Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

48 minutes ago, allani said:

I still think we will play with a slightly narrower front 3 - with Watkins, Ings and Bailey all playing inside of the opposition full-backs and looking for Targett / Cash / Young to provide the width.  I don't think we are a team that will be attacking the byline to whip in crosses.  We're looking for our "wide" forwards to attack the top corners of the box and get in shots / try to work a 1-2 with the "central" striker to fashion a chance.  So Ings or Watkins will not be "stuck out left".  I think Watkins will start on the left but be looking to attack the gap between the right full back and the right sided central defender.  Which is kind of what he was doing last season anyway.  However, I see Ings / Watkins / Bailey all inter-changing to keep the defenders on their toes.  They are all quick, good with the ball at their feet and able to get a shot away quickly.  They aren't all that great in the air.

I agree, but to do this that midfield three need to solid enough to be the platform for our attacks and the dam against opposition attacks, especially if the full backs have pushed on.

Not sure that is Marv, SJM or Douglas Luis.  We need a strong “6” and I could see McGinn, Luis and Sansom all serving as “8”s with Carney supporting

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Not a bad shout actually. I know people don't like him but he was superb for West Ham last year. 

Good player but I think he wants to stay at United? 

How about Dele Alli? 

Just now, Xela said:

Good player but I think he wants to stay at United? 

How about Dele Alli? 

His form fell off a cliff, plus his positioning is very rigid. It's free role attacking midfielder or nothing for him. And he's not the type to dictate play either, he's more about making runs behind the striker. Don't think he suits what we need right now. 

I think we'll sign one more, a midfielder.

Maybe it could be two if we shift El Ghazi. Would he harsh on him but JPB has shown enough in pre season that he and Ashley Young can provide depth there and we could probably command a reasonable fee for AEG, which could open up another space (and some more revenue) in the squad for a starter. I have to say I think it's unlikely though. 

What we would benefit from is real quality in that role to replace Jack (in as much as he can be replaced).

Not clear whether Buendia or Bailey are being earmarked for that given it's not their usual position and they've had no pre season. Maybe Buendia would suit it given he's so two footed - wouldn't need him to adapt his game significantly and he could drift inwards ala Jack. 

Think Bailey's game is more clearly suited to cutting in from the right, which is usually how Deano likes his wingers. 

Either way, definitely hope we're not planning on sticking Ollie out wide as he's so good at pressing the CBs and making runs off the shoulder.

We do look a bit unbalanced going forward with 3 first team quality players preferring RW, none preferring left, and two brilliant strikers. 

442 just isn't a formation I like, despite Watkins and Ings being a viable partnership, and history suggests Smith doesn't like it either, but you'd have to think they both start. 

I guess a decision for next week might be made easier if Watkins is out but could see us playing Ings as a deep forward/AM, Buendia (LW) and Bailey (RW) off Watkins when everyone is fit. 

DM the priority though certainly. A good signing there could be the difference between top 8 and bottom 8.

We do also ideally need to shift Conor, at least one of Wesley or Davis, either permanently or on loan, and a lot of our youth would benefit from going out for fifirst team football next season too. 

Could also see Fred and Dougie being sold if the right offers came in - but not sure they will. 

• Like 1

An interesting read up on Hasenhuttl

4-2-2-2 tactics … 

https://breakingthelines.com/tactical-analysis/tactical-analysis-ralph-hasenhuttls-southampton-2/

Hasenhüttl organises Saints in a 4-2-2-2 formation, a variant of the more traditional 4-4-2, although it reverts back to the 4-4-2 when out of possession. The main difference from the traditional 4-4-2 is that the wider midfielders, usually Stuart Armstrong and one of Nathan Redmond or Moussa Djenepo, tend to operate in and around the half spaces rather than staying high and wide, especially when in possession. This in turn allows the full-backs Ryan Bertrand and summer acquisition Kyle Walker-Peters to push forward and constantly offer width.

The strike partnership of Danny Ings and Ché Adams has been a fruitful one, having combined for 9 goals so far this term as well as four assists. However, Adams and Ings’ relentless work rate is just as impressive, with the duo setting the tempo to initiate Southampton’s aggressive pressing strategy, offering high-octane energy as well as situational intelligence to be aware of various pressing triggers.

The modern way to play 442… 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, macandally said:

I agree, but to do this that midfield three need to solid enough to be the platform for our attacks and the dam against opposition attacks, especially if the full backs have pushed on.

Not sure that is Marv, SJM or Douglas Luis.  We need a strong “6” and I could see McGinn, Luis and Sansom all serving as “8”s with Carney supporting

Agreed.  Although Buendia's defensive stats are almost as impressive as his attacking stats.  Plus Watkins and Ings are known to "put in a shift" too.  So I don't think that our midfield would be quite as isolated as it was last season.  However, I think our midfield is too samey at the moment and we need a proper leader in there.  To me that is the major issue we need to address - get that right and I think we can be real dark horses this season.  Get it wrong and I think we will come up just short as we'll have a spell where we drop too many silly points to keep pace.  But genuinely excited to be a Villa fan at the moment!

4 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Talk of the town in Frankfurt is that Villa are sniffing around Kamada

Kamada and Bissouma - the VillaTalk favourites. 

Mention them enough and eventually we'll get linked in the press by a lazy journalist ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Condimentalist said:

I think we'll sign one more, a midfielder.

Maybe it could be two if we shift El Ghazi. Would he harsh on him but JPB has shown enough in pre season that he and Ashley Young can provide depth there and we could probably command a reasonable fee for AEG, which could open up another space (and some more revenue) in the squad for a starter. I have to say I think it's unlikely though. 

What we would benefit from is real quality in that role to replace Jack (in as much as he can be replaced).

Not clear whether Buendia or Bailey are being earmarked for that given it's not their usual position and they've had no pre season. Maybe Buendia would suit it given he's so two footed - wouldn't need him to adapt his game significantly and he could drift inwards ala Jack. 

Think Bailey's game is more clearly suited to cutting in from the right, which is usually how Deano likes his wingers. 

Either way, definitely hope we're not planning on sticking Ollie out wide as he's so good at pressing the CBs and making runs off the shoulder.

We do look a bit unbalanced going forward with 3 first team quality players preferring RW, none preferring left, and two brilliant strikers. 

442 just isn't a formation I like, despite Watkins and Ings being a viable partnership, and history suggests Smith doesn't like it either, but you'd have to think they both start. 

I guess a decision for next week might be made easier if Watkins is out but could see us playing Ings as a deep forward/AM, Buendia (LW) and Bailey (RW) off Watkins when everyone is fit. 

DM the priority though certainly. A good signing there could be the difference between top 8 and bottom 8.

We do also ideally need to shift Conor, at least one of Wesley or Davis, either permanently or on loan, and a lot of our youth would benefit from going out for fifirst team football next season too. 

Could also see Fred and Dougie being sold if the right offers came in - but not sure they will. 

This is the problem and the reason why, currently, I don’t see us improving on last seasons finish. 

Still a bit of work to do in this window if the club has any chance of fighting for Europe next season. 

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

But why not? I’m positive we were going to spend around 80-90m this summer with Grealish here and now we’re just going to accept a profit and not push on?

Not for me. Tom Colomosse said we were after another attacking player and a defensive midfielder and that’s exactly what we’ll get. 

Then what on earth are you worried about?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

With what we have at present, how about this

Martinez

Cash               Konsa                    Mings             Targett

Nakamba

Buendia                       McGinn                     Bailey

Ings                       Watkins

What in the **** is this 😂😂

• Confused 1