Match Thread: Villa v Leicester

limpid

We’ve made it incredibly easy for Leicester. I don’t think they’ve been great at all - barely got out of second gear. The effort levels have been unacceptable and Watkins is totally isolated. Something has to change at half time, surely? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

In lots of ways we haven't been too bad - Leicester are the better side, but I think we've been in the game.

The first goal was a little sloppy but a good strike.

We're definitely missing Cash - Elmo looks rusty and while I think Traore is working harder than he's worked since he got here he'll never be any good at the defensive side of the game - it's leaving that right side looking like a bit of a buffet for Leicester.

The midfield are doing okay I think, I think McGinn has had a decent half and Luiz and Barkley have both done good things on the ball - Leicester's midfield is good.

El Ghazi has looked very lively and I think Targett has been our best player.

It's just really that problem down our right hand side that we need to fix. I'm not sure how we do that, whether Trez or Kesler are the answer I don't know - but I think it's the main difference between the sides.

I don't think we've been a disaster - nor do I think we're getting back into this one - the better side is ahead.

I think you need to take your rose tinted glasses off. 

The two goals have been dire. Marking shadows, they had so much time to do what they want to do. 

They are coming through our midfield at will. This is like a practice match for them it’s far too easy.

Lets be honest. This is no surprise as we’ve been poor for the last 3/4 games or maybe more.

we will do well to keep it to 2-0. 

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Our midfield is woeful.....non existent.

Been a problem for a long time. When Jack has a good game it’s not an issue but I think the Villa women’s squad could do a better job 😂. (I mean no disrespect to women’s football) 

• Like 1

Need a bit more bite, on a whole not terrible (or at least no worse than last 4 games) - making the ‘one man team’ excuse to predictable.

sanson on for me, either Barkley or Barkley off!! Put AEG through middle with Ollie, And go a bit narrower.  

One thing I really don’t like is how slow the defence is in moving ball forward, becomes far to telegraphed.

Edited by MattVillaPortsmouth

The big concern for me is that we have enough quality to show better than this when jacks injured. 

But makes you wonder if grealish ever leaves what the hell happens to this team. We are Aston villa not grealish fc. We need to be able to play and win games without jack

3 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I wanted mid table, we're gonna be mid table. No relegation worries.

We're on the beach, feet up and that's fine with me. 

I just don't understand how a supposed fan can accept mediocre performances from his team and not be frustrated by it. 

If we're on the beach with our feet up and not arsed then why bother watching any of our remaining games?

• Like 1

Just now, est1874 said:

Sorry but that's madness. We're a few points off Europe places and have been for a while now. Why on earth would we be on the beach??

If so, wtf am I (or any of us for that matter) doing watching this shite? 

I dunno, why are you?

We aren't getting Europe. We aren't anywhere near consistent enough for it. 

We're gonna get exactly what I wanted from this season, I'm not going to moan and sulk and now say it's been terrible.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I don't particularly get the hype around Luiz - but everyone seems to love him, so I assume I'm watching a different player.

I think he's not played too great this season but the system seems to always leave him exposed and I'm not sure it suits him.

He's a good player and he played superbly after lockdown but this season I don't see a player Man City would want back.

He's young though and long term will be great for us, if he stays. 

Just now, JB said:

We’ve made it incredibly easy for Leicester. I don’t think they’ve been great at all - barely got out of second gear. The effort levels have been unacceptable and Watkins is totally isolated. Something has to change at half time, surely? 

He should, but i'll die of shock of he makes a sub before 70 mins

I'd make 3 changes at half time but it is hard to pick the 3 subs given Barkley, McGinn, Elmo and Traore have all been so poor. 

I'd probably go Trez for Traore, Sanson for Barkley and either Ramsey, Nakamba or Chukwuemeka for McGinn. 

But I can see the arguement for Kessler for Elmo. 

Just now, VillaFaninLondon said:

I've said it before, in 2021 we have been dreadful. You can excuse it for Man City away but not the woeful performances we've put in so far today, Southampton, West Ham, Brighton. Everyone saying Leicester are so good, are Southampton or Brighton so good? They're below us.

We can keep blaming the COVID outbreak and use it as an excuse all we want, but I don't think any of them have long COVID and it was well over a month ago now. It's just not acceptable to keep performing like this and I'm afraid it's on the manager. 

If players aren't going to run, show for the ball, give energy to the team, then TAKE THEM OUT. Be a brave manager not a stubborn one. 

He should make 1 or even 2 subs at HT. Shocking performance and too many passengers. Nakamba on for Luiz and Sanson for Barkley. Get some control and balance in the midfield because at the moment we have none whatsoever.

Sorry, but this is garbage.  How have we been dreadful in 2021?! 

What worries me is was our transformation from last season - all about two players in absolutely incredible form ? - Grealish and Martinez, dips in form for both of them .....are we much better than last season ?