The Race for Europe 20/21

GingerCollins29

38 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Everton, West Ham and Chelsea should win their games. A draw would be a good result for us in the LFC-LFC game. Man City should handle Spurts.

Yeah a draw would be good for Liverpool/Leicester, especially as we have Leicester next with a chance to reel them in even closer. I really think it's Leicester's 4th spot to lose. We'll have to duke it out with Everton, Chelsea, West Ham and Spurs for it though.

37 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I'd love a rematch with Celta Vigo again. Are they still in La Liga?

Still remember the atmosphere vs Atletico Madrid in 1998, was absolutely eclectic and deafening, place would have exploded if Hendrie put away that late chance to win the tie 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Still remember the atmosphere vs Atletico Madrid in 1998, was absolutely eclectic and deafening, place would have exploded if Hendrie put away that late chance to win the tie 

Still gives me goosebumps whenever that pops up on Twitter or somewhere. Stan loves sharing it! Loved that white kit too. Why were we in white?! I’m too young to remember! 

It's crazy to me that we're in February and you can look at the table and genuinely say we have a chance for Europe. This season has gone far above my expectations. 

Unfortunately, I just think we're a bit too inconsistent and in the end we'll fall short. It seems whenever we're close we lose and then have to start again. 

Unless we lose every single game from now until the end, whatever happens it's been an absolutely fantastic season imo.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Celta and Atletico playing at this very moment...

• Like 1

Any one else feel like the fixtures have fallen really well for us this season? Just took a look at the end of the season fixtures, and about 6 of the last 8 are against teams towards the top of the league. Hopefully we are in a position to make them big, meaningful games.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

I'd love a rematch with Celta Vigo again. Are they still in La Liga?

Drew 2-2 with Atletico Madrid an hour ago although they tend to be bottom half and just about staying up so more like us from 2011-15 than our 90s version if you compare them to us. They did actually get to europa SFs in 2017 and narrowly lost to Man. United.

Deportivo La Coruna are now in Spanish verison of league one if you want to know what happened to them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Still gives me goosebumps whenever that pops up on Twitter or somewhere. Stan loves sharing it! Loved that white kit too. Why were we in white?! I’m too young to remember! 

Wasn't it a special euro kit, we played in it aswell at home to Steaua Bucharest. Prefered it to the awful Blue away kit we had in the prem that season. I loved that run, Bilbao finished 2nd that season and Bordeaux won french league in 98/99 so we knocked out some strong teams.

Full match is here:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Wasn't it a special euro kit, we played in it aswell at home to Steaua Bucharest. Prefered it to the awful Blue away kit we had in the prem that season. I loved that run, Bilbao finished 2nd that season and Bordeaux won french league in 98/99 so we knocked out some strong teams.

Full match is here:

At 84 mins in the game is that Klopp? And I blame this exit all on Pecker nose. Surprised he didn't have his waistcoat on.

People are complaining about the squad, but in reality, we have a reasonable squad. It’s just we’re not using most. Next season we can add whats needed if we’re in Europe. If you want good players to fill the squad then you need to rotate. To ensure that, having extra fixtures will help that case.

As I always say, let’s take it step by step. A huge game against Brighton. Win that and I can see other teams failing to get points. A gift from Bruce would be great. Even Man Utd games would still be important. 

• Like 1

The last great European night we had was ajax

Ill never forget that year with atheltico madrid when collymore scored and the roof almost came off villa park. Imagine we scored again and went through? There would be no roof left at vp

Just now, villalad21 said:

Leeds well in the race now. 3 points off us only.

Could be a real six pointer in our upcoming game at Elland Road.

I was looking at this 5 mins ago, we can't lose to those scumbags! We are 3 points ahead with a game in hand. We are 9th they are 10th, lose that 🤢

10 hours ago, Hornso said:

Would everyone still want to be in Europe next season if you were still unable to attend games?

i think it's different from a cup. for me a cup is pointless if fans are not at the final to witness it

europe however will enable us to attract a better calibre of player in the summer, plus holding on to jack for a while longer

but it would be devastating to see us lining up with the champions league music echoing around an empty villa park

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i think it's different from a cup. for me a cup is pointless if fans are not at the final to witness it

europe however will enable us to attract a better calibre of player in the summer, plus holding on to jack for a while longer

but it would be devastating to see us lining up with the champions league music echoing around an empty villa park

I would love to be back at villa park, but I genuinely think we wouldn’t be in this position if fans where at villa park groaning at every backwards pass, players like Jack and Mings ,Mcginn thrived under the pressure but the new boys buckled and couldn’t cope