Match Thread: Sheff Utd v Villa

limpid

All to play for here. Sheff United aren't up to much. The issue we have is the CM is too compact and all about a metre away from one another at all times - we don't have anyone attacking through the middle. 

Nakamba and Ramsey ahead of the alternatives is an interesting option, but I'm glad to see him offering opportunities to squad players.

However, today, they aren't delivering, changes needed. Barkley and/or Luiz added, or perhaps Sanson.

I'd personally love to see Sanson, but not sure this is the right situation, would be a great way to announce himself if he did influence a win though.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

We're "awful" or SU ain't as bad as the pre match chat were making them out to be?

SU definitely read the pre game comments. So much cockiness and arrogance.

Change the record. People said that if we play well we would win. We haven't played well. Stop trying to point score. It's really tiring.

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

Don't forget we are playing against a good side.  

They aren't good nor are they particularly bad.

If you aren't matching them for energy and work rate you can easily end up losing. Don't be fooled by the league position. Every game in this league is hard.

1 minute ago, jimmygreaves said:

Late tackle on McGinn... Studs up on the ankle... Good chance for red didn't even get a booking.

The one where the three of them all slid in together?

I think it looked a little late - yellow would have done.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Define 'not good'. They are playing with passion and commitment, they've been first to every 50-50 ball. Player for player, our team may be 'better'. As a team, Sheffield are playing better than us, so far. 

Goal aside I think we have been far more telling in attack and don’t deserve to be behind, but I am not saying we should be ahead, far from it, we need to improve and sharpen up. We have the ability, hopefully Nakamba unshackled Barkley and he is hungry to prove he should be playing.

Feels like the kind of game that we're never going to score in, not creating nearly enough chances. Was surprised at the starting eleven, was okay for Leeds, but think we need something different for this game where we're expected to take game to the opposition. If we lose will be one of the worst results in a long time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Obvious foul on Ollie not given.

We've been too pedestrian. McGinn too flat as Nakamba warmed into the game.

Everyone is making silly unforced errors.

Sheffield United are a turgid team, we are making it easy for them. We aren't playing the intensity we need.

Shocking goal to concede. Unacceptable at this level.

We've had good chances. Still much to play for. Good to have options on the bench still.

That is us for most of this season. Woeful at keeping the ball. Everything inevitably breaks down and the hoofing doesn't help.

• Like 2

How did Watkins not get a penalty yet anytime players for certain clubs get breathed on in the box they watch it for 5 minutes to see if they can justify giving something. Got absolutely clattered with no attempt on the ball ffs

Ramsay has been a bit of a passenger, I like him much better coming off the bench, looks twice the player when he does. Hope he learns from this. 

I wonder if it's time for Sanson to start games, any configuration of midfield players we've tried lately has been very poor in possession. We only look comfortable when we have a lead to defend, and that hasn't happened very often lately. 

Oh look, it's another "Villa struggle against the scrappy side they're expected to beat" episode. It's like our players have a hard time with the weight of expectation. 

Also, poor from the ref so far.