutinho/Ramsey/Buendia (can change depending on the match).

We really look like a team that has no confidence. Picking a consistent team that knows they are going to play every week, subject to form, will really help. We need a run now. Win the next two and Gerrard has earned more time.

Would be Dendoncker or Buendia for me in a counter attacking 433 (or more of a 4231 with Buendia.  Being able to get the ball to Buendia in central midfield on the counter could really hurt teams as his passing is dangerous. Then a front 3 of Ramsey,  Watkins and Bailey 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

We all know whats going to happen.

Complete change of formation next game with Ings and Watkins up top or something stupid and we will be back at square one.

If thats the case and he learns nothing then I'm fully back in the out camp.

Yesterday he found a way to accommodate mcginn and Ramsey in a functional midfield. It's not ideal but at least he recognised one of the main flaws. However he can't play without either of the playmakers in most games, so something gas to give to keep the ballance.

3 minutes ago, Nigel said:

If thats the case and he learns nothing then I'm fully back in the out camp.

Yesterday he found a way to accommodate mcginn and Ramsey in a functional midfield. It's not ideal but at least he recognised one of the main flaws. However he can't play without either of the playmakers in most games, so something gas to give to keep the ballance.

It’s a simple solution really drop Mcginn 

8 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I thought our transition game worked much better last, probably a lot to do with having another defensive minded player on the pitch not to leave ourselves short at the back.

I thought in the second half we were not pinned back that much either.

Agree with this. Do you think playing Dendoncker to give more defensive thinking would help? If yes who would he replace ?

13 hours ago, messi11 said:

Is this the way forward?
More Pace and control in the middle 

aston-villa-starting-xi-2223-710eeafde312d07e40319825de23d6d1.jpg

Hmm possibly. Buendia in for Coutinho I'd like to see. But I'd like to see us switching between the 4231 (with an AM) and a 433, so Sanson (madness I know!) would become part of the midfield three.

We looked better yesterday with our shape and balance. By no means perfect though, as the left side is still an issue. Now Ramsey could do a job for now but in January or next summer we need to address the left sided forward issue.

Not the place here I know, but if Leicester don’t improve from their slump I’d be keeping a close eye on Harvey Barnes, who would be very good for us I reckon.

Just hope Gerrard now sees and understands the importance of having Kamara and Luiz together right now? Add Dendoncker to this and we could finally have solved our midfield woes.

9 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I like the shape posted by @messi11above, but I would possibly leave Coutinho on the bench and start McGinn or Buendia in attacking midfield.

I just think Coutinho's defensive work rate is so poor that he tends to look better coming on later in the game when he can drift around and take advantage of the extra space. Early on we want to be tighter and not lose the early battles.

Edit: and yes, I know McGinn has been shite for us for ages, but he still looks good at CAM for Scotland, and I wonder if he'd get a new lease of life playing there.

I floated the idea of say having McGinn on the left, and Ramsey behind the strikers, as McGinn is left footed as well.

Less of a liability when not dead centre of park, will be able to help the attack and do more of what he's actually good at.

4 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

We looked better yesterday with our shape and balance. By no means perfect though, as the left side is still an issue. Now Ramsey could do a job for now but in January or next summer we need to address the left sided forward issue.

Not the place here I know, but if Leicester don’t improve from their slump I’d be keeping a close eye on Harvey Barnes, who would be very good for us I reckon.

Just hope Gerrard now sees and understands the importance of having Kamara and Luiz together right now? Add Dendoncker to this and we could finally have solved our midfield woes.

Middle three of

Kamara            Dendonker

Luiz

With JJ | Bailey | Ollie would both be solid and very attacking capable as well IMO.

EMI and Coutinho fight it out with JJ and Leon for a place. A good cup run etc would also help.

• Like 1

Â