Match Thread: Villa v Leicester

limpid

1 minute ago, pacbuddies said:

Another rubbish performance. And so begins our inevitable slide down the table as Smith shows his naivety in team selection, tactics and in game management.

You've been waiting all year for it. I'm glad you get your moment now. 

• Like 2

I'd sack width off here - we've been better as the half progressed, but there have been a lot of long balls under pressure too.  El Ghazi has looked alright, but Barkley and Traore have been fairly poo.  Take them both off, bring on Sanson and Davis.  Watkins and Sanson will need to provide the legs, but from a more central position.  Hopefully Davis would allow the ball to stick a bit up the pitch.

• Like 1

In lots of ways we haven't been too bad - Leicester are the better side, but I think we've been in the game.

The first goal was a little sloppy but a good strike.

We're definitely missing Cash - Elmo looks rusty and while I think Traore is working harder than he's worked since he got here he'll never be any good at the defensive side of the game - it's leaving that right side looking like a bit of a buffet for Leicester.

The midfield are doing okay I think, I think McGinn has had a decent half and Luiz and Barkley have both done good things on the ball - Leicester's midfield is good.

El Ghazi has looked very lively and I think Targett has been our best player.

It's just really that problem down our right hand side that we need to fix. I'm not sure how we do that, whether Trez or Kesler are the answer I don't know - but I think it's the main difference between the sides.

I don't think we've been a disaster - nor do I think we're getting back into this one - the better side is ahead.

• Like 3

Poor half, came into it as it went on but I wouldn't even be encouraged about that considering how largely comfortable Leicester have looked. The change in midfield shape - which I'm sure a lot of you are buzzing about - has helped us keep the ball better than in the last couple but we still look toothless at the moment and for all the stick about defensive output that's the real worry for me at the moment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Cool. 

Strikes me as a flat track bully. Also very poor out of possession. 

Was full of praise for him earlier in the season but he’s been largely rubbish in the last few matches. 

I think we have been poor as a team over those games. At least today he is trying, tracking back and showing for it, but no one is looking for space ahead of him. He was poor in either the Burnley or West Ham match I do admit. I just think we are poor at the moment. The number of shots conceded against Brighton says our midfield just isn’t working as a unit.

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

In lots of ways we haven't been too bad - Leicester are the better side, but I think we've been in the game.

The first goal was a little sloppy but a good strike.

We're definitely missing Cash - Elmo looks rusty and while I think Traore is working harder than he's worked since he got here he'll never be any good at the defensive side of the game - it's leaving that right side looking like a bit of a buffet for Leicester.

The midfield are doing okay I think, I think McGinn has had a decent half and Luiz and Barkley have both done good things on the ball - Leicester's midfield is good.

El Ghazi has looked very lively and I think Targett has been our best player.

It's just really that problem down our right hand side that we need to fix. I'm not sure how we do that, whether Trez or Kesler are the answer I don't know - but I think it's the main difference between the sides.

I don't think we've been a disaster - nor do I think we're getting back into this one - the better side is ahead.

Yeah, I don't think this has been a terrible performance - we're just lacking any sort of cutting edge and were defensively poor the first 15 mins.

Leicester are a very good side.

• Like 1