The Race for Europe 20/21

GingerCollins29

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

The last great European night we had was ajax

Ill never forget that year with atheltico madrid when collymore scored and the roof almost came off villa park. Imagine we scored again and went through? There would be no roof left at vp

Really 😄

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, supermon said:

That Ajax game was amazing, the atmosphere was buzzing. Didn't laursen score a header. Was that then followed up by that abysmal Celta Vigo performance

No Ajax was a group game We beat Slavia Prague away next but then lost at home to Zilina (Delfouneso scored for us) and Hamburg away but qualified in 3rd place

We then famously lost to CSKA Moscow over 2 legs in the last 32 round

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, paul514 said:

It isn't outrageous, I just don't think we will do it and it's the absolute minimum needed.

For instance maybe:

Wins  Brighton a Wolves h Newcastle a Sheff Utd a Fulham h WBA h Palace a

Draws Leicester h Everton a Chelsea h spurs h

Defeats Leeds a Liverpool a Man City h Man Utd h Spurs a Everton a

Obviously results may be way different to that but it is a nice sign of how it could turn out

16 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Wasn't it a special euro kit, we played in it aswell at home to Steaua Bucharest. Prefered it to the awful Blue away kit we had in the prem that season. I loved that run, Bilbao finished 2nd that season and Bordeaux won french league in 98/99 so we knocked out some strong teams.

Full match is here:

This wasn't broadcast in the USA so sadly I couldn't watch it until it was uploaded on Youtube. Great stuff. I noticed the announcer said "Formerly the Holte End, now called the Holte Stand". WTF

I forgot how many small players we had- Nelson, Wright, Joachim, Hendrie.

Yorke, Collymore and Milosevic upfront, wowzers.

The roar of the crowd whenever we drove forward is something to behold. That goal must be Stan's career highlight. Great goal.

Why the away white kit at home?

John Gregory was the man

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pintpotvilla said:

No Ajax was a group game We beat Slavia Prague away next but then lost at home to Zilina (Delfouneso scored for us) and Hamburg away but qualified in 3rd place

We then famously lost to CSKA Moscow over 2 legs in the last 32 round

Cska we played a full team at VP. Not sure what idiot MON was trying to do 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, paul514 said:

It isn't outrageous, I just don't think we will do it and it's the absolute minimum needed.

We just need to keep beating most of the bottom half and then getting a win or two off teams around us which we've been doing most of the season. Whichever 2-3 teams do that for rest of the season will finish 5-7th.

Start dropping points to likes of Fulham and West Brom and task becomes far more difficult.

Only thing I worry about now is season ending injury to key player but then we're due some good luck continuing on that front after the bad hand we were deal in December and January last season.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, maqroll said:

This wasn't broadcast in the USA so sadly I couldn't watch it until it was uploaded on Youtube. Great stuff. I noticed the announcer said "Formerly the Holte End, now called the Holte Stand". WTF

The roar of the crowd whenever we drove forward is something to behold. That goal must be Stan's career highlight. Great goal.

John Gregory was the man

Hendrie had an amazing second half, the potential clinching third he nearly scored would've topped off his MOTM performance. He had a good career for us but when you see him play like that at 19 or 20 it could've been better. Pearce couldn't stop going on about how good Dwight Yorke was in second half even though he missed a pretty easy chance from six yards when he headed against the crossbar. Think that was game though that convinced Man. United to sign him.

Bad miss from Kiko aswell last 5 minutes which I hadn't seen before.

55 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Cska we played a full team at VP. Not sure what idiot MON was trying to do 

Well to be honest we got played off the pitch at VP and were dead lucky to draw 1-1 so the chances of getting through on a plastic pitch

in Moscow even with a full team was pretty slim. We had a home game with Stoke on the Saturday which I should think M'ON prioritized

However as we know we threw a 2 goal lead away then too and fade away from the prized top 4 place

Edited by pintpotvilla

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

John Gregory was the man

I loved that team so much. The period of around 96-99 was my favourite time supporting Villa. Just so many characters in the team

• Like 1

5 hours ago, paul514 said:

We are going to need at least 60 points I think to get into the Europa League, I don't see it happening personally.

Our current ppg would see us land on 63.

Bare in mind, we have also had a mini slump, so to speak.

We SHOULD get better from here.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

John Gregory was the man

I thought Little was still manager at that stage - it must have been one of Gregory's first few games. Was disappointing that Little couldn't keep things going. The 90s were strange - we were flipping between relegation and the title in the space of a season or two and then back again.

37 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Not sure of the best place to put this. It's a fascinating read. Give yourself 10 mins to read it.

Nothing in there that will shock anyone (everything through Grealish etc) but it explains why we do what we do.

Thought this was an outstanding read - really interesting. Lots of stuff I hadn't noticed and I found the section on our 1st, 2nd, 3rd passes etc particularly fascinating.

We feel so well drilled this year, a really well coached side. So exciting.

Edited by doaflip

43 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Not sure of the best place to put this. It's a fascinating read. Give yourself 10 mins to read it.

Nothing in there that will shock anyone (everything through Grealish etc) but it explains why we do what we do.

Cheers! Interesting section on Barkley.

That leaves the ever divisive Ross Barkley, who has been extremely Barkley-esque in his in his first season as full-time attacking midfielder since his Everton days. He can thread through nice passes from that number 10 spot and has already built up a healthy rapport with his fellow attackers. But, you know, at 27-years-old you're locked into a certain player with him at this point. The iffy shot choices, the alternating between brilliant dribbles through the middle of the pitch and losing the ball in bizarre ways - it's all part of the Ross experience.

All rather spot on to me. For me, Ross is more worthy of the sublime to the ridiculous tag than Bert (that some like to label him with).