Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Because we lost a world class player. As things stand, I don’t think we’re better than a team with Grealish in it. 

Buendia will more than make up for Grealish's output on his own. Although Jack provided that something different as well as excellent ball possession he also restricted us in some ways. For example he slowed the game down a lot and we rarely saw him playing killer through balls like buendia did against Walsall. For me we have lost in one way but gained in another, arguably to a greater extent, as the attacking threat is spread amongst more people. 

Edited by Made In Aston

I don’t think we’ve finished our business just yet. Also one thing makes me more optimistic about next season. As bad as losses were when we didn’t have Jack, all games were ok in terms of results. We didn’t lose by big numbers. We gave the best teams some good games (a Barkley miss from winning at Liverpool, Cash bad decision to give Man City a hard game). Our main problem was creativity, now we’re having Buendia, Bailey and Ings for that. 
When you look at it that way, you can be more optimistic. We need to to take the 14 games that Jack didn’t start on it’s own and compare it with what we’re doing now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

A ‘quite’ library or a ‘quiet’ library?

A quaint one, actually. Spelling is just all over the place. 

2 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

For who, Kesler?

Soz no Jonathan David … he’s currently represented by a small agency and he’s being touted around … 

Edited by thabucks

I just absolutely do not think we can be done. Buendia, for a start, was brought in to play alongside Grealish, I’m sure of it. 

If we’re done in an attacking sense then the club are going to be in for a shock this season when we’re scrapping around for a 10th place finish. All we’ve done is substituted our over reliance on Grealish to create something with Buendia. Who knows how Bailey will settle in. 

It just all seems so unbalanced. Buendia and Bailey both like to play on the right and Ings and Watkins both like to play through the middle. Don’t get me wrong, they’re all very good players and I’m glad we have them but I don’t think we’ll see massive improvement as a team until we actually replace Grealish. Our business will probably see us stand still, I can’t see it improving us. 

Our net spend is what, £-10m? We should have around another £70-90m to invest based on previous seasons and if we don’t go out and buy a quality left sided forward and a defensive midfielder then I think it will be a frustrating season. Our business has been good so far but we’re still short. El Ghazi, Traore and Nakamba can not be getting regular minutes this season if we want to progress. If we want to knock around in midtable then fine, but not if we want to actually crack the top 6/8.

Formation wise, again, unbalanced. We can’t play a 3-5-2 because I don’t know how you fit Bailey and Buendia in. 4-4-2 sees our midfield get massively overrun and in a 4-2-3-1 we don’t have anyone to play on the left and a defensive midfielder good enough to protect the back 4.

We can’t be done in the market yet. Like I say, we actually need to replace Grealish and buy a quality defensive midfielder. Otherwise, we do not improve and teams will come in and cherry pick our best players next summer. 

Slightly worried.

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Buendia will more than make up for Grealish's output on his own. Although Jack provided that something different as well as excellent ball possession he also restricted us in some ways. For example he slowed the game down a lot and we rarely saw him playing killer through balls like buendia did against Walsall. For me we have lost in one way but gained in another, arguably to a greater extent, as the attacking threat is spread amongst more people. 

I think Grealish slowed us down at some point around 2014/15. Slowing us down is definitely not a complaint I'd have levelled at Grealish the last three seasons. He also did some pretty amazing through balls.

Edited by Rolta

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

I just absolutely do not think we can be done. Buendia, for a start, was brought in to play alongside Grealish, I’m sure of it. 

If we’re done in an attacking sense then the club are going to be in for a shock this season when we’re scrapping around for a 10th place finish. All we’ve done is substituted our over reliance on Grealish to create something with Buendia. Who knows how Bailey will settle in. 

It just all seems so unbalanced. Buendia and Bailey both like to play on the right and Ings and Watkins both like to play through the middle. Don’t get me wrong, they’re all very good players and I’m glad we have them but I don’t think we’ll see massive improvement as a team until we actually replace Grealish. Our business will probably see us stand still, I can’t see it improving us. 

Our net spend is what, £-10m? We should have around another £70-90m to invest based on previous seasons and if we don’t go out and buy a quality left sided forward and a defensive midfielder then I think it will be a frustrating season. Our business has been good so far but we’re still short. El Ghazi, Traore and Nakamba can not be getting regular minutes this season if we want to progress. If we want to knock around in midtable then fine, but not it want to actually crack the top 6/8.

Formation wise, again, unbalanced. We can’t play a 3-5-2 because I don’t know how you fit Bailey and Buendia in. 4-4-2 sees our midfield get massively overrun and in a 4-2-3-1 we don’t have anyone to play on the left and a defensive midfielder good enough to protect the back 4.

We can’t be done in the market yet. Like I say, we actually need to replace Grealish and buy a quality defensive midfielder. Otherwise, we do not improve and teams will come in and cherry pick our best players next summer. 

Slightly worried.

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886b5igfd3hbt8eqcrlcf

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I think well balanced 11s tend to outperform teams with one or two standout players. It’s just much easier to come up with tactics to nullify a star player than it is to counter an entire team.

We will lose Jack’s ability to create things out of nothing, and dictate the tempo of the play when he’s on the ball. We won’t be as threatening down the left as when we had the Targett/Grealish linkup.

We’ll gain a better press, better shape, more defensive solidity from front to back (Buendia in, Barkley & Grealish out). We’ll be more dangerous on set pieces (Bailey & Ings in). We’ll be more dangerous on the counter with two out and out strikers linking up, and Bailey’s pace. We’ll move the ball more quickly.

Overall I think we should do slightly better. That’s not to say Jack isn’t a massive loss, just that there’s only so much one star man can do, and we’ve strengthened in several positions elsewhere.

Plus the defence will keep improving as they get used to playing together week in week out, and grow more experienced as players.

Mam City don't have one stand out " superstar " either to be fair. Arguably Dr Bruyne, but they are much more of a unit, than individuals.

Whereas Pool had/have Salah for example. As we've seen, when he's off it, they tend to be off it as a whole, as good as Sadio Mane is as well.

I'm assuming they have been trying to address that as well 

Either way, I totally agree with your view.

• Like 1