The Race for Europe 20/21

GingerCollins29

On 12/02/2021 at 09:41, ender4 said:

These are some of the teams still in the Europa league this year - Who wouldn't want to be playing against these teams next season...

Ajax

Rangers

Antwerp

We have some history with these three. Nice memories of beating Ajax, a rude awakening on our first venture into Europe against Antwerp (that it would be nice to put right) and Rangers didn't much like being beaten even in a friendly. Bring them all on! ;) 

image.jpeg.446022a5e6d46b4374b46ff1d25ee7e6.jpeg image.jpeg.fb22218a79894348dc2b97774907bb41.jpeg image.jpeg.3eabd02c4b6f69876b4c8ddde6230936.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If we can come out of the next two, Leicester & Leeds, with 4 points or more I may start to think we could actually achieve Europe. We will have to do this having just possibly played our worst football of the season however so it really is "lets see what you're made of" time.

24 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

If we can come out of the next two, Leicester & Leeds, with 4 points or more I may start to think we could actually achieve Europe. We will have to do this having just possibly played our worst football of the season however so it really is "lets see what you're made of" time.

I don't see it our fixtures in April and May are horrible and we aren't in great form at the minute to get a running start.

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

I don't see it our fixtures in April and May are horrible and we aren't in great form at the minute to get a running start.

Everton, Man U, Palace, Spurs, and Chelsea in May.

i don’t fear anyone at the moment, but that isn’t the friendliest run in you’ll ever see.

1 hour ago, MNVillan said:

Everton, Man U, Palace, Spurs, and Chelsea in May.

i don’t fear anyone at the moment, but that isn’t the friendliest run in you’ll ever see.

Liverpool, Man City, West Brom, Everton, Man Utd, Palace, Spurs, Chelsea.

That is the list from April 10th onwards.

Before that we have Leicester, Leeds, Wolves, Newcastle, Fulham.

We aren't playing well at the moment, this isn't the performance levels of the first few months on the season, we need to pick up a lot of points in the next 5 games if we are to qualify for Europe.

To make it to Europe, let’s just keep every game at a time. 
Now we only have to think of Leicester (and hope other results to come our way). 
If we started thinking from now, we’ll definitely think it’s hard. Just win one at a time and see where you are. 
I used to say that at the beginning of the season and I still do. 
For me, all teams apart from City (and possibly Chelsea) won’t be far from our reach (if we continued doing well). So it’s critical if we could stop Leicester, while United lose too and whoever below. 
We still have another huge challenges apart from the weekly games, we play Everton and Spurs twice. It could either benefit us or the other way round. 
However, if we were with reach it might help us playing them directly at the end of the season. 
A lot of things to think of, but once at a time and hopefully we all celebrate going to Europe. 

• Like 1

I still think that if we manage to finish in the top half we will have made great progress. There isn't a cat in hells chance of us finishing in the top 6 this season. I would be amazed if we win any of our next two games tbh and think 2 points would be an impressive return. 

We are at least a season too early for this thread and our recent form shows that. When did we last get back to back wins? Because to make Europe, you need to win consistently, something we just do don't do. 

I predicted somewhere between 10th and 12th this season and I still think that's accurate. I'll be optimistic and go for 10th. 

The league's wide open, of course it's possible for us to make Europe. From the expectation level in the summer to where we are right now, we're doing really well. If we fall a bit short this season, I'm sure we'll get there next year - not worried in the slightest. 

West Ham and Chelsea are the only ones being consistent of late and are right up there now because of it.

We still have the games in hand but our performances have dipped. But whilst we still know how to keep clean sheets, there’s always the foundation to go and win games. Definitely need to pull a shock out the bag this weekend though. Just dont think we match up well with our next 2 opponents. 2 losses and we could be looking at bottom half so hopefully we get something.

Everton have City and Liverpool next 2

West Ham have Spurs and City next 2

Arsenal have City and Leicester next 2

Teams around us have tough games too, so if we can get a big performance or 2 now we’d be in a great position.

Edited by BleedClaretAndBlue
  • Like 1