The Race for Europe 20/21

GingerCollins29

56 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Not sure of the best place to put this. It's a fascinating read. Give yourself 10 mins to read it.

Nothing in there that will shock anyone (everything through Grealish etc) but it explains why we do what we do.

For me the type of chances we have limited most teams to stands out. We haven't given up many easy chances this season. We definitely need to keep the ball better though and another threat other than Jack is needed.

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

We just need to keep beating most of the bottom half and then getting a win or two off teams around us which we've been doing most of the season. Whichever 2-3 teams do that for rest of the season will finish 5-7th.

Start dropping points to likes of Fulham and West Brom and task becomes far more difficult.

Only thing I worry about now is season ending injury to key player but then we're due some good luck continuing on that front after the bad hand we were deal in December and January last season.

People are basically coming out with your rational, I see it. I just don't feel that we will get the required points at a minimum of 60 maybe as high as 65 based on how the team has played for the last couple of months.

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Our current ppg would see us land on 63.

Bare in mind, we have also had a mini slump, so to speak.

We SHOULD get better from here.

The games in the last month or so of the campaign are no joke, we will know if we have a good chance on April 4th as the games after that are pretty horrible.

• Like 1

Europa would hurt us next season to be honest.

I don't think it brings in enough money or attention for the damage it does to your league prospects.

It'll be exciting to leap into it so quickly, I'll enjoy the ride if we do make it. However I honestly think next season, if we have another summer like this one there's no reason at all we can't have a right go at the top 4. 

No reason we can't go past Spurs, Everton, West Ham (that goes for this season as well) and Utd are a weak, inconsistent lot.

10 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

So some are happy that we are out of the cup competitions and don't want to get into Europe. Why even follow a football club?

People want to win trophies but Europe can wait as its the wrong season. Spurs are falling apart physically from the european trips and games and its just halfway through the season.

Next season wont be different in terms of schedule. The Europa League format was created so upper midtable clubs cant challenge for leagues 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, paul514 said:

People are basically coming out with your rational, I see it. I just don't feel that we will get the required points at a minimum of 60 maybe as high as 65 based on how the team has played for the last couple of months.

That's fair. I guess if you look back to the 08/09 we had about 50 points by middle of February IIRC so the task was pretty straighforward to get top 4 then in need another 6/7 wins from about 15 games and we failed to get it pretty spectacularly when you look at how bad our run in actually was.

One problem then was losing Laursen who sadly never came back and our defensive stats fell off a cliff in the second half of that season so another bad injury to one of our key players could impact in similar fashion.

Difference to those times is lack of pressure now. No fans in ground and generally we're seen as big underdog compared to pretty much every other team above us in the league so can play with freedom and see how far that takes us compare to late 2000s when with the spending it was expected we'd make top 4 at some stage.

22 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I don't think it brings in enough money or attention for the damage it does to your league prospects.

It'll be exciting to leap into it so quickly, I'll enjoy the ride if we do make it. However I honestly think next season, if we have another summer like this one there's no reason at all we can't have a right go at the top 4. 

No reason we can't go past Spurs, Everton, West Ham (that goes for this season as well) and Utd are a weak, inconsistent lot.

I do think that is a worry,  I assume we would be better prepared for the challenge this time next season with the upcoming window behind us and another to come before starting the competition.
You need real quality throughout the squad to be able to play so many games.

There is no way we are qualifying for europe with the bench that we have and the nature of the last 10 games of the season we have to play

The club is 2 yrs ahead of its forecast anyway...we need to strengthen  in the summer and see how we get on when crowds are allowed back into the game

Edited by OLDVILLAIN

Getting into Europe will show that Villa are back and mean business.

Its a tall order but  so was getting into the Playoffs in 2019. 10 in a row and all that.

Last season was tough but we achieved the objective of staying up- just, and an unexpected cup final appearance.

Since the take over we have been consistently ahead of schedule so why not dream?

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2

On 09/02/2021 at 22:18, Tomaszk said:

Leicester seem to be coping just fine with it. 

If we qualified for Europe this season, then i'm pretty confident that our summer transfer plans would be adjusted accordingly to account for the extra games. 

For the first time in a long time, it seems we have plans for different scenarios and long-term planning.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Europe = progression

Europe = better chance of keeping Jack

Do I want us to qualify for Europe? Hell yes.

Jack himself said he wants us to do a European tour next season which implies he'll be here if we do. I don't care if it's the Europa League. Seeing Villa in Europe again will be awesome. Last time we were in it was 10 years ago when we got knocked out in the qualifying round by Rapid Vienna and we were playing our kids like Bannan and Weimann (who very soon after became important first team players ironically).