The Race for Europe 20/21

GingerCollins29

West Ham, Leicester, Everton and Man Utd, all might start losing points soon. Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea could also be dropping points. It’s not that team or that. We have to look at all of these teams results and hope for the best. Arsenal on the other hand could complete their good form and start climbing the table. 
As I kept saying, we now have a cup final in Sheffield Utd game, win it and hope for other results to be as we’d like then think of next game.  
If we look at our games it will all be tricky, 

WBA, Fulham have all improved. Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd, Everton and Spurs (twice each) are all 6 pointers. 
Then you have Wolves, Palace which won’t be easy. 
Man City will be a bonus anyway. 

Let’s take it step by step and think of what in front of us.

2 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

The fact we’re still even in the conversation is credit to everyone at the club. Our squad is tiny in comparison to those fighting for these places

We really shouldn't  be in the equation with the likes of Spurs with Son, Kane and Bale up front

10 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Imagine Sheffield beat Liverpool, wouldn’t that be glorious!

I think Liverpool will be too much for them

Liverpool will also draw huge confidence from the weekend's results

Edited by villalad21

5 hours ago, PaulC said:

We need to take care of our own results and not bother about other teams do. 

True but it's always interesting plenty around us dropping points which will mean points total for 6th/7th can say drop from 65 points needed to perhaps 60/61 points.

A few weeks back people were coming up with final tables that had us finishing about 10th on 68 points so that's levelled off a bit.

Think 6 wins would give us a very good shot of finishing 8th as a minimum and we are well capable of that.

4 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I fear Spuds and Arse will have better form than us in the run-in. 

We are still in with an outside chance but it's a pity for our sakes Wet Spam are having such a good season.

Still think we'll end up tenth.

I'm still confident we'll finish above Arsenal and as said a few hours back I think Spurs will properly concentrate on europa in run in (you only have to look at what Mourinho did at Man. United in 16/17 as a guide).

Worth remembering aswell that Spurs won't just finish above us beating likes of Spurs. They still have to play likes of Everton and Leicester before end of the season while Arsenal got Liverpool, Everton, West Ham so good for us if they take some points off those. Arsenal and Spurs also play each other in two weeks.

Unless the formula is everyone above or around us beats everyone they're expected to and we don't but given our general form for 90% of the season I think we've earnt more trust from the fanbase than that.

Edited by VillaChris

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

We really shouldn't  be in the equation with the likes of Spurs with Son, Kane and Bale up front

Spurs defence and midfield really isn't better than what we've got though so that's levelled things out and Grealish obviously been miles better than Bale and arguably not far off the level of Son since xmas who's had a dip from the ridiculous standards he had in the first three months of the season.

We're not the first surprise package who's massively overperformed in a season. Sheffield United were doing this exactly 12 months back so just got to keep going and see where it takes you as who knows when the league will open up again like this for us.

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I'm still confident we'll finish above Arsenal and as said a few hours back I think Spurs will properly concentrate on europa in run in (you only have to look at what Mourinho did at Man. United in 16/17 as a guide).

Worth remembering aswell that Spurs won't just finish above us beating likes of Spurs. They still have to play likes of Everton and Leicester before end of the season while Arsenal got Liverpool, Everton, West Ham so good for us if they take some points off those. Arsenal and Spurs also play each other in two weeks.

Unless the formula is everyone above or around us beats everyone they're expected to and we don't but given our general form for 90% of the season I think we've earnt more trust from the fanbase than that.

Man Utd, Chelsea drew. West Ham, Leicester lost. Spurs, Arsenal won. Liverpool and Everton not yet. If those two failed to win then it’s really a great weekend. Capitalize against Sheff Utd, and everything is possible.

1 minute ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Man Utd, Chelsea drew. West Ham, Leicester lost. Spurs, Arsenal won. Liverpool and Everton not yet. If those two failed to win then it’s really a great weekend. Capitalize against Sheff Utd, and everything is possible.

Key is getting 7 points from our next 3 which should be achieveable if we play well. Feels like this season when we've got really close to establishing ourself in top 6 we've thrown in a Leeds or Southampton home performance or in more recent times West Ham which has set us back for a few weeks.

I'm pretty confident for Sheffield United and Newcastle but Wolves is banana skin game as they've improved in recent weeks and we need to be careful not to leave too much space given we're at home and will probably push forward more than we did at Molineux.

Interesting week ahead though where we can really squeeze the table getting another 4 points on the board. One of Chelsea/Liverpool is certain to drop points and can see West Brom getting something off Everton.

We're actully on six more points than Sheffield United had at this stage last season, and five more points than Wolves had, who like us were in their second season. Going back a couple of seasons to when Burnley finished seventh, they were on thirty-four points after twenty-four games. Which I think suggests that there's not much more that can be asked of us at this point other than to just hope we can keep our form up, if we do but still fail to make it then it will be down to the standards of the teams around us being higher than usual, rather than any failing on our own part.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Spurs defence and midfield really isn't better than what we've got though so that's levelled things out and Grealish obviously been miles better than Bale and arguably not far off the level of Son since xmas who's had a dip from the ridiculous standards he had in the first three months of the season.

We're not the first surprise package who's massively overperformed in a season. Sheffield United were doing this exactly 12 months back so just got to keep going and see where it takes you as who knows when the league will open up again like this for us.

Grealish yes but if Bale is back to anywhere near his old level and is able to sustain it we cant compete with their attack. Our midfield has been poor but our defence has been exceptional, better than spurs. 

Edited by PaulC

10 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

If someone told me we'd be 6 points off 4th with 2 games in hand after 24 games in our second season back in the PL in 2019, I'd have looked at them like they needed to be put in an asylum.

And if someone told you at the end of last season that we’ll be chasing West Ham for a European place (well a CL place which they’re at) then it’s more ridiculous. 

• Haha 1