The Race for Europe 20/21

GingerCollins29

On 02/05/2021 at 14:36, Vive_La_Villa said:

Finishing above Wolves and Arsenal, 2 top 7 teams over the last 2 seasons would be very satisfying.

I’d throw Leeds in there too. Not because they have done anything special, just because I don’t like Leeds.

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Next season we need to be challenging for the European spots.

Not saying i expect us to finish in the top 6 but we should be challenging.

Yep.  Assuming investment and we stay relatively healthy, I’d think we’d all be happy with 55-60 points.  Anything above that is a legitimate challenger for top 4, anything below that is a similar season to this.  

bringing in another creative distributor to take that pressure off jack is so important.

1 minute ago, Paulie said:

Yep.  Assuming investment and we stay relatively healthy, I’d think we’d all be happy with 55-60 points.  Anything above that is a legitimate challenger for top 4, anything below that is a similar season to this.  

bringing in another creative distributor to take that pressure off jack is so important.

I think a DM is more important. Don't like the look of our current midfield at all.

Not the right balance.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Next season we need to be challenging for the European spots.

Not saying i expect us to finish in the top 6 but we should be challenging.

I will hold my determination until I see our investment the summer.  I have no reason to expect it to be poor but until then and who we buy it’s hard to say.  Challenging the top six is a major step when you know that City, United, Leicester, Chelsea and Liverpool have such an advantage for the top five in terms of squad already, probable investment likely and already experience. Then there is a big bunch of teams afterwards like West Ham, Spurs, Arsenal and Everton that are established and likely to spend again.  So we need to invest and get the right talent in because even with another season under their belt, this current squad is a mid table team at best.

No reason why we can't finish above Everton next season given what I've seen in the two matches over last two weeks.

They could still easily finish 7th so that's the standard right there.

Way I look at it we sign two really good players in the summer for final third and I think we can be fighting for 7th-8th next season.

To be any higher we'd have to sign even better than last summer and two incredible transfer windows on the trot feels very un Aston Villa like but I remain in hope.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I will hold my determination until I see our investment the summer.  I have no reason to expect it to be poor but until then and who we buy it’s hard to say.  Challenging the top six is a major step when you know that City, United, Leicester, Chelsea and Liverpool have such an advantage for the top five in terms of squad already, probable investment likely and already experience. Then there is a big bunch of teams afterwards like West Ham, Spurs, Arsenal and Everton that are established and likely to spend again.  So we need to invest and get the right talent in because even with another season under their belt, this current squad is a mid table team at best.

Yeah that's why i said challenging. We should be in the mix with the likes of Everton, Arsenal, Leeds and West Ham next season

I expect us to make another 2-3 quality signings this summer

What i will say though is things will be very different once fans return and home games will actually give you an advantage again.

9 hours ago, nick76 said:

Not just investment, whist I doubt it will happen, if jack were to leave we'd probably need a season to rebuild 

• Like 1

I know that it’s offensive to some on here to say positive things about Leeds but they are a very good side. Just watching them against Burnley and there are three areas that set them aside to us. They have the capability to dominate in the centre of the pitch which enables them to dominate matches. They also have big, physical players who are not bullied by big teams like Burnley. Finally, every single one of their players is a top athlete who could run all day long.

We really need to address these things in the summer. We have good players but not enough variety. If Leeds had Ollie they would be serious contenders for top 6. I expect them to address that in the summer so we need to address our weaknesses too or they will finish further ahead of us next season.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

I know that it’s offensive to some on here to say positive things about Leeds but they are a very good side. Just watching them against Burnley and there are three areas that set them aside to us. They have the capability to dominate in the centre of the pitch which enables them to dominate matches. They also have big, physical players who are not bullied by big teams like Burnley. Finally, every single one of their players is a top athlete who could run all day long.

We really need to address these things in the summer. We have good players but not enough variety. If Leeds had Ollie they would be serious contenders for top 6. I expect them to address that in the summer so we need to address our weaknesses too or they will finish further ahead of us next season.

posts brian GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

Leeds is a direct competitor to us in the coming seasons for those european spots as long as Bielsa is there whether we like it or not.

Even more crucial that we have another excellent summer window.

looks like top 10 is out of the question for us now.

Even if we our game in hand tomorrow, we would still be 1 point behind Leeds with Chelsea and Spurs still to play!

On balance looks like we are aiming for an 11th place finish!

13 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Even if we our game in hand tomorrow, we would still be 1 point behind Leeds with Chelsea and Spurs still to play!

Only got ourselves to blame.

Losing to a 10 man Sheffield United. Only drawing against Newcastle and Brighton. Losing to Burnley.

17 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Not worried about Spurs, actually backed wolves today at 5/1, crazy price. Also think Chelsea will have both eyes on The Champions League Final 

6 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Not worried about Spurs, actually backed wolves today at 5/1, crazy price. Also think Chelsea will have both eyes on The Champions League Final 

Also have their eyes on qualifying for the Champions League...

12 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Also have their eyes on qualifying for the Champions League...

Think it will be sealed by then, Hopefully they finish 5th but win the champions league just to see the scouser crying because they finished 4th but missed out :crylaugh:

26 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Think it will be sealed by then, Hopefully they finish 5th but win the champions league just to see the scouser crying because they finished 4th but missed out :crylaugh:

It would be funny, still some interesting permutations. 

Not sure whether I prefer Chelski with 2 Champions Leagues or Manure City with their first...

1 hour ago, Kingman said:

Don't think Chelsea can qualify for top 4 before final day unless Liverpool lose v West Brom or Burnley so very likely they'll come here needing a win so it will be their full strength team v us.