The Race for Europe 20/21

GingerCollins29

12 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I feel that the two threads of title race and relegation race are sadly and happily not going to apply to us - we're not winning the league and we aren't going down.

We ate definitely in the mix for Europe, an amazing achievement to be saying that in February.

Man City look to be running away with the league and everyone from 2nd downwards are having huge blips in form.

Usually, top 4 qualify for the champions league.

3 europa league places go to 5th place, fa cup winners and league cup winners.

If the cup winners are in the top 5, those two extra spots would go to 6th and 7th place.

I may be wrong on this, but an extra team will quslify for the european conference league - happy to be corrected.

Is it doable? Could we be on a european tour next year?

The 3rd Europa League spot now goes to the Uefa Conference League (great name), so there are still only 7 European spots. Hopefully we nab one, whichever tournament it is

• Like 2

Good thread @GingerCollins29

I definately think we are in with a decent chance of a European place, Exactly what European tournament we end up qualifying for remains to be seen but it is definately exciting times.

Anything from 3rd onwards is more than realistic as it stands.

I would be happy if we landed in any of the 3 competitions for next season considering where we have came from in the last few years. It would be a remarkable achievement!.

• Like 3

Get to 60 points and see where we are (hopefully with a few games left). Generally needed that for top 6 under MON and don't think it will be tally needed this season.

8 more wins and 1 draw needed so looking at games v Sheffield United, Fulham, West Brom, Brighton, Wolves, Palace, Newcastle as games we can win if we play and defend well. We beat 6 of them already this season. Then a case of beating another top team or two and we've already done that.

I don't think it's impossible to hit 65 points but we'd need luck with injuries and all that but one game a week schedule for two months should also help us.

Exciting run in methinks.

• Like 1

65 points is fifth place last season.

60 points would be sixth last season.

If we continue our form, sixty points is possible.

Who knows, we need Wet Spam to drop off though and Arse to continue their inconsistent form.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

65 points is fifth place last season.

60 points would be sixth last season.

If we continue our form, sixty points is possible.

Who knows, we need Wet Spam to drop off though and Arse to continue their inconsistent form.

And Chelsea to not improve with their new manager, Leicester to drop a few extra points, Everton to misfire and Villa to win their 2 games in hand and improve slightly on their first half form.

Then 4th is on! 😬😬😀😀

Yeah feels such a strange time in results that aiming for a 60+ points season and see where that leaves us in terms of European places.  

I’ll be delighted with a top ten season but given where we are now (four points above Arsenal in 10th with two games in hand) that it feels we can land in anywhere between 5th and 9th place.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

Good idea @GingerCollins29this thread! I honestly think we'll do it, and by that I mean top 4. We can beat the best but need to beat the rest and that has been our problem - that said I think we'll see this team accepting the challenge with pressure off and it'll be a thing of beauty. 

28 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Do you think the europa conference league will have s similar trophy to the peace cup - remember it being horrific

Well no because one of them is run by a cult-like organisation based on  fear and patronage- and the other one was run by the Moonies.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Well Liverpool in 4th are 5 points ahead and we have 2 games in hand 👀 (Everton and Spurs though) 

On a serious note, we need to go on a bit of a winning streak. 4 games in a row would really help us like we did at the start of the season winning 4 of 4. 

gonna be tough being against 12 men every game, ours lads will give it a go though