Match Thread: Villa v Leicester

limpid

Clearly not been good enough. Strange conundrum in that Barkley has probably been one of our better players but the midfield needs changing. Looks to me like Barkley has been asked to play a bit deeper. If he has, then I'd suggest Luiz for nakamba would be the change to make. Luiz has been quiet in a game where we need him more than most. I do think @TRO request for a more durable midfield is required here.

Targett has looked good to me. Little support across that backline though. Or from just in front.

1 minute ago, Farlz said:

I wanted mid table, we're gonna be mid table. No relegation worries.

We're on the beach, feet up and that's fine with me. 

Glad, i don't see things like you.....just throw the towel in and be done.

To be honest I expected us to lose even if Grealish started, Leicester are one of the form teams and our form has been terrible. Dean didn't change anything that he wasn't forced to and hence nothing has improved.

If anyone still believes Elmo is better than Guilbert they need therapy.

Barkley has actually been better than recent performances, but the rest of the midfield is a useless as ever.

• Like 1

switch it up at half time and try to surprise this Leicester team, they’re simultaneously very well drilled and very good players.

a change in formation and unknown personnel would be my route to trying to get something out of this, Sanson and one of the midfield kids please

1 minute ago, Farlz said:

I wanted mid table, we're gonna be mid table. No relegation worries.

We're on the beach, feet up and that's fine with me. 

Sorry but that's madness. We're a few points off Europe places and have been for a while now. Why on earth would we be on the beach??

If so, wtf am I (or any of us for that matter) doing watching this shite? 

17 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Denial? We're 8th in the league. Get a grip.

Does that mean when the same player does zero for what 8 in 9 games puffing about, giving the ball away, messing about with it ruining any attaching impetus we manage to get, shouldn't be judged ?

Barkley for what ever reason has literally been a waste of a shirt for several games, offering nothing what so ever.

How can the wide players do anything when he does nothing to support or feed them ? 

A liability for several games, no energy, no commitment and lacking any kind of quality full stop.

Bench until he can show otherwise and get someone on who will actually help the team rather than play for himself which is what alot of our players did for 2/3 of last season.

7 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Barkleys crossing is dire

And his decision making.

I'm sick of listening to commentators/summarisors saying that about Barkley each game.

We needed a goal from one of those corners, they look very fragile aerially.

Konsa had a perfect one six yards out, but flicked it on.

• Thanks 1

Leicester are a better team than us, that’s why they’re second and we’re not and I did not have high expectations for this game when I thought Grealish would be playing so the score line isn’t surprising.

But man, we have gone right off the boil lately, we’re creating next to nothing really which is a complete turnaround from earlier in the season, worrying signs for the remaining matches particularly if we’re going to be without Cash and Grealish for a period.

1 minute ago, Danishlad said:

Luiz is the problem.  Without the ball,  You can’t give Maddison that type of space. 
And with the ball, if  Luiz is going to play he has to dictate the play much much better and give better quality balls to the offensive players. 
he doesn’t do it. 

For the goal Luiz is out on the left wing - he's thirty yards further away from it than Barkley and ends up a lot closer to Maddison than Barkley does. I think Barkley has done alright today, he's been better in a slightly deeper role - but the space there is on him first and Mings second on not closing down the shot.

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

Kinda feel like we could do with Nakamba sitting behind a midfield 4 just man marking Maddison. Not really Smith's style though. 

That is his big flaw, he knows what is needed, but refuses to move away from his one way of playing.

Good managers adapt to the opposition, they dont just hit the repeat button and hope for the best.