Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

This is the window that provides a prrfect opportunity to accelerate our progrsssion. We have money to spend, most teams don't. I really hope we dont squander it.

My heart says we'll get a cm and a left sided attacker.

My head says we wont get another attacker but we will get another cm.

1 hour ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Ings or Watkins out left just can't be the plan, surely!?  With the money we have to spend why would we try and force fit a player in an unnatural or non preferred position?

I still think we will play with a slightly narrower front 3 - with Watkins, Ings and Bailey all playing inside of the opposition full-backs and looking for Targett / Cash / Young to provide the width.  I don't think we are a team that will be attacking the byline to whip in crosses.  We're looking for our "wide" forwards to attack the top corners of the box and get in shots / try to work a 1-2 with the "central" striker to fashion a chance.  So Ings or Watkins will not be "stuck out left".  I think Watkins will start on the left but be looking to attack the gap between the right full back and the right sided central defender.  Which is kind of what he was doing last season anyway.  However, I see Ings / Watkins / Bailey all inter-changing to keep the defenders on their toes.  They are all quick, good with the ball at their feet and able to get a shot away quickly.  They aren't all that great in the air.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, allani said:

I still think we will play with a slightly narrower front 3 - with Watkins, Ings and Bailey all playing inside of the opposition full-backs and looking for Targett / Cash / Young to provide the width.  I don't think we are a team that will be attacking the byline to whip in crosses.  We're looking for our "wide" forwards to attack the top corners of the box and get in shots / try to work a 1-2 with the "central" striker to fashion a chance.  So Ings or Watkins will not be "stuck out left".  I think Watkins will start on the left but be looking to attack the gap between the right full back and the right sided central defender.  Which is kind of what he was doing last season anyway.  However, I see Ings / Watkins / Bailey all inter-changing to keep the defenders on their toes.  They are all quick, good with the ball at their feet and able to get a shot away quickly.  They aren't all that great in the air.

No Buendia or is it a 4-2-4?

• Shocked 1

With regards to more incomings, I'm not too sure that there'll be many more. This is nothing to do with how much we have to spend, but more to do with how many players we're going to integrate at once into the first XI.

In my opinion Bailey, Ings, and Buendia will be included in that, along with Sanson once he's fully recovered from his injury. If we had JWP as well there's a chance up to half of our outfield team are going to have no relationships on the field.

Just wonder if we're going to keep our powder dry until the winter transfer window depending on how we're doing.

2 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Basoumma and jwp and for me that's job done this season.

Between 70 to 80 million for those 2 and our team just got the strength reliability and power in the middle.

There is absolutely no way we sign those two for £70m-£80m, Brighton sold a cb for £50m and JWP is Southampton’s captain and most valuable asset.

1 minute ago, Jonesy7211 said:

With regards to more incomings, I'm not too sure that there'll be many more. This is nothing to do with how much we have to spend, but more to do with how many players we're going to integrate at once into the first XI.

In my opinion Bailey, Ings, and Buendia will be included in that, along with Sanson once he's fully recovered from his injury. If we had JWP as well there's a chance up to half of our outfield team are going to have no relationships on the field.

Just wonder if we're going to keep our powder dry until the winter transfer window depending on how we're doing.

The winter window seems to be tougher every year. I think we may still try to bring one or two in before the end of August. 

With what we have at present, how about this

Martinez

Cash               Konsa                    Mings             Targett

Nakamba

Buendia                       McGinn                     Bailey

Ings                       Watkins

1 minute ago, pintpotvilla said:

With what we have at present, how about this

Martinez

Cash               Konsa                    Mings             Targett

Nakamba

Buendia                       McGinn                     Bailey

Ings                       Watkins

For the Watford game Young for Bailey

Edited by pintpotvilla
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Strog said:

The winter window seems to be tougher every year. I think we may still try to bring one or two in before the end of August. 

In theory I'd very much like this to be the case, I just worry with a short preseason and shortened season because of the world cup next year, that settled teams who know each other inside out may have an advantage this year especially.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

No Buendia or is it a 4-2-4?

I think it will be a 4-3-3 or 4-2-1-3 with Emi playing at the front of the middle 3.  Hence why we need a proper DM.  Thing is we have options now with players comfortable in a number of positions.  Bailey injured then we have Traore or Emi who can play "wide right".

4 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

In theory I'd very much like this to be the case, I just worry with a short preseason and shortened season because of the world cup next year, that settled teams who know each other inside out may have an advantage this year especially.

Yes, we’re not at the point where one or two additions are enough. It’s bloody tough as we need to balance recruitment with progress.

2 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

Afraid that's gone over my head 🤔

It’s the just the way it looked on my phone was that Martinez looked a bit off centre. Probably just a poor attempt at humour on my part mate.

52 minutes ago, allani said:

Disagree.  I think our owners and senior officials have a very clear plan and a very ambitious plan.  You don't do as well as they have in life if you give up at the first hurdle.  I still think that they will see this summer as a fantastic opportunity to close in on the teams above us.  Spurs and Arsenal not having "proper" European campaigns will impact heavily on their earnings.  West Ham, Everton and Leeds are struggling to afford decent players.  So with the right recruitment there could be 5 teams there straight away that we can potentially catch.  Some teams are desperate to sell to balance the books after Covid and the collapse of French TV deals.  If ever there was a time for a team outside of one of the European competitions to be able to purchase players "above their level" then this is it.  I think our owners know that.  I think Christian and Dean know that.  The balance is of course being able to bring them through in a way that doesn't rely on them all clicking from Day 1 and maybe they are worried about ensuring that 6 or 7 new signings don't cause too much disruption.  The advantage we have this season is that now we have some good options on the bench.  If Bertie starts a few matches whilst Bailey gets up to speed for example then we are certainly no worse than we were last season in that position.  I think they also know that in 2 - 3 years we will hopefully see some of the Academy kids starting in the first team so we are not looking at having to spend £100 million every season to keep up.  So if the right players are available at the right price - I still think we have a couple of deals in us.

Can't disagree with much there. Right players at the right place is doing some heavy lifting there though.

For example Ming's/Watkins/Target the fees raised some eyebrows at the time. 

Are we going to pay Southampton much more than JWP is perceived to be worth because this is the season to make a move ? (For example) 

Time will tell. For me though another 11th place would be a remarkable achievement.