Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

He’s not their client, but as they are a big agency they are helping with their connections… Don’t know if he’s being offered to us, I just know he’s being offered around the Prem.. 

37 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Soz no Jonathan David … he’s currently represented by a small agency and he’s being touted around … 

Wasserman I assume have a lot of our talent on their books. There was a bit of a thing towards the end of the Lerner years where we were pushing a lot of our players to Wasserman.

Edit: not a lot of current talent just Mings, Kesler, Raikhy. Ex players still with them though include Jordan Ayew, Weimann, Callum Robinson, Callum O'Hare, James Bree, Ashley Westwood. Sure there was more back in the day too

Edited by HalfTimePost

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I just absolutely do not think we can be done. Buendia, for a start, was brought in to play alongside Grealish, I’m sure of it. 

If we’re done in an attacking sense then the club are going to be in for a shock this season when we’re scrapping around for a 10th place finish. All we’ve done is substituted our over reliance on Grealish to create something with Buendia. Who knows how Bailey will settle in. 

It just all seems so unbalanced. Buendia and Bailey both like to play on the right and Ings and Watkins both like to play through the middle. Don’t get me wrong, they’re all very good players and I’m glad we have them but I don’t think we’ll see massive improvement as a team until we actually replace Grealish. Our business will probably see us stand still, I can’t see it improving us. 

Our net spend is what, £-10m? We should have around another £70-90m to invest based on previous seasons and if we don’t go out and buy a quality left sided forward and a defensive midfielder then I think it will be a frustrating season. Our business has been good so far but we’re still short. El Ghazi, Traore and Nakamba can not be getting regular minutes this season if we want to progress. If we want to knock around in midtable then fine, but not it want to actually crack the top 6/8.

Formation wise, again, unbalanced. We can’t play a 3-5-2 because I don’t know how you fit Bailey and Buendia in. 4-4-2 sees our midfield get massively overrun and in a 4-2-3-1 we don’t have anyone to play on the left and a defensive midfielder good enough to protect the back 4.

We can’t be done in the market yet. Like I say, we actually need to replace Grealish and buy a quality defensive midfielder. Otherwise, we do not improve and teams will come in and cherry pick our best players next summer. 

Slightly worried.

You’re right that we haven’t replaced Grealish, Bailey and Buendia were going to form that 3 with him behind Watkins - imo. However Bailey could just as easily play on the left of a 3 with Buendia in the middle or on the right. 

If we’re looking at add another attacker that means we’re not restricted by the position they usually play, it's more a question of quality. We’ll be recruiting the player, not the position, if that makes sense. 

Alvarez is an obvious and well trailed solution, but it’s possible they’re looking to take advantage of the turmoil in Europe and find someone proven at a higher level - which takes time. 

On the DM, absolutely. So as you say everything points to more activity in the market. 

I think we need another CM but the clubs in the tricky position that chuk plus Ramsey x 2 could all actually make it with 2 of them playing a fair bit next season so we might need one next year but not the year after, late in the window loan market could be explored again but Barkley and Drinkwater should have burned our fingers enough 

Someone better than Nakamba would be ideal 

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

You’re right that we haven’t replaced Grealish, Bailey and Buendia were going to form that 3 with him behind Watkins - imo. However Bailey could just as easily play on the left of a 3 with Buendia in the middle or on the right. 

If we’re looking at add another attacker that means we’re not restricted by the position they usually play, it's more a question of quality. We’ll be recruiting the player, not the position, if that makes sense. 

Alvarez is an obvious and well trailed solution, but it’s possible they’re looking to take advantage of the turmoil in Europe and find someone proven at a higher level - which takes time. 

On the DM, absolutely. So as you say everything points to more activity in the market. 

Absolutely, Awol.

The amount of people saying ‘our business is done’ after the Purslow interview baffled me. Even if we’d kept Grealish, I’d still be crying out for a defensive midfielder. 

Ill reserve judgment for now but if we don’t buy another attacking midfielder, whether that be a central option or someone who can play on the left, we’ll massively rely on Buendia and I don’t think we’ll actually challenge the top 8. And then obviously there is the defensive midfield issue which is absolutely critical at this point. Nakamba is mostly rubbish whenever we’re not on the back foot and Sanson/McGinn are more the ‘8’ type of player.

Thankfully I don’t think the club are stupid enough to ignore the two positions I mention above. If decent bids came in for El Ghazi and Luiz/Nakamba (only one) I’d sell. 

There’s a reason we didn’t finish in the top 8 last year and that’s because we’re not good enough. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Maybe one central midfielder coming in. I sense we are done going forwards, doesn't look like El Ghazi etc will be going. 

I'd say the club is standing fast with AEG until we know who what where when is fully fit, window has plenty time left.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Maybe one central midfielder coming in. I sense we are done going forwards, doesn't look like El Ghazi etc will be going. 

Honestly, if that’s the case, I question our leadership. No way we compete for top 8 with our current team.