The Race for Europe 20/21

GingerCollins29

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

My main concern is that we've only had one particularly good half of football (Burnley 1st half) since we've come back from Covid.

We were fine against Man City too. Possibly one of their best opponents recently. We scored early against Arsenal so we were ok. It’s second half of Burnley, Southampton and Brighton which we were rubbish. Yet 4 points in return. 
Forgot about West Ham, I could add it to Brighton too, although we were a bit better, as we’ve gifted them most goals.

On 16/02/2021 at 12:03, ender4 said:

really need to get 3 points from either Leeds or Leicester to stay in contention for Europe.

I'd be more than happy with two draws tbh. Everton got Man. City, liverpool and Chelsea in next 4 games so we shouldn't lose too much ground on them and West Ham got Spurs, Man. City and Man united so hopefully we can stay in touch.

March is the make or break month I think with Wolves, Newcastle and perhaps Sheffield United all in one go and then Spurs to try to take points off another top 8 rival.

If we can be in this sort of position going into the last 10 games from start of April it's going to be very interesting run in.

• Like 1

On 16/02/2021 at 08:18, One For The Road said:

I still think that if we manage to finish in the top half we will have made great progress. There isn't a cat in hells chance of us finishing in the top 6 this season. I would be amazed if we win any of our next two games tbh and think 2 points would be an impressive return. 

We are at least a season too early for this thread and our recent form shows that. When did we last get back to back wins? Because to make Europe, you need to win consistently, something we just do don't do. 

I predicted somewhere between 10th and 12th this season and I still think that's accurate. I'll be optimistic and go for 10th. 

Good enough to finish above Southampton yet?😉

We are still doing o.k even if performance levels have dipped for various reasons. Our defence has actually kept clean sheets in 4 of the last 6 games so bar the odd poor half at Burnley or West Ham (when Emi just chucked two in) that's given us the base to pick up 0-0s and 1-0s again which we were doing start of the season.

Losing 5-6 straight like Southampton have done has basically finished their season now bar making sure they don't get dragged into late relegation battle so we need to avoid that and we've got some winnable fixtures in March.

Next two are very tough for differing reasons. I'd be more than happy with two draws aswell just to keep things ticking over.

A few of the top 9 play each other this weekend (Liverpool-Everton, West Ham-Spurs, Arsenal-Man City), so even if we lose we could still keep in touching distance of a Europa spot. Will be yet another chance to make progress tho so let’s hope we finally take one of these chances.

11 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

A few of the top 9 play each other this weekend (Liverpool-Everton, West Ham-Spurs, Arsenal-Man City), so even if we lose we could still keep in touching distance of a Europa spot. Will be yet another chance to make progress tho so let’s hope we finally take one of these chances.

Two draws and a Man City win would be great. If we can win with Chelsea and Utd failing to win too then it would get really interesting!

Yes we would have had to stay remarkably lucky with injuries to have kept up the pace this season.  I can only really see us drifting towards mid-table now.  It might be worth using the rest of this season to integrate Sanson, Ramsey and perhaps a couple of other youth players into the team.   If we can add two or three of them plus have another good summer window then we will have a better chance of getting into Europe.

I actually think Everton winning for first time in 20 years at Anfield was much worse for us than anything we did this weekend. We'd only be 1 point off 7th still if they'd lost given Spurs also losing.

Everton got Southampton at home next weekend so potential for them to start moving clear like West Ham have done in last few weeks.

It's not over...but top 6 is starting to look distant as all it would take is Liverpool to win a couple and they'll start to break away from teams below.

If we start putting out decent 11s from the start I still think we should be capable of draws v Wolves and Leeds and beating Sheffield United and Newcastle so 8 points from next 4 games would certainly keep us in the conversation and maybe even move us up a place in the league.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1