The Race for Europe 20/21

GingerCollins29

17 hours ago, PaulC said:

You wouldn't get very good odds other wise yes 

Generally 9/1 - 10/1 to finish Top 4 with most firms

9/4 - 5/2 to finish Top 6 

5/1 - 6/1 W/O Sky 6 (so basically have to finish above Leicester, Everton, West Ham) 

Or if you feel lucky, 80/1 Top 2 or 500/1 Champions :flag:

w/o Big 6

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Whatever happens this season we better not qualify for that 3rd tier joke competition. Nightmare outcome that would be. 

i disagree with that

we would need to manage it to our advantage, if we are playing Jablonec at home then thats Barry, Kesler and Chuk, it would provide a softer step up than the U23s to the PL, it could be really useful as a mechanism of bringing this youth team through, like arsenal, man utd and chelsea did with the EL

2018 arsenal beat vorskla 3-0 away from home in a dead rubber, 5 youth team players in the starting 11 and 5 more on the bench, next game they played Qarabag at home in another dead rubber, 3 youth team players in the starting 11 and 4 on the bench, even Martinez got a game

• Like 4

I think its Champions League or nothing, the 2 other competitions are not worth the hassle at this stage. The season could easily be as disrupted as this season we will be travelling all over Eastern Europe and would drastically need to improve our squad which will result in panic buys i think

It wont be beneficial for the fans either as i dont see European away trips being allowed either

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

the winner gets around £20m

the CL winner gets around £100m...the english clubs get circa £40m just for turning up to the group stages of the CL

you cant have that kind of disparity and then still claim that the EL is a meaningful tournament 

if you get 3 far flung eastern european teams in the EL group stage then you can lose money in the EL, im sure either boro of fulham when they had a decent run in the competition said they just about broke even

But even £10m extra TV & prize money for progressing through a few rounds is massive for Villa.    That’s almost 10% of our total turnover.

Add in a couple of home games for £2m more, extra sponsorship value, being able to attract slightly better players, more recognition overseas, more branding opportunities... and the benefit to Villa is massive.

I'd be quite content if we were in the mix for champions League, although saying that it'd be shit to lose out but that'd be a tremendous effort. Champions League should be the aim this year just to ensure we don't tail off like how some teams do, a la Crystal Palace.

If we fall shy then we'd still have had an amazing year. Europa would be a good 2nd prize.

Edited by supermon
  • Like 1

Question is do we have the squad size to play European football if it's not a competition we want to be in. Europa League is a much better competition now than it was when it first came in. You've lots of good sides in there now. We could manage our first team squad in Prem / Europa and leave the EFL Cup for the development. The problem of being in a European Competition we don't want to be in as it is valueless is the logistics involved (often more difficult logistics of flying further to Azerbijan etc..) for matches. We would keep our First team away from it but we'd split our Premier League squad preparing for these games. That will impact the team where the primary focus is the next Premier League game, except some of the squad are focussed and travelling to somewhere in Europe. 

Europa League we'd take seriously and we'd bring the Premier League squad and often field the first team.  I feel for these reasons this 3rd European competition is just a bad bad thing if we qualify. 

59 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Generally 9/1 - 10/1 to finish Top 4 with most firms

9/4 - 5/2 to finish Top 6 

5/1 - 6/1 W/O Sky 6 (so basically have to finish above Leicester, Everton, West Ham) 

Or if you feel lucky, 80/1 Top 2 or 500/1 Champions :flag:

w/o Big 6

10/1 champions league is rubbish odds so laying that would be decent

5 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Any talk of not wanting European football next season seems a bit strange to me.

Yes there's are logistical problems, squad depth problems and the potential for a dip in PL form. But Europe should be where every team is striving for; regardless of which of the three tournaments it is. It's pretty unlikely that we are going to waltz straight into the Champions League.

Squad depth will be an issue, but we have some young hungry players and owners willing to back us in the transfer market to enable us to have a go on all fronts. The extra pulling power European football will give us would make a massive difference in the transfer window as well.

If we want to push on to the next stage, bring quality players in, and keep those we have got then Europe is the next step; whether its this season or not.

yep agree.    It also get out European co-efficient started, plus the main prize for winning the Europa is a place in next years Champions League.

53 minutes ago, ender4 said:

But even £10m extra TV & prize money for progressing through a few rounds is massive for Villa.    That’s almost 10% of our total turnover.

Add in a couple of home games for £2m more, extra sponsorship value, being able to attract slightly better players, more recognition overseas, more branding opportunities... and the benefit to Villa is massive.

oh of course, id happily play in any european competition we can get a sniff at and id want us to do well in it

my comment was more in general aimed at UEFA trying to "fix" the competition that is broken because of them and probably breaking it even further, it is a shit competition, its their ginger step child

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PaulC said:

10/1 champions league is rubbish odds so laying that would be decent

I think generally these days odds on any betting market are generally quite poor in some events.

At the start of the season we were 10/1 for a top half finish, which is looking like easy money now.

I think the 10/1 on offer for a top 4 finish is not too bad either considering we are 5 points behind Liverpool with 2 games in hand as it stands. Tempting for some..

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I think generally these days odds on any betting market are generally quite poor in some events.

At the start of the season we were 10/1 for a top half finish, which is looking like easy money now.

I think the 10/1 on offer for a top 4 finish is not too bad either considering we are 5 points behind Liverpool with 2 games in hand as it stands. Tempting for some..

I agree bit of value about, We win or 2 games in hand then we are Top 4 and that 10/1 will of been mopped up into circa 4's 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

This Weekends fixtures:

Leicester City v Liverpool

Man City v Spurs

Brighton v Villa

Everton v Fulham

West Ham v Sheffield Utd

Chelsea v Newcastle Utd

Everton, West Ham and Chelsea should win their games. A draw would be a good result for us in the LFC-LFC game. Man City should handle Spurts.

2 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Man, I just would like to see Villa play in Europe, no matter the competition.

I'd love a rematch with Celta Vigo again. Are they still in La Liga?